• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jamichau
    Unwashed
    • Jul 2016

One Scope, or Two?

I'm a newbie to higher caliber rifles. I'd only owned a 10/22 with open sights until I recently purchased an MGI Hydra with which I can shoot 3 calibers: 5.56, 300 Blackout, and 6.5 Grendel. I would like to purchase one scope that I can use effectively with all three cartridges, meaning as useful at 200 yards as it is out to 800-1000. Is this unrealistic, or might I be able to purchase one that fits the bill? I'm interested in Vortex brand, but not necessarily committed to it. Thanks, in advance, for any advice.
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

I've had a few MGI Hydra's as well. I still have my original Gen I upper sitting somewhere.

I would use the most compact scope available, and rely on a hash-based reticle, with different dope disks from Vortex for your different barrels and loads if you end up sticking with just one upper.

For me, I found that I normally left one barrel in the upper, and it was too easy to just build dedicated uppers for each.

What I did end up using the MGI for was a nice covert carry in a laptop case, on trips where I wanted to be more discreet.

I would recommend the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x for your needs, followed by one of the Razor HD 1-6x if your budget is a bit more.

Get the Vortex dope disks made to your specs once you know your drop for a specific set of conditions. http://dopedisks.vortexoptics.com/
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Chrazy-Chris
      Warrior
      • Aug 2015

6x at 1000yrds sounds like quite the challenge to me. I use a 21 power scope on my 1000yrd gun. Previously, I had a 16x and that worked but the 21x made it a lot easier. I'd recommend you take a look at the Vortex PST 4-16 or 6-24. Or you can pick up a used Bushnell Elite GDMR 3-21. Not sure what your budget is. At 3 power, the reticle is super fine though... I think it is designed to go that low for NV use.

Comment

• Klem
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2013

200 yards is not 'close' so you can get away with a higher low-end magnification if you know what I mean. Something like a 5*, which means in the relatively cheaper 4* zoom ratio range of scopes the upper end will be around 20*. If shooting at 1,000yards the more upper end magnification the better. Anything below 20* and you will struggle at 1,000.

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

That 4-16x50 or 6-24x50 is going to look awfully funny when shooting 300 BLK.

My recommendation was based on the average of distances he will be shooting at with .223, 300 BLK, and 6.5 Grendel from the Quick Barrel Change upper.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Bigs28
            Chieftain
            • Feb 2016

My recommendation would be the swfa ss either fixed 6x or 10x. The 10x will hit to 1k and I've used 10x under 100 yards. While not ideal for walking and jumping up a moving hog or deer you could always add a 45 degree red dot for close range later.

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

For movers, you want 2x or less. Anything more and you really lose your FOV in most cases. A 1-6x is pretty versatile in that regard.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Bigs28
                Chieftain
                • Feb 2016

Yes running hogs suck. I'm looking forward to adding the 45 vortex venom.

Comment

• Klem
                  Chieftain
                  • Aug 2013

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                  That 4-16x50 or 6-24x50 is going to look awfully funny when shooting 300 BLK.

My recommendation was based on the average of distances he will be shooting at with .223, 300 BLK, and 6.5 Grendel from the Quick Barrel Change upper.

My recommendation was based on what he asked for.

...But I agree, shooting 1,000yds with a short barrel Grendel and a compact scope is like competing in the Tour de France on a tricycle. You might finish, but you won't be squirting champagne on the podium. Plus if you shoot less than 200yds, which you will, then it becomes unwieldy unless bench resting. Everything in perspective. These are short-medium range calibres and platforms.

You need to make a choice between a red dot for the Blackout (because a bigger scope is wasted on that calibre) or a decent 1,000yd scope for 1,000 yard shooting. Are you really going to shoot 1,000yds often? In your shoes I would get a compact scope, something like a NF 2.5-10*42. Save the 1,000yd shooting for larger calibre bolt guns.

Comment

Working...
                  X