• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sovapatriot
    Bloodstained
    • Sep 2016

I have taken the plunge now I need a little help

Let me start off by saying I have been into ARs for about 12 years and have built a lot of them for myself, my brother and friends. Lots of 5.56 and a fair amount of 300blks and one 6.8 for a friend who wouldn't let me talk him into 6.5 (you can lead the horse to water and all). Ive always wanted a couple of out of the norm calibers so this year so far I have built a 458 socom and an Aero m5 308 the last one that I wanted to round out my AR collection was a Grendel the hang up was I'm not a fan of long barrels and I like suppressors and finding a 16" Grendel barrel with 5/8x24 barrel threading that wasn't crazy heavy was a daunting task. I joined up here and found BluntForceTraumas group buy just in time and jumped in head first.

Now that the background is out of the way. Here is my intended use and build specs so far.
    What I have:
    Anderson Arms Lower (before I get flamed I have used a lot of these and found the quality to be above the price point)
    Aero Precision upper
    DPMS LPK minus the trigger
    Mil spec 6 position tube
    BCM QD sling plate
    Faxon group buy barrel. 16", mid length gas

What I'm going to get:
    Geissele SD-E trigger
    Magpul ACS stock
    Precision Firearms phalanx bolt (nickel boron variety)
    Griffin Armament snatch charging handle
    Midwest industries keymod handguard
    Superlative Arms adjustable gas block
    Silencerco ASR flash hider

Now for questions: will there be any need for a heavy buffer or + power buffer spring with the 6.5 given I'll be using the adjustable gas block and a can at times? Are the ASC and E-lander mags be good to go?

I'll be using this carbine for hunting mainly. Coyote and Deer maybe a hog at some point and 350 yards and in and I'm not a reloader so what ammo do you guys suggest for the barrel and distance?

Thanks a lot, I'm happy to be here Tyler!
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

I like using H2 buffers for MLGS 16" with the correct port size (.076").

123gr Hornady AMAX and 123gr Hornady SST are easy answers for your deer and coyote hunting needs.

I've had good results with most Grendel mags. I have pre-production E-Landers from AA. The 17rd was tight at first fitting in mag wells, but that went away after a few uses.

I haven't had any malfunctions with CProducts mags, other than failure to lock back on last round in one of my rifles.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• robertc1024
      Bloodstained
      • Aug 2015

I would think you'd be good with your adjustable gas block from what I've read. I put a rifle buffer on mine with a regular block with no problems. My 10 round E-Lander's were super stiff and acted weird when they were fully loaded and new. After I stuffed them full of shells and let them sit on a shelf for a few weeks, they have been flawless.

Comment

• sovapatriot
        Bloodstained
        • Sep 2016

Excellent! I noticed the barrel I got has a .078 gas port but I assume that my block can make up the difference if need be. I assume from all I've read taking the Grendel out to 350 on the game I mentioned is no issue even from a 16" barrel? I will be ordering some mags ASAP

Comment

Working...
        X