Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 40484950

Thread: CLOSED Faxon 12" 6.5 Grendel Group Buy $155 + S&H

Unwashed
    I tried heating the gas block up, got it about halfway on, and it stuck solid. Nothing was moving it. Stuck the whole assembly in the freezer. Pulled it out after a couple of hours, hit the gas block with a propane blowtorch, and it still wouldn't move. I finally resorted to grinding the side of the gas block off, which allowed me to get it off the barrel.

I used my reloading calipers to measure the journal diameter, and it is coming up at 0.751-0.752" toward the shoulder. I was getting some slightly higher measurements toward the front.

Quote Originally Posted by Log View Post
    Got mine, along with my two bolts. They look great.

That being said, has anyone had any issues with gas blocks fitting? I've tried three, and they don't want to slip on at all. Two Sadlak and one Geissele.
    Measure your IDs and distance to ports from the barrel shoulder and the back of the gas block to the center of the gas block ports.

I often have to heat up my Sadlak blocks to press-fit them to the journal. You can also freeze the barrel and heat the block, then quickly slip the gas block over the journal to the correct position for alignment.

The biggest mistake I see a lot of people making is assuming that the gas block should touch the shoulder of the barrel/journal junction, as most new AR15 owners didn't grow up with the handguard cap. Most barrel profiles are cut to accept the handguard cap between the FSB and the shoulder, even though most everyone has been using free float for many years now.

There are some low profile gas blocks that will actually align with a shoulder abutment, but most require stand-off equivalent to the thickness of the handguard cap.

Use calipers and measure.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Quote Originally Posted by LRRPF52 View Post
    There are some low profile gas blocks that will actually align with a shoulder abutment, but most require stand-off equivalent to the thickness of the handguard cap.
    You happen to know the thickness of a handguard cap? I think I'll change my barrel drawing specifications to allow the block to abut the shoulder directly and assume no handguard caps will be used.
    :: 6.5 GRENDEL :: Make ARs Great Again ::

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Modernizing the Grrr barrel. I like it. My low profile adjustable lined up with no setback so not sure how it would have worked if you make these changes? Why can't everything just be standard.

Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by BluntForceTrauma View Post
    You happen to know the thickness of a handguard cap? I think I'll change my barrel drawing specifications to allow the block to abut the shoulder directly and assume no handguard caps will be used.
    Be careful. If you change the barrel spec to account for the cap thickness, then gas blocks that are designed to butt against the shoulder won't work on those barrels. Here's an excerpt from the installation instructions for a YHM clamp on block:

7. If using a standard forearm slide the gas block all the way on until it hits the metal forearm cup.
    If you are using an aftermarket forearm DO NOT PUSH THE GAS BLOCK AGAINST THE
    SHOULDER OF THE BARREL! You must leave a 1/32” gap between the shoulder of the
    barrel and the gas block. *::Exception::* The YHM-9384 gas block should not have a gap
    between the shoulder on the barrel and the gas block.

Dang good info, DB. You saved me from myself overthinking it! Will keep all as is. . . .

A credit card is the perfect thickness to space the gas block off the shoulder.
    Last edited by SteelersFan; 09-21-2017 at 11:49 PM. Reason: spelling

Chieftain
    a small oring behind the gas block works as well, i typically just put a sharpie dot at 6 oclock to the gas port and line it up with the hole in the bottom used to drill the gas port in the gas block then if i am using a set screw style gas block i place a #8 lead shot in each set screw hole and then torque the screws down on them such as to make a better contact and not marr the barrel or create a pressure point
    Punctuation is for the weak....

Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelersFan View Post
    A credit card is the perfect thickness to space the gas block off the shoulder.
    While you have the credit card out would be a good time to buy a few extra parts for another build.

still haven't received my barrels

I haven't recieved my barrel yet either. Has everyone else got theirs other than myself and the poster above?

Got mine last week and it is sweet.

If we go that route, then we should spec a gas block as well, and have it pinned so that alignment is controlled from the start. We can also profile the block so that it is the same profile of the shoulder on the barrel.

I would also recommend a 12.5" barrel length so that we can still use 12" handguards with brake attach muzzle devices. Just tried my TBAC brake attach with a 12", and I will need to use an 11" handguard. Not a big deal for me, but 12.5" gives you more handguard options for those that want to use a 12" tube.

www.AR15buildbox.com

LR, would a 12.25" work with industry standard 12" handguards? Just wondering.

LR, would a 12.25" work with industry standard 12" handguards? Just wondering.
    It's not a huge deal, but many suppressors won't be able to attach to the muzzle device with a 12" handguard.

11" handguards are fine for me.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Warrior
    Hand guard cap thickness can vary a bit too as I've seen some at .025 as well as .032.

Hand guard length, especially the 12" types seem to vary too as I've seen ones advertised as 12" actually measuring 12.25 or more. MI for instance calls theirs a 12 but is actually more like 12.625".

Bloodstained
    When they realized the first batch was not to spec, I imagine they ran enough new ones to replace all the barrels right? So no matter when you sent them in there should have been replacements waiting? I may have not gotten my in right away but I'm still waiting on 5 barrels