• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kilco
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2016

2016 Maine bull Moose tag, 6.5 Grendel?

Gentleman! I got drawn for the 2016 Maine Moose lottery for a bull in zone 3 (my home zone) for Oct 10-15th. Kicking myself in the butt for selling my Grendel upper to a impatient customer a month ago, Because now im the one waiting on a Barrel/Bolt =/
    The 20" Shilen barrel was stupid accurate, but also stupid heavy for my intended purposes for the gun.
    Hoping my new barrel and bolt come in before then, Id love to put my 100 TTSX load to work! If not, Ill have to resort to the 260 and my nuclear 127LRX/Superformance load.
    Hoping to have some footage for you guys to really put a sock in all the haters mouths!
    Last edited by Kilco; 07-12-2017, 09:07 PM.
  • JASmith
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2014

How large do your moose run?

The 100 gr TTSX should produce wound channels that are similar in size to what one sees with a 140 - 150 gr SST.

Have you looked at either the 127 gr LRX or the 129 ge ABLR?

Here is a method for determing what size bullets should be effective given good shot placement: http://shootersnotes.com/ideal-bullet-weight/
    shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
    -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• Kilco
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2016

They run between 700-900 pounds average. Every now and then a big 1000 pound smasher. I can get the 100 TTSX going 2750 with 8208XBR without going crazy.
      In my gun the 127LRX (not to mention the 127LRX is almost as long as the 142 ELD-X) and 129 ABLR were simply too slow. Many years of hunting moose and I can say with confidence the highest number of easy recoveries ive seen were with a TSX,TTSX or LRX being pushed hard. A good friends wife got a 800 pound cow last year with a 6.5CM pushing a 127 LRX 2750. My sister shot her 750 pound cow with my 243ai and a 80gr TTSX going 3100 fps. Dropped in 20 yards.
      These big moose are a great demonstration of just how significant placement and penetration are. Two things the 6.5G excels in.
      Last edited by Kilco; 09-21-2016, 06:35 PM.

Comment

• cory
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2012

What are your anticipated ranges and what length barrel do you have ordered?

If it's suitable for your range and barrel length I'd highly suggest the 120gr TSX. I love the 100gr TTSX, but your Moose are much larger than any game I'll take in my area.
        "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Kilco
          Chieftain
          • Jan 2016

Typical ranges are from 75 to 400 yards. Beauty of hunting in maine, you go from thick brush and step out to a large broccoli field, then make your way through a blow down.
          I used the 120 TSX and TTSX for years in my 260 and 6.5 Rem mag. However they are about the same length as a 140 amax or 140 ELD-M, and rob too much case capacity in the Grendel case (in my experience anyways). I see other use them and have success, I'm just looking for all the velocity I can squeeze. I'm waiting on a 18" lightweight barrel from JP enterprise.
          Last edited by Kilco; 07-12-2017, 09:08 PM.

Comment

• JASmith
            Chieftain
            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Kilco View Post
            Typical ranges are from 75 to 400 yards...
            There is a potential OOPS here!

Check your calculated impact velocity at 400 yards for the weather conditions and altitude for your hunting area and time of year. Colder and lower slow the bullets faster than one might think!

Compare that velocity against the 2000 fps threshold expansion velocity shown on page 50 of Volume 2 of the 6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbook. That number was derived from tests run while writing the book. Representative pictures of gel-tested bullets are at the top of page 49.

Your bullet wants to be going faster to reliably expand.

Your calculations may take you to the 129 gr ABLR even though the muzzle velocity is lower than you like.

Alternatively, limit your max shot distance to less than the range where the bullet drops below 2000 fps.
            shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
            -- Author Unknown

Comment

• Grendelseeker
              Bloodstained
              • Jul 2016

Yes, I'm no expert but I shoot TSX & TTSX in 3 calibers so far and I think of 2000 fps as the minimum impact velocity, since Barnes states 1800. My experience with them has been with impact velocities in the 2700 - 2900 range, and they work quite well at those speeds.

Comment

• Kilco
                Chieftain
                • Jan 2016

I've had similar experience with Barnes, and due to this I've always ran light and fast. I agree also, that below 2000 fps it would probably be best to leave to my back out gun. (I always carry the 260, but the new 28 Nosler is a blast)
                Still, situation permitting I would like the opportunity to use the Grendel. Very excited about the lighter build.. Just my opinion, but once an AR15 gets over 9 pounds, might as well carry a bolt gun.

Comment

• Slappy
                  Warrior
                  • Feb 2014

Hope you get the parts and hope you get a Mooses!! and hope you have some video/pictures. Best of luck to ya!! BANG BANG!!

Comment

• BoxofRox
                    Bloodstained
                    • Dec 2015

Very interested to see the results, but I think you're on the right track with using the 100gr barnes bullet. Just try to close the distance as much as possible.

Comment

• sneaky one
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

Kilco, I can send you some 95- or 105 GMX pills to try , any interest?

Comment

• Kilco
                        Chieftain
                        • Jan 2016

Absolutly! I'm not worried about it in the least. One thing people tend to forget is there is no "one shot rule" and Moose are slow. At any kind of extended range, I fully intend to utilize the Grendel semi-automatic prowess.

Comment

• Kilco
                          Chieftain
                          • Jan 2016

Sneaky, I wasn't aware of a 95gr GMX! I appreciate your offer but I'm overdue for a powder valley order.. Load the same as the 100 TTSX?

Comment

• JASmith
                            Chieftain
                            • Sep 2014

Powder Valley won't likely have the 95 gr GMX.

Sneaky is THE source of the 95 gr GMX!

You can get 86, 95, and 107 gr Copper hunting bullets from GS Custom USA even though they are pricey.

You would load the 107 gr GS Custom HV much the same as you would the 107 gr SMK.

My preliminary tests with it suggest that the impact velocity wants to be 1800 fps or above to be sure of one caliber expansion at the target.

I am a strong proponent of Sneaky's drive to get lighter leady free ommercial bullets available for deer and elk. That said, my comfort level with even the 107 gr GS Custom for the larger Moose is not good.

My advice, give GS Custom a call and ask about your goal. I know they are more optimistic than I BUT they have a huge experience base with their line of bullets!
                            shootersnotes.com

-- Author Unknown

Comment

• Kilco
                              Chieftain
                              • Jan 2016

Wasn't able to get the Grendel finished in time.. 260 pushing the 143 eld-x did the trick just fine though

Comment

Working...
                              X