• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blanco
    Bloodstained
    • Mar 2016

Build progression BCG questionings

I started my parts gatherings earlier this year with the plan of assembling a lightweight short barrel Grendel. As is standard procedure in my case, many distractions have come and gone. Now we proceed with the build.
    After a fairly lengthy wait I received my barrel

I also picked up their heavy use bolt to go with it.
    Sourcing parts is always fun and you seem to get many suggestions and gather many questions.
    So ...I have some questions on the BCG. Since I have the bolt I need a carrier that would work well, My assumption is that most any carrier would work, the preference being a nickeled Boron Inox coated type? Are there any suppliers that will sell just the carrier? Are there specific parts /brands that offer specific advantages for the Grendel?

Suggestions are welcomed
  • jim_bob
    Warrior
    • Jul 2014

Any mil spec carrier will be just fine. If you want a fine piece of kit check out precision firearms.

Comment

• NugginFutz
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2013

FPNI

Bare bolt carriers are available either stripped or with key from a number of sources, including MidwayUSA (DPMS, JP Enterprise), Brownell's (Colt, DPMS, etc), Tactical Ammunition (DPMS), and several others. If you purchase a stripped carrier, you'll need to purchase a key separately, and stake it yourself.

I'd forego the "special treatments", as chromed carriers tend to collect powder residue (in my experience), and NiB coatings can range from "meh" to "peels of within 50 rounds".

Good luck with your build and, as always, remember that pictures feed the Horde's need to appreciate fine weaponry.
      If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• Frank45
        Warrior
        • Mar 2016

+1 on PF pleased with the casting so far.

Comment

• 82HALO
          Warrior
          • Nov 2015

I'm gonna go with this one and see how it works out! Can't beet the price with free shipping over 99!

Comment

• Rickc
            Warrior
            • Aug 2016

I like BCM bolt carrier groups

Not the most important component in an AR but I am sure there are those out there who could screw it up.

Comment

• CrisAnderson27
              Bloodstained
              • Sep 2016

Originally posted by 82HALO View Post
              I'm gonna go with this one and see how it works out! Can't beet the price with free shipping over 99!

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...mtrctid=590321
              That's an entire bolt carrier group, including the bolt yes? Just pointing that out as you don't really need the bolt for a 6.5 build .

Btw! That's a beautiful barrel!! Are you cutting it down to make it an actual short barrel?...or did you just mean 'short' in relative terms compared to an 18", 20" etc length build?

Comment

• Rickc
                Warrior
                • Aug 2016

Originally posted by CrisAnderson27 View Post
                That's an entire bolt carrier group, including the bolt yes? Just pointing that out as you don't really need the bolt for a 6.5 build .

Btw! That's a beautiful barrel!! Are you cutting it down to make it an actual short barrel?...or did you just mean 'short' in relative terms compared to an 18", 20" etc length build?
                well in my opinion it is always nice to have a spare bolt in the parts kit. that is where mine is. just remember if you change a bolt to check headspace with a go/no go gauge

Comment

• CrisAnderson27
                  Bloodstained
                  • Sep 2016

Originally posted by Rickc View Post
                  well in my opinion it is always nice to have a spare bolt in the parts kit. that is where mine is. just remember if you change a bolt to check headspace with a go/no go gauge
                  For sure!...if you have a 5.56 rifle as well. Either way it probably can't hurt. Just pointed it out in case he didn't see. ARP (the only company I've dealt with outside of Midway, Alexander, and Primary Arms) sells the M16 carrier by itself. But for an extra $20...this deal is worth it for the bolt.

Comment

• 82HALO
                    Warrior
                    • Nov 2015

Yep, know that. I do have a couple of 5.56's, so I'm good for a backup bolt!
                    Looking at the 18" group buy, or a jp 22" with the bolt! Maybe I'll do both!

Comment

• CrisAnderson27
                      Bloodstained
                      • Sep 2016

Nice!! Glad it will work out for you .

Comment

• Blanco
                        Bloodstained
                        • Mar 2016

MAN ...my parts are sure slow coming in. I guess all the AR related stuff is that way?

Comment

• CrisAnderson27
                          Bloodstained
                          • Sep 2016

Your stuff still hasn't arrived?!

I ordered the parts to build a whole new gun on the 6th...some of them on the 10th!

This was yesterday. The barrel comes in today. The slowest part is the flash hider, which will be here Saturday!

Was it the carrier from Brownell that is taking so long?

Comment

• Blanco
                            Bloodstained
                            • Mar 2016

Made a bit of progress BCG and Flash suppressor should be in this week. The major delay has been $$
                            gren.jpg

Comment

• LRRPF52
                              Super Moderator
                              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Blanco View Post
                              Made a bit of progress BCG and Flash suppressor should be in this week. The major delay has been $$
                              [ATTACH]8270[/ATTACH]
                              Make sure to isolate the barrel when you install your flash hider by taking the handguard off and clamping the barrel.

Also, I would recommend mounting the scope mount so that it doesn't bridge the upper and handguard, as you will often get zero shift that way.

Looking forward to how it turns out.
                              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                              X