• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bisley
    Bloodstained
    • Sep 2016

First Upper Build

Hello all, new here, but to the sport or AR. A lever and bolt guy all my life I got bit by the bug about two years ago when I found out you could build your own. I am an ironworker, and naturally mechanical, and the idea of building it myself appealed to me greatly. I have machined many lowers but always bought complete uppers.......until now. I finally figured if I can build million dollar cranes I can build an AR upper. I ordered a WOA upper since they were very cheap due to a lighter than wanted color and the fact that I am thrilled with my WOA SPR complete upper. The FF tube is from a local dealer. Very inexpensive, but great quality and light. The BHW barrel came from Surplus Ammo along with the bolt head. The scope is a 10yo $100 Bushnell Banner 6-18x50. It was the only one I had to put on it for now, but will likely end up with another Vortex 6.5-20x44 again. This is my first 6.5 Grendel. I wanted a decent caliber without the AR308 weight. This looked like it should fill that bill perfectly. I started ordering parts for it three weeks ago and finished putting it on one of my 80% lower builds a week ago today. Had my first range trip last Sunday and all I can say is WOW!!! Factory Hornady 123gr SST's for now until I get my dies, but I was still amazed with the Hornady ammo. It took two shots to dial in at 25 yards. Then six more at 50 yards. Two of those were just because I wanted to shoot it lol. The last twelve shots were fired in less than three minutes as I walked it down at 100 yards then bumped it back up ever so slightly. I hunt and am no bench guy. Excitement gets the better of me on a bench, but I do have my moments. While the last five shots are totally acceptable, the four in one hole show me the real potential of the rifle with someone that can shoot it. Also can't wait to put more than the 20 rounds through it and see what happens when she really breaks in. Going to take the 16yo nephew out tomorrow to try and bust some bunnies while scouting for birds. Can't wait!

• VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Glad to hear everything came together on your build. Your scope looks pretty low with those rings or is just an illusion by the size of adjustable objective lense. If your scope is to low you might look at a one piece mount designed for AR-15's. I'm using a one piece mount with a 20 MOA cant so I have enough elevation on my scope to shoot a 1000 yards plus. Shooting steel at long range with the 6.5 Grendel is very satisfying and fun!

Comment

• Bisley
      Bloodstained
      • Sep 2016

Thank you, and you are correct, it is very low. I don't shoot long range so this was built as strictly a hunting rig, thus the low mounted scope. If I do get the bug though, I will certainly have no choice but to elevate it. I will not rule it out, but for now it is my new light-medium hunting rig, but you never know..................

Comment

Working...
      X