• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FLS
    Bloodstained
    • Oct 2015

Grendel is making a strong showing

I've been running my Grendel in some DM and precision matches here in the Carolina's, and it has impressed me. The DM matches are two man teams shooting 1-2 MOA reactive steel out to 600. The precision matches are individual, shooting one to two MOA steel out to 1k from various field positions and props on the clock. In the past I've run a 308 gasser in the DMs and 6.5 Creedmoor bolt gun in the precision matches. The Grendel is giving me the best of both, only bested by the big 6.5 beyond 800. I've managed a couple of stage wins and top ten finishes against some stiff competition with the little gun. All with factory 123 Amax ammo. I'm loving this rifle!
    Attached Files
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

Congrats. Initially, I wrote it off as too anemic for competition at long range against the usual suspects other than .308 and .223, but I think there is something to be said for the lack of fatigue when shooting 6.5 Grendel, ease of shooting positions, maneuverability, as well as the performance in the wind.

If you used the 123gr Scenar, you would have less drift, .4 mils less at 1000yds.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
      Administrator
      • Feb 2011

Very cool!
      :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• FLS
        Bloodstained
        • Oct 2015

Most of our matches will have one or two stages with a few targets past 800. The majority are 800 and in. The DM matches are more like a precision 3 gun match. Lots of movement and awkward shooting positions. That's where it really shines. The 5.56 guns struggle with the reactive targets out past 500, and the recoil of the 308 gasser made follow ups tough if you aren't in a really solid position. I'm shooting it this weekend at The Guardian match. I've run bolt guns in the past and done pretty well. This year the format has gone from PRS type format, of points per target to an Outlaw time plus format.
        Last edited by FLS; 09-20-2016, 11:21 AM.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
          Administrator
          • Feb 2011

Good luck in your upcoming match!
          :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• LR1955
            Super Moderator
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by FLS View Post
            I've been running my Grendel in some DM and precision matches here in the Carolina's, and it has impressed me. The DM matches are two man teams shooting 1-2 MOA reactive steel out to 600. The precision matches are individual, shooting one to two MOA steel out to 1k from various field positions and props on the clock. In the past I've run a 308 gasser in the DMs and 6.5 Creedmoor bolt gun in the precision matches. The Grendel is giving me the best of both, only bested by the big 6.5 beyond 800. I've managed a couple of stage wins and top ten finishes against some stiff competition with the little gun. All with factory 123 Amax ammo. I'm loving this rifle!
            FLS:

I have always said that these types of matches are ideal for the Grendel. Probably the 6.8 too given the heavier bullets.

That said, few here who use the Grendel win these matches and I am not sure why.

Do you think it is more skill or more the rifle / cartridge / optic combination?

LR55

Comment

• FLS
              Bloodstained
              • Oct 2015

I think the Grendel just doesn't have a big following compared to the 223/556 or 308. At least half the guys I shoot with are military, former military or LEOs, and they tend to use what they are familiar with. The Grendel is great for the 600 and in DM matches, no so much for the PRS style matches with longer shots at smaller targets and limited round counts. The hardcore PRS guys are running 6.5 and 6 mm bolt guns. As good as the Grendel is, bond 800 it can't keep up with the bigger cartridges.
              I have just started using the Grendel myself, but I've made decent showings with it.

Comment

• Texas
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2016

I would think that LEOS, former military, and current military would have a real appreciation for how the 6.5 Grendel turns the BOY into a MAN

Comment

• FLS
                  Bloodstained
                  • Oct 2015

Originally posted by Texas View Post
                  I would think that LEOS, former military, and current military would have a real appreciation for how the 6.5 Grendel turns the BOY into a MAN
                  The guys that are active are shooting their work guns, OBRs and M2010s. The LEOs that are shooing their work guns, are usually shooting a 308. They may appreciate it, but it's not something they have used or will use. The Grendels, problem is it's a tweener. It's way better than the 556 out of a small frame but can't keep up with a 260 or 6.5 Creedmoor out of a large frame. The guys that are serious about winning want every advantage, and the bigger cartridges give them that, so that's what they build or buy.

Comment

• jameshenry
                    Unwashed
                    • Sep 2016

Great info. A LEO shooting beyond 100 yd in a work situation, would it happen?

Comment

• biodsl
                      Chieftain
                      • Aug 2011

Originally posted by jameshenry View Post
                      Great info. A LEO shooting beyond 100 yd in a work situation, would it happen?
                      Back in the day when I hung around with LEOs, the thought was that the most likely sniper shot over 100 yards would occur in an airport hijack situation. A plane on the tarmac probably wouldn't allow for typical LE engagement distances.

You probably heard about a little situation we had here in Oregon at the Malheur Wildlife Refuge. 100 yards is spitting distance in that neck of the woods.

If you don't have a Grendel handy, you can just use your handgun.
                      Holding the reins of two horses with one hand, Austin Police Sgt. Adam Johnson raised his service pistol and fired a bullseye into the target some 312 feet away.
                      Last edited by biodsl; 09-24-2016, 12:49 AM. Reason: Added news story
                      Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• FLS
                        Bloodstained
                        • Oct 2015

Shot the Guardian match today with Grendel. It's a fundraiser for Bethany Christian Services. Took 6th overall out of 70+ shooters, with two stage wins. Rifle is running great, and made a strong showing against some top PRS shooters and gear. We engaged 1-2 MOA targets out to 1001 yds. Had several shooters inquiring about the Grendel during and after the match.

Comment

• biodsl
                          Chieftain
                          • Aug 2011

Congratulations, FLS. Exciting stuff! Tell us a little more about your barrel, optic, and other favorite equipment.
                          Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• LRRPF52
                            Super Moderator
                            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by FLS View Post
                            Shot the Guardian match today with Grendel. It's a fundraiser for Bethany Christian Services. Took 6th overall out of 70+ shooters, with two stage wins. Rifle is running great, and made a strong showing against some top PRS shooters and gear. We engaged 1-2 MOA targets out to 1001 yds. Had several shooters inquiring about the Grendel during and after the match.
                            Congrats. For a 70 shooter match, 6th place is very high, especially with seasoned PRS shooters present.
                            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• FLS
                              Bloodstained
                              • Oct 2015

Thanks fellas. They keep statistics on the match. There were 3 Grendels competing, my buddy shot his JP, and I don't know what the other guy shot. My rifle is a parts gun. PSA, blem upper and lowers. SDE trigger with a JP trigger spring ( 3 pounds), 24" AA barrel, MI fore end, and a Magpul PRS stock. The optic is a Bushnell DMR in an Aadland mount. I was shooting factory 123 Amax ammo.
                              I attribute my two stage wins to running the Grendel. First was 6 flashers from 250 to 425 yds. The firing positions were off the top of plastic 55 gallon drums and you could only see part of the array from each position. Having an accurate semiato rifle with minimal recoil enabled me to clear the stage in 50 seconds.
                              The second was a Know Your Limits stage. There were 3 gongs, 10", 8", and 6", engaged from a set of wooden stairs. If you hit the ten you can stop and take your points or move on but, if you miss lose all points. This one had a twist, if you cleaned it you could re engage getting as many points as possible till par time ran out. I had a 15 round magazine and got 15 hits. Next closest was 10 hits. The bolt gun guys simply couldn't keep up. The only disadvantage was on the longest target. I'm pretty sure I was hitting it, but with wind and really bad mirage the RO couldn't be sure so, no impact. The bigger guns were moving the target and giving and audible report.

Comment

Working...
                              X