Extreme budget 6.5 Grendel build. How cheap can you build one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DeoreDX
    Unwashed
    • Sep 2016

Shot the Anderson Grendel barrel yesterday. Just used some cheap Wolf steel ammo to get it on paper and try to zero the scope and break her in a little. Green sheet was shooting supported trying to zero the scope at 100. POI was shifting quite a bit at first and I realized my scope was sliding in the rings from the recoil. Threw the wrong sized allen wrench for the scope ring screws in my shooting bag so I did my best to get them tightened down with the wrong sized wrench. Going to have to pull the scope and get it set correctly and loctite the screws. I didn't have a 6.5 Magazine so I was shooting 3 shot groups with a 556 mag as the rifle seemed to reliably load and feed 3 rounds. Groups circled in green. First two top left. Last bottom right.

Sort of got it adjusted and started shooting at steel and this splatter target at 100 unsupported. Still didn't have the zero 100% dialed in as I gave it up once I saw the scope was sliding in the rings. That's an 8" circle and with the exception of one in the white I was able to get them all in the 5" circle at 100. Next trip will be with Hornady 123gr SST which will be hunting ammo

Comment

• RicosRevenge
      Warrior
      • Jan 2016

Did you bring your rifle or just the shotgun? ;-P

Tighten your stuff up and give us a true range report!!

Comment

• DeoreDX
        Unwashed
        • Sep 2016

Originally posted by RicosRevenge View Post
        Did you bring your rifle or just the shotgun? ;-P

Tighten your stuff up and give us a true range report!!
        Group sizes of 2.2, 1.8, and 3.2. Are you saying I should be expecting better performance out of the Wolf ammo? I've read before it's 2-3MOA ammo and that's what I got. The group not being around the center of the targets has more to do with the scope not being correctly zeroed yet.

The splatter target was shot unsupported in a standing position, kneeling, and sitting position. I consider getting 11/12 shots in the 5.5" ring pretty good shooting shooting without any support.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2015

Better ammo and double check ring screws and finish sight in, it should group a lil tighter I would think.

Try the amax or sst or nbt ammo.

From personal experience the sammi chamber groups easyer then the other chambers. With factory ammo.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
            Administrator
            • Feb 2011

Stick looks cool and I'd be happy to shoot that well unsupported with ANY ammo!
            :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• RicosRevenge
              Warrior
              • Jan 2016

Originally posted by DeoreDX View Post
              Group sizes of 2.2, 1.8, and 3.2. Are you saying I should be expecting better performance out of the Wolf ammo? I've read before it's 2-3MOA ammo and that's what I got. The group not being around the center of the targets has more to do with the scope not being correctly zeroed yet.

The splatter target was shot unsupported in a standing position, kneeling, and sitting position. I consider getting 11/12 shots in the 5.5" ring pretty good shooting shooting without any support.
              No, I'm saying that it wasn't fair to your rifle to show results from a test that it wasn't prepared for. Actually, pretty good results from a rifle handicapped by loose scope rings "sort of adjusted" and Wolf ammo.
              Last edited by RicosRevenge; 10-28-2016, 07:11 PM. Reason: Softer approach...

Comment

• DeoreDX
                Unwashed
                • Sep 2016

Hornady 123gr SST works damned good out of the cheap Anderson barrel. Should work great for hogs and deer. Extremely happy with the performance. Only had 20 minutes this morning and used 9 shots of wolf to dial in the scope. Only 3 shots I took with the Hornady. Shot off the lead sled to take me out of the equation.

Last edited by DeoreDX; 10-29-2016, 01:32 PM.

Comment

• biodsl
                  Chieftain
                  • Aug 2011

Very nice! Looks to me like you have a winner there.
                  Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• DeoreDX
                    Unwashed
                    • Sep 2016

Last edited by DeoreDX; 10-30-2016, 08:29 PM.

Comment

• Chrazy-Chris
                      Warrior
                      • Aug 2015

Wow!! Your first "real" group and you cloverleaf it - amazing. Nice looking rifle, the price is right, and most importantly- it performs. Is this a 16"? I'd be curious to know what velocity you're getting out of it with the 123 SST's. I have a 16" in the mail that I plan to use with the 123 SST's.

