• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 1075 tech
    Warrior
    • Apr 2015

"Best" action for Grendel Build

I have toyed with the idea of a Grendel bolt action build. If I were to seriously consider tackling such a project, what would be some of your recommendations for an action to base it off of?

I have heard that the Savage actions are popular. I might have a Savage Axis 308 available as a donor. I could also use my Remmy 788 308 action but that one has sentimental value.

I'd probably just search Gunbroker for a donor action if I knew what to look for.

Although precision accuracy is always nice, this would mostly be a general purpose hunting rifle. White tail deer to maybe 400 yds max at 300' ASL
  • Rebels010
    Warrior
    • Jan 2016

I would give the howa a try first if I were you. You can get the 22 inch from whitakers for $437.00. For your stated purpose, would be hard to beat. If the barrel doesn't shoot well for your standards, you could always have new one put

If you are set on building one, you can get a CZ action from buds gun shop for under $400.

I'm currently waiting on a howa 20 inch, but would go the CZ route if not.

Comment

• JASmith
      Chieftain
      • Sep 2014

I converted a Savage Model 16 to 20 Grendel. Shoots well!
      shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
      -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• Fredman
        Warrior
        • Sep 2014

You got me thinking. Imagine a Browning micro medallion. Gloss wood and barrel, light weight, Grendel cal.....

Comment

• SDguy
          Warrior
          • Oct 2015

Great advice from Rebels010 IMHO. I have re-barreled a CZ 527 and am very happy with this rifle. My primary beef w the HOWA mini is the stocks offered. Wont be long and I feel Boyds Gunstocks Will be offering a solution for this issue that I could live with.

The Howa will likely meet your needs for a general purpose hunting rifle. If it turns out you don't care for the stock I am sure a better stock option will be available before long. Should you decide to build your Grendel from the action up I would not fault you for that either. You will have better than twice the $$ into the build and if that works for you go for it. No regrets with my 24" CZ527.

I will be surprised if CZ does not wake up soon and offer a factory Grendel soon; That is, in the next few years.

Comment

• VASCAR2
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

I sent an email to Boyds on September 8,2016 in regards to a Boyds stock for the Howa Mini Action rifle. Here is the quick response I received. I was advised to sign up for their email notification so I would find out the exact release date.

Hello,
            We have good news for you. We actually have the Howa Mini Action in the works as we speak. We have not determined as of yet when we will be releasing this new model, but it IS something that we are working on.
            Thank you for your business
            Ashley

Boyds Hardwood Gunstocks
            25376 403rd Ave
            Mitchell SD, 57301
            (605)996-5011
            Boyds uses top-grade hardwood to craft durable, long-lasting shotgun & rifle stocks for top-selling firearm brands, including custom options. Get yours today!

Comment

• kmon
              Chieftain
              • Feb 2015

I went with the CZ 527 route last year with no regrets, great shooting light weight rifle. There are several other actions to use though Ruger made a 7.62X39, Savage, Zastava, Remington 700 or 7 with a PTG bolt, Sako made some great PPC rifles but are quite expensive for a conversion.

These days I would probably just go with the Howa unless one of the other options just is a favorite.

Have also seen a very sweet one made by Dakota Arms, custom rig

Comment

• SDguy
                Warrior
                • Oct 2015

May wish to check this link if you are interested in a ready built CZ. Personally I would like to think there was a fair bit of room for negotiating left in his asking price.

See the classifieds for the Grendel listing by MTyotehunter

Last edited by SDguy; 10-01-2016, 06:15 PM.

Comment

• Drift
                  Warrior
                  • Nov 2014

I keep going back and forth. Do I like my converted 527, or my Remington 700 Grendel? Both are hunting rifles with 18 inch barrels. The CZ action is "better" for a purest, because it is a micro action. But The Remington complete rifle is probably better because there are so many after market parts it that are sadly lacking in the CZ.

Comment

• SDguy
                    Warrior
                    • Oct 2015

Originally posted by 1075 tech View Post
                    I have toyed with the idea of a Grendel bolt action build. If I were to seriously consider tackling such a project, what would be some of your recommendations for an action to base it off of?

I have heard that the Savage actions are popular. I might have a Savage Axis 308 available as a donor. I could also use my Remmy 788 308 action but that one has sentimental value.

I'd probably just search Gunbroker for a donor action if I knew what to look for.

Although precision accuracy is always nice, this would mostly be a general purpose hunting rifle. White tail deer to maybe 400 yds max at 300' ASL
                    While I am very pleased with my CZ527 CCSS with its 24" 9 twist LW barrel riding in a Boyds Thumbhole stock. If I was to do anything different I may go with a BHW barrel1 in 8 twist Polygonal rifling and a PPCX chamber.

Comment

• FW Conch
                      Warrior
                      • Nov 2014

Myself, I would not use an Axis action for a Grendel build, because they are all long actions. I built my Grendel on a Stevens 200 short action. A Savage 10, 11, 12, 16 would be fine.

I like the idea of the Howa barreled action, and I would pick up the Boyd's stock when it becomes available.

Just Me...Just Sayin :-))

Comment

Working...
                      X