• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 79inpa
    Bloodstained
    • Aug 2015

lead free reasonably priced 6.5 grendel

I'm thinking about getting a 6.5 Grendel but I would like to have some decently priced lead free ammo to blast around with. I'm not even seeing any projectile tips that can be reloaded pretty cheaply enough that I can afford to reload a bunch of them.

I think that this is one area that the .223 is better than the Grendel. I can usually find lead free .224 diameter bullets at a reasonable rate.

Did I miss anything?
  • JASmith
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2014

Why do you need lead free for blasting?
    shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
    -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• am4966
      Chieftain
      • Jul 2014

Lehigh Defense 95gr 36.?? Per 100 and of coarse the 556 well have more options with lead free. Since you need a great bullet to kill anything of size and that's not really guareented, imo. However the lead free only usage does have me confused. So maybe you'll fill use in.
      12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
      Surge - Rugged Suppressor
      Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• 79inpa
        Bloodstained
        • Aug 2015

I was just wanting something to shoot on my own property without throwing a lot of lead around. also some shooting ranges have been lead free.

Comment

• JASmith
          Chieftain
          • Sep 2014

Thanks!

That 95 gr Lehigh Defense bullet is competitively priced compared to mid-level lead core bullets. The price for 250 is currently $82.50 which works out to be about 33 cents a round.

The shipping fees are modest too.

Last edited by JASmith; 09-26-2016, 03:01 PM. Reason: Added Link
          shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
          -- Author Unknown

Comment

• diddlyv
            Warrior
            • Aug 2016

Not really wanting to hijack the tread but, will that 95 grainer make a good hog killer given my rifle does not seem to like the 120 GMX.
            Queen of Battle
            Follow Me

Life NRA, DAV ,VFW, SASS

Comment

• JASmith
              Chieftain
              • Sep 2014

Yup!
              shootersnotes.com

-- Author Unknown

Comment

• diddlyv
                Warrior
                • Aug 2016

how about the dog size WT deer that inhabit AZ
                Queen of Battle
                Follow Me

Life NRA, DAV ,VFW, SASS

Comment

• JASmith
                  Chieftain
                  • Sep 2014

The 85 gr Sierra will work for those -- if one doesn't mind a lot of meat damge!

It does, however, tend to come apart real fast. Sierra uses the term 'explosive' I think. I believe it!

Nonetheless, it will still come apart beyond 400 yards for many loads and bareel lengths.

More seriously, the 86 gr GS Custom bullet (lead free) will do those and even the 330 lb northern whitetail deer nicely.
                  Last edited by JASmith; 10-01-2016, 02:53 AM.
                  shootersnotes.com

-- Author Unknown

Comment

Working...
                  X