• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

New Gear

Solving problems with load bearing gear that have bothered many people for decades.

This is a split-front vest, but uses the space like an AK chest harness without losing several inches like split-front vests tend to do.

It also has integrated Camelbak hose routing, so there is no snagging of the hose.

One of the new SAW pouch designs:

Trauma sheers and multitool pouches on the outside:

Elastic loops on sides of my new magazine pouch design. It is easier and faster to grab a magazine from these pouches than it is a taco. They are fully enclosed, but open in a different way. They hold both AR15 and AR10/SR25/M14/SCAR mags, but work very well for both, without sacrificing the benefits of smaller M4 mag pouches.

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com
  • 2_speed
    Bloodstained
    • Nov 2011

Got a rough price estimate?
    Thanks, Tom

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

The vest is MOLLE, so it has provisions for however you want to configure it. This one has:

1 x Camelbak carrier
      2 x Triple M4/Double SR25-M14-FAL/Double AK magazine pouches with side small utility pouch (lighter/pocketknife/mini multitool) and elastic loops for chem lights or shotgun cartridges
      1 x Double M4/Single SR25-M14-FAL mag pouch with 2 chem light/shotgun cartridge loops on one side
      1 x Medium Utility Pouch with divider, internal elastic retention for first aid, batteries
      2 x SAW/Utility Pouches with internal elastic retention, trauma shear pouch, multitool pouch, and MOLLE webbing on the sides
      2 x canteen/utility pouches

I'll be making some dedicated and semi-configurable vests that have common pouch configurations and will be sold as a complete system. I often find a need for a lighter, lower profile rig when doing courses, hiking, or just some flat range work, and different people have different chest sizes. I've never liked any of the small AK-type chest harnesses on the market, so I will tackle that with an anatomical approach and better pouch design, at an affordable price.

My vest that I use easily has over $350 in it, but it has a lot of pouches that most people don't need. It carries twice the water that you normally would carry.

The smaller chest harnesses will be in the $100-$180 region, where you can carry a basic load of mags, have at least 2 utility pouches, and a Camelbak.
      Last edited by LRRPF52; 09-25-2016, 03:54 PM.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Kilco
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2016

How cumbersome would this be to take hunting? And caring a bag?

Comment

• 2_speed
          Bloodstained
          • Nov 2011

I'm thinking configuring for hunting, not quite as much stuff as a day pack but with enough orange pouches etc to satisfy hunting regs. It looks a lot more handy than a full vest setup.

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Kilco View Post
            How cumbersome would this be to take hunting? And caring a bag?
            I've done both with it several times, and have used it overseas working with coalition partners in Europe.

This is the larger vest that has more options for pouches that some people might not want. You don't have to attach what you don't want though.

It works very well combined with a 3-day pack.

I'll post pics of the lower profile vests soon.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by 2_speed View Post
              I'm thinking configuring for hunting, not quite as much stuff as a day pack but with enough orange pouches etc to satisfy hunting regs. It looks a lot more handy than a full vest setup.
              For hunting, I carry energy bars, cell phone, and a radio in the mag pouches, with one spare mag. We don't have capacity regulations in Utah, so I keep one other magazine just in case.

I make sure I have my binos, Camelbak full, gloves, watch cap, and survival items. I had no problems carrying this and my 3-day pack at over 9000 ft elevation last elk season, for 5 days.

I can make hunter orange pouches for you no problem. I have the material already. These pouches have 3 layers. The outer Cordura layer, foam in the middle, and a sturdy but light packcloth liner inside.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Kilco
                Chieftain
                • Jan 2016

What do you use for elk? Your Grendel? If so what one and what load?

Comment

• diddlyv
                  Warrior
                  • Aug 2016

Mmmm great concept. Were I to have a vote for useful items perhaps the front pouch be configured to carry binos with a pocket for a range finder. I only say this because as high as it is riding my binos normally on my chest would be bumping my chin.
                  Queen of Battle
                  Follow Me

Life NRA, DAV ,VFW, SASS

Comment

• Flyguy11
                    Warrior
                    • Nov 2015

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                    Solving problems with load bearing gear that have bothered many people for decades.

This is a split-front vest, but uses the space like an AK chest harness without losing several inches like split-front vests tend to do.

It also has integrated Camelbak hose routing, so there is no snagging of the hose.

One of the new SAW pouch designs:

Trauma sheers and multitool pouches on the outside:

Elastic loops on sides of my new magazine pouch design. It is easier and faster to grab a magazine from these pouches than it is a taco. They are fully enclosed, but open in a different way. They hold both AR15 and AR10/SR25/M14/SCAR mags, but work very well for both, without sacrificing the benefits of smaller M4 mag pouches.

"YOUR LOOKIN DEAD SEXYA!" Quote from: Fat Bastard

Comment

• LRRPF52
                      Super Moderator
                      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by diddlyv View Post
                      Mmmm great concept. Were I to have a vote for useful items perhaps the front pouch be configured to carry binos with a pocket for a range finder. I only say this because as high as it is riding my binos normally on my chest would be bumping my chin.
                      I include provisions for installing dividers in the utility and SAW pouches, which are all padded, to include the divider.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• am4966
                        Chieftain
                        • Jul 2014

Nice job on the design Paul! The items you bring to market imo are great. This is something I might look at come next year. List all my hunting clothes and packs in a flood. So I'll need to resupply my items.
                        12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
                        Surge - Rugged Suppressor
                        Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• LRRPF52
                          Super Moderator
                          • Sep 2014

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• LRRPF52
                            Super Moderator
                            • Sep 2014

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• LRRPF52
                              Super Moderator
                              • Sep 2014

Pouches are 3 layers:

Outer is DuPont Cordura, in this case, 500D for reduced weight.

Inner layer is a nylon pack cloth, 400D, for abrasion resistance against linked ammunition, sharp edges of SAW drums, and sharp corners on feed lips, magazine stops, and things that can snag.

Between the 2 layers is padding all around, to dampen impact on electronics such as NODs, LRFs, binos, and weather stations.

Removable dividers add customization per the user requirements. You can set up a mag pouch for additional mags or empties, while still having room for gloves, binos, NV devices, along with elastic retention for your batteries, spoon, first aid, chem lights, lip balm, and markers.

Outside on the SAW pouches, I can place multitool pouches, trauma sheer pouch with shock cord retention and snap with tab, chem light elastic and/or MOLLE webbing on the sides of the pouches.

There is basically 30 years of my personal experience collecting, deploying with, modifying, and making my own gear, much of it inspired by the creativity we were allowed in several of the reconnaissance units I was in.
                              Last edited by LRRPF52; 10-24-2016, 10:04 PM.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                              X