• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • diddlyv
    Warrior
    • Aug 2016

Reasonably priced 20 moa scope mount??

Being basically a cheapskate type of guy I am reticent to spend $200 or more to mount a $300 piece of glass such as the Vortex Viper 6.5-20 x 44 side focus 30 mm scope it intend to use.

Not to concerned with Dismounting and Remounting Return to Zero as my scopes have a tendency to stay mounted. I am considering the Warne MSR or the much maligned Nikon XR.

If RTZ is not a critical factor will either or both of these work?

Were I mounting a serious high dollar scope then 10 to 25% of the cost of the optic for a really good mount would make sense to me.
    Queen of Battle
    Follow Me

Life NRA, DAV ,VFW, SASS
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

I've considered the Nikon 20 MOA mount. A fellow member has used them and said they were OK for the price. If I buy one it will be from Brownell's because of their no question asked guarantee. I've never seen Warnes mount but Warne makes some good mounts.

Comment

• rabiddawg
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2013

I have spent $200+ on a couple mounts. I also have a Midwest industries mount at$175 that has performed satisfactory. Look to see if they make a canted mount.
      Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• Frank45
        Warrior
        • Mar 2016

I was in the same boat a few months ago. I finally decided to cry once and ordered the Aadmount. I didn't care about RTZ. I try not to swap lowers or optics, if I open the safe I want a gun that is complete and ready to go. I decided if I need/want a 20moa mount then I want something well made, in America, and proven.

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

Do not get that Nikon XR mount. It's a piece of garbage. Someone should be ashamed for charging what they do for it.

It's a 3-piece base, for starters, that sandwiches the spine between two halves. It's a PITA.

Keep in mind anything under $100 is marked up about 50% from dealer cost, especially at the big brand stores. They don't give a rats about your scope mount solution, but they love their 50% margins, as long as they can keep getting people to buy imported garbage.

Now ask, how much precision and attention to detail is there in a cheap scope base/mount? Look at the cheapness of the rings and fasteners. Look at how they aren't concentric and how they unevenly mark up your scope tube. Look at how when you torque the cross bolt to spec, and the teeth strip the cheap aluminum out on the other side.

Then ask how confident you are in the integrity of the rifle/optic/mount when shooting for accuracy.

If you can find sufficient quality for $100-$150, by all means, jump on that bad boy.

You can get non-QD mounts from some of the higher-end US makers for the mid-$100s.

The LaRue mounts with VFZ mount option are only $160, 20 MOA available, for example.
          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• diddlyv
            Warrior
            • Aug 2016

Ok the Nikon is out, though the 3 piece can be used to get windage Zero to match scope center but I digress.
            May have to check out the La Rue as well as the Warne. I did find a Warne for $95 but is out of stock at the present.
            The La Rue being only $40 away from the in stock $119 on the Warne is not out of the ball park. Really only to boxes of 123 SST ammo different.

Ah the only 20 MOA la Rue I can find is the LaRue Tactical 20 MOA PSR Scope Mount QD, LT112 and it runs 264. May be back to the Warne

Maybe I just should figure out how to mount my 20 x Unertl and I won't need 20 MOA.

May check out the Vortec 20 moa base. They should know how to mount their scope and the Mil / Police program may help a bit.
            Last edited by diddlyv; 10-01-2016, 12:32 AM.
            Queen of Battle
            Follow Me

Life NRA, DAV ,VFW, SASS

Comment

• biodsl
              Chieftain
              • Aug 2011

You might take a look at the American Defense AD-Recon Mount. Retail is $196, but Optics Planet has them for $175. If you're willing to wait until Black Friday you might find an event better deal.

Here's a review from 8451 Tactical of the Recon S.
              Last edited by biodsl; 10-01-2016, 05:43 AM.
              Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• GarandThumb
                Bloodstained
                • Jan 2015

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post

The LaRue mounts with VFZ mount option are only $160, 20 MOA available, for example.
                +1 on the LaRue VFZ mounts.

OP, I was in the same position as you, I didn't want to spend $200+ for a 20 moa mount. The VFZ option on LaRue mounts is a perfect option if you don't need a quick detach option. I went with the 745 mount:

Comment

• NugginFutz
                  Chieftain
                  • Aug 2013

The ADM Recon is a viable sub-$200 mount with 20 MOA, even with QD.

After a poor experience with the $100 Nikon 20 MOA mount, I ordered the ADM Recon QD, also with a 20 MOA elevation. (What I should have done, in the first place.) Up to this point, I've harbored my doubts about QD mounts being able to Return to Zero, and have expressed them here on the board. Well, I am now ready to eat those
                  If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• diddlyv
                    Warrior
                    • Aug 2016

Thanks for the Tip and the link to demonstrate how really well they hold Z
                    found one on amazon 166 shipped
                    Queen of Battle
                    Follow Me

Life NRA, DAV ,VFW, SASS

Comment

• diddlyv
                      Warrior
                      • Aug 2016

Got here today, Scope mounted. Range in AM
                      Queen of Battle
                      Follow Me

Life NRA, DAV ,VFW, SASS

Comment

• biodsl
                        Chieftain
                        • Aug 2011

$166 is a good price. I suspect you'll be happy with it.
                        Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• diddlyv
                          Warrior
                          • Aug 2016

Worked well today 3 groups of 3 123 SST Factory .750 .825 and .750 inches at 100 out of my new odin barrel had fired a box of wolf and a couple rounds down range no target adjusting the gas block on my newly built upper.
                          Queen of Battle
                          Follow Me

Life NRA, DAV ,VFW, SASS

Comment

• joker31
                            Chieftain
                            • Jul 2015

For Bolt guns I run either EGW or Weaver Tactical (Not regular weaver) for a cheap mount for my regular higher priced stuff I use Seekins. For my AR and most Semi's I use Larue, American Defense on the heavy side and I bought an Aero and a Warne that I havent used yet for lightweight stuff. We currently have bought over 150 mounts this year. I do Charity work for a Wounded Veterans Non-Profit. we have some custom mounts we're trying on the way but mostly the above ones will serve you well. The Nikon Mounts didnt last an entire year even their one piece mounts. We are rough on scope mounts though because they get banged around in blinds in and out of vehicles and resting on Wheelchairs alot. My current problem is triggers, the prosthetic hooks are tearing them up along with the finish on the rifles themselves.

Comment

Working...
                            X