• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gurvey
    Unwashed
    • Sep 2016

Flattened, slightly extruded primers with hornady a-max 123 gr

I chose the grendel as my first build. I shot a few boxes of wpa 100 gr through it but wasn't impressed with the accuracy. After switching to hornady 123 gr accuracy improved but primers are flattened, slightly extruded and have a nipple in the middle. Best I can figure fp came close to puncturing. I tried posting pictures but can't for whatever reason. Out of 6 cases 4 have these small nipples that don't extend past the flattened primer.
    Excessive pressure? Too much head space? Or bad batch?
  • Gurvey
    Unwashed
    • Sep 2016

Before anyone asks... It's a
    Double star 20" stainless barrel .963
    Matched Alexander bolt
    JP FMOS bcg
    Aero upper

Comment

• rabiddawg
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2013

figure out the pic posting and I guarantee someone will jump on this for you.
      Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• Rickc
        Warrior
        • Aug 2016

Originally posted by Gurvey View Post
        I chose the grendel as my first build. I shot a few boxes of wpa 100 gr through it but wasn't impressed with the accuracy. After switching to hornady 123 gr accuracy improved but primers are flattened, slightly extruded and have a nipple in the middle. Best I can figure fp came close to puncturing. I tried posting pictures but can't for whatever reason. Out of 6 cases 4 have these small nipples that don't extend past the flattened primer.
        Excessive pressure? Too much head space? Or bad batch?
        all pressure signs. Measure the difference between a factory round and your fired brass with a hornady headspace gauge. What I found was a factory round was 2.225 and a fired round was 2.233. I like to have a .003 to .005 shoulder bump in an AR. 0.008 I think is excessive. I will set my reloading die up for a 0.003 shoulder bump. Wonder if that is partially the cause.

Comment

• JASmith
          Chieftain
          • Sep 2014

Please put up your pictures -- the verbal description sounds like you may have a headspace or early bolt unlock issue rather than too much pressure.

For now, however, all we can do is speculate and one answer is as good as another.
          shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
          -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• Gurvey
            Unwashed
            • Sep 2016

Okay I figured it out. I had to crop the down really small. Another thing I was thinking was maybe firing pin is too long? I assumed all fp we're equal so I probably bought a cheap one.
            Attached Files

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

Inspect your firing pin.

Something is odd.
              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Bill257
                Bloodstained
                • Oct 2015

While inspecting the firing pin check the bolt face and hole the firing pin rides. Is there any indication the firing pin has any excessive space around it? How does the tip of the firing pin look?

If you have a new/spare firing pin use that for comparison...

Presuming this is factory loaded ammo, if not what is the charge?

Comment

• Gurvey
                  Unwashed
                  • Sep 2016

It is factory ammo. The firing pin seemed fine but I don't have another to compare it to. I'll look at the bolt tonight. I have a new fp ordered so when I get it I'll shoot a few and see if it helps.

Comment

Working...
                  X