• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BluntForceTrauma
    Administrator
    • Feb 2011

CLOSED Faxon 18" 65G Group Buy $185+S&H

Gentlemen, Esteemed Warriors, and Vile Unwashed of the Horde, here is the official kick-off for our group buy of mid-length 18" 6.5 Grendel barrels manufactured by our esteemed partner, Faxon Firearms.

Hunters find this length a great compromise between velocity and handling. These barrels feature a medium-light profile for all-day carry, and are nitrided inside and out for all-weather durability. Rifling is of the respected 5R type with a 1:8 twist. 2 lbs, 1.9 oz.

Cost is $185 plus $10 flat fee shipping for a total of $195 each. Personal checks, money orders, or PayPal accepted.

TO ORDER: Open the attached PDF order form below, and either print it out and mail it with your payment, or fill it out digitally and email it if using PayPal.

============================
    SPECIFICATIONS

Barrel length: 18"

Barrel profile: Medium-Light (see attached drawing below)

Gas system: Mid-length

Gas-block diameter: 0.750"

Muzzle threads: 5/8x24

Muzzle crown: 11-degree target crown

Barrel steel: 416R stainless

Inside and outside finish: QPQ nitride

Chamber: 6.5 Grendel, SAAMI-compliant chamber, headspaced for 0.136" boltface depth

Rifling: 1:8, 5R-EE, button-rifled

Barrel extension: M4-style

Magnetic Particle Inspected

============================
    Attached Files
    :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::
  • BigStickSmoker
    Bloodstained
    • Apr 2015

Wowie!!

I expected there would be an opportunity for this coming up some time, but never did I think it would be concurrent with the other group buy.

I really was going to go for an 18, so now I better save my pennies again and get into it. OR i can put off my other parts to complete the 16 upper and go for this.

Nah, I think I will complete that and then hope I have the time to be able to get in on it before it closes off.

Thanks for planning another one!!!

BFT is rockin' the group buy world!

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
      Administrator
      • Feb 2011

After going through the first group buy, my thinking is to just let all the horses loose and see which one runs the fastest.

Faxon's proven themselves to be a great partner, and so we're off to the races!
      :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

Comment

• 82HALO
        Warrior
        • Nov 2015

Ok, this is looking good to me! Was fallowing the talk on the one on the other forum, but would rather support here! Would have liked a little heavier barrel though!

Comment

• Indygrendel63
          Unwashed
          • Apr 2015

Any thoughts on making this a package deal with a bolt included? (With a price adjustment of course)

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
            Administrator
            • Feb 2011

82H: Here's my thinking on a heavier barrel.

We know guys use "bull" barrels because thicker is stiffer, and even though barrel harmonics are always present upon cartridge ignition, a thicker, stiffer barrel whips less and so the angle of deflection, or whatever it's called, is less. Yes, the barrel "bends," but a thicker barrel bends less. The same goes for a shorter barrel versus a longer barrel. Long diving board versus short diving board, for example.

So what we've done by not having the whole barrel be a bull barrel, but by having a short section of "bull" barrel around the chamber area, is to give some of the benefits of a bull barrel but without all the weight. So if you've got a 16" barrel starting with roughly four inches of "bull" section, it's going to have the reduced whip of a 12" barrel instead of a 16" barrel. Every little bit helps.

And by putting that bull weight closer to the rifle's center of gravity and making it less muzzle-heavy, it's easier to carry and its shootability is improved. The hope is that it would "feel" lighter than it is.

Finally, since about 90% of the pressure of cartridge ignition is generated within the first 2-3 inches of bullet travel, having a bull section around the chamber puts a barrel rupture — God forbid! — just that much farther from the operator's face. You've seen those photos of rupture M4 barrels? So it's also a safety feature.

Obviously, there is more than one way to skin a cat — fluting is the most obvious example — but I'm a little leery of introducing asymmetrical stresses to the barrel as the metal is cut away.

Anyway, that's my thinking about the issue. I feel the "bull chamber" negates the need for a heavier contour out to the muzzle.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
              Administrator
              • Feb 2011

IG63, including a bolt is a great idea and much more convenient. I'll look into it.

Comment

• 82HALO
                Warrior
                • Nov 2015

Ok, makes sense! I do have medium wt. Faxon 308 barrel and it is a tack driver! I am impressed with their barrels at the price point!

Comment

• zachsmith526
                  Unwashed
                  • Oct 2016

I'm in... This barrel is exactly what I was lookin for.

Comment

• CatfishHunter
                    Unwashed
                    • Oct 2016

I'm in for one!

Comment

• mirion
                      Unwashed
                      • Sep 2016

Hi, I am new here to the Grendel forum and will be building one. This 18" sounds like a good place to start. Typically how long does it take to get the necessary orders and then for the production and shipping? Thanks

Comment

• Pharmboy
                        Unwashed
                        • Sep 2016

Newbee to the 65grendel forum, but not new firearms. I am in for a 18" Faxon, and if possible a matched bolt. Will send funds via Paypal

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                          Administrator
                          • Feb 2011

Hey, Mirion, this is a brand new program so there is no "typical." We've just completed our very first ever Faxon group buy with 16" barrels and it took about a year. I'm trusting that subsequent Faxon barrel group buys will be MUCH faster.

Comment

• Redomen
                            Warrior
                            • Jun 2016

Count me in!

Comment

• Indygrendel63
                              Unwashed
                              • Apr 2015

Originally posted by BluntForceTrauma View Post
                              IG63, including a bolt is a great idea and much more convenient. I'll look into it.
                              Any updates about the group buy? Any chance of getting a bolt with the barrel? How many spots are left? 😊 Count me in with or without a bolt (it would just be nicer with a bolt)

Comment

Working...
                              X