Looking forward to seeing some more groups and some deer carnage!

Comment

• diddlyv
                        Warrior
                        • Aug 2016

My 16 inch barrier defense (think it is an anderson barrel but...) gets ave 2435 FPS with 123 SST and my 20 inch odin gets 2525 essentially 15 fps more per inch.
                        Queen of Battle
                        Follow Me

Life NRA, DAV ,VFW, SASS

Comment

• DeoreDX
                          Unwashed
                          • Sep 2016

Originally posted by diddlyv View Post
                          My 16 inch barrier defense (think it is an anderson barrel but...) gets ave 2435 FPS with 123 SST and my 20 inch odin gets 2525 essentially 15 fps more per inch.
                          Carbine gas? Not sure if that will effect the fps but that looks like a good number I can borrow to plug into my ballistic calculator. Haven't decided where my final zero will be yet.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

That's the velocity (2435) I get with Hornady 123 grain SST with my 16" carbine gas system J&T 6.5 Grendel.

Comment

• Christopher67
                              Warrior
                              • May 2015

Originally posted by DeoreDX View Post
                              My first post after reading and browsing these forums quite a bit. I'm trying to see how cheap I can build my dad a 6.5 Grendel. After back and shoulder surgery he can't operate a bolt action quite as well as he used too so I'm wanting to suprise him with a 6.5G for Christmas. I don't need sub MOA match type accuracy, of I can get sub 1-2MOA with good quality ammo that should be enough practical accuracy for him to take hogs and deer inside of 200-300 yards which would be at the extreme edges of the ranges he would normally shoot at.

So here is my build list so far. Complete rifle will be at $623.37 which includes all shipping and FFL charges.

Anderson AR 6.5G Component,Description,Status,Vendor,Price,Shipping/FFL,Link Upper Receiver, AR15 Matrix Upper Receiver,Purchansed,Chandler Hardwood,$59.00,$0.00,http://www.chandlerhardwoods.com/product-p/ar15-ur-m-l.htm B...

I've been debating upping the budget a hair to get the Doublestar chrome lined 16" from JT distributing. Not sure if there is a budget bolt that would pair well with the barrel. That would be $163 shipped for a muzzle device and the Doubestar barrel. Bolt is goign to be close to $100 after shipping and then add the carrier so it would be about $100 more than going with the Anderson bolt/BCG combo. My dad isn't the most meticulous as cleaning his firearms so chrome lining would probably be a plus. But then it wouldn't be as cheap as I could build one

Pictures of what I have so far minus Charging handle, gas block and gas tube.

[/url]

Question for you, or anyone that knows.... https://www.andersonrifles.com/?s=6....t_type=product

Barrel says Chamber: Grendel 1 & the BCG says nothing? Are they both type 1 or type II? Thanks in advance.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                                Chieftain
                                • Mar 2011

That is the question of the year for me. Anderson seems to have created a unique chamber bolt combination. SAAMI 6.5 Grendel chamber use .136 bolt face depth and Anderson says their bolt is .135 which has been verified by a forum member. Another member posted a response from Anderson stating their chamber uses a compound throat with .295 neck. The 6.5 Grendel SAAMI chamber uses a compound throat with .300 neck. Unless someone does a cast of Anderson chamber it's anyone's guess what the specific dimensions are used.

The Type I designation is used by Black Hole Weaponry to differentiate between barrels chambered for 7.62X39 bolts (.125 bolt face depth) and Type II for barrels chambered to use 6.5 Grendel (.136 bolt face depth). Up to Anderson being released barrels that shot 6.5 Grendel ammunition used either 6.5 Grendel bolts or 7.62X39 bolts.

The other confusion arouses from Satern/Liberty using a different chamber design called Grendel II. What does Anderson do but create a new named chamber called Grendel 1. This is why so many people suggest staying with the known design submitted by Alexander Arms and Hornady and accepted by SAAMI.

Is .001 difference in the bolt face depth significant, all depends on each individual chamber. The SAAMI certification of the 6.5 Grendel ammunition and chamber specs was supposed to help off set all this confusion. Obviously market forces, manufacturing capacity and ignorance are coming into play with the 6.5 Grendel.
                                Last edited by VASCAR2; 11-02-2016, 08:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X