X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BluntForceTrauma
    Administrator
    • Feb 2011

Can't change the specs this late in the game for the same price.
    :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• Torquaholic
      Bloodstained
      • Nov 2017

Originally posted by BluntForceTrauma View Post
      Can't change the specs this late in the game for the same price.
      I wouldn't expect you to change the specs. Thanks for answering, I really just wanted to know if it was coated or standard. I do like the explanation on the 5R-EE design. Thanks for taking the time to both think about it and organize this. I may be a verbal confirmation, if not actual payment, by the end of next week. That goes for this barrel and the Monster bolt as well. :-)

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
        Administrator
        • Feb 2011

These extensions, like the barrels themselves, are nitrided.
        :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

Comment

• Gringoloco
          Warrior
          • Dec 2017

Looking forward to repurposing an AR with one of these. Wanted something a bit bigger and with a little more range than the 5.56, seems like the 6.5 should work nicely.

Comment

• AppalachianGunSlinger
            Bloodstained
            • Nov 2017

FYI: I Mailed in the Order Form as well as the Payment..

I did want to verify something that you did say on the barrel extention. Maybe double check as Faxon’s normal extention for this type barrel extention although an M4 style is Nickel and Coated..
            Last edited by AppalachianGunSlinger; 12-07-2017, 04:47 AM.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
              Administrator
              • Feb 2011

I've double-checked and the extensions for this group buy are black nitrided. This is a custom order; Faxon only started offering 6.5 Grendel barrels AFTER our success with them, and their factory offerings are different specs.

Comment

• grayfox
                Chieftain
                • Jan 2017

Works for me.
                "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Chrazy-Chris
                  Warrior
                  • Aug 2015

I got a buddy who may be interested in one if they're still available.

I was also thinking of getting one and chopping it down to 14.5" for use with the suppressor. What's the general consensus on the mid length gas system and 14.5" barrel for the Grendel? I would run it with an adjustable block for use with and without the can.

Comment

• tracker12
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2017

Is there a matched bolt available with this buy.
                    AR's make shooting fun again!

Comment

• Drillboss
                      Warrior
                      • Jan 2015

Originally posted by tracker12 View Post
                      Is there a matched bolt available with this buy.
                      There is a group buy for bolts as well. http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...y-E-58-Shipped

The bolts aren't "matched" to the barrels, but they will work fine.

Comment

• AppalachianGunSlinger
                        Bloodstained
                        • Nov 2017

Thanks for the update.. Good to know before hand so I know 100% what I am getting myself into. The extention itself is not difficult to change out if wanted. One for example could do something like a Fail Zero M4 style Nickel Boron Coated extention for around $25. I personally prefere a coated one as it is much easier to keep clean, and retains it lubricity better. For what I feel is better reliability overall especially when abused or used in a very dirty environment.

That said Blunt you where saying that it is at the point that you cannot make these changes. Though a nice surprise from Faxon would be welcomed to have their Nickeled/Teflon Extention instead of the Nitrided one. Is it possible to be able to get their upgraded Extention and a replacement pin for those of us who like the oppertunity to upgrade to this style while remaining within all the Faxon type specs of parts. Instead of hodgepoding different parts together as well as issues with the gas tube lining up when pinning the extention. I am not aware nor not tha thte extention that Faxon use or manufacture have the same exact specs to be able to be plug and play on each seperate barrel. Otherwise you would not really be able t ochange the extention to a differnt one would have to get it coated. So that everything stays in alignment. From what I understand is that you screw on an extention and then the gas port is drilled to keep everything in perfect alignment. Making it near impossible to do something else unless you are doing a blank. I haven’t done this, taken an extention apart, nor know for sure specs used in this manufacturering. I could be correct or way off. Just wanted to look at options to have a better extention, as I enjoy coated ones for ease of keeping free of debris as well as carbon build up. I have a sinking feeling that it wont be possible nor would Faxon change the extention type now. Saving money I feel for the GB to keep profit higher and prices down. Anyways if not is it possible to have the extention coated after installed? IE even TIN?
                        Last edited by AppalachianGunSlinger; 12-08-2017, 07:20 AM.

Comment

• Torquaholic
                          Bloodstained
                          • Nov 2017

AppalachianGunSlinger, I believe you are on the right track. It is my understanding that the barrel extension must be installed and spaced prior to drilling the gas block hole. The hole is drilled relative to the feed lug position (clock) on the extension. I'm not an armorer, but feel like it would be damn hard to replace a barrel extension and have things line up. If you start from a blank and go with the fail zero coated piece, your armorer can drill the hole relative to that extension.

A lot of the Faxon advertising for their QPQ goes like this, "All components are QPQ Salt Bath Nitride finished for improved surface hardness, lubricity, corrosion resistance, and ease of cleaning".

While it may not be as good as the Nickel coating, I hope it will look something like the pic below. I'm pretty sure my my Faxon Gunner 5.56 barrel doesn't have QPQ treatment to the extension, but it works great. I think the QPQ setup will do just fine for my needs and I'm excited to have the opportunity to do this build.

16-Inch-Govt-Socom-416R-QPQ-5.jpg (Source= firststrikehunting.com, whom also advertise that "The QPQ coating makes them very easy to clean")

Comment

• 82HALO
                            Warrior
                            • Nov 2015

Yep, that's what it'll look like!

Comment

• AppalachianGunSlinger
                              Bloodstained
                              • Nov 2017

Originally posted by Torquaholic View Post
                              AppalachianGunSlinger, I believe you are on the right track. It is my understanding that the barrel extension must be installed and spaced prior to drilling the gas block hole. The hole is drilled relative to the feed lug position (clock) on the extension. I'm not an armorer, but feel like it would be damn hard to replace a barrel extension and have things line up. If you start from a blank and go with the fail zero coated piece, your armorer can drill the hole relative to that extension.

A lot of the Faxon advertising for their QPQ goes like this, "All components are QPQ Salt Bath Nitride finished for improved surface hardness, lubricity, corrosion resistance, and ease of cleaning".

While it may not be as good as the Nickel coating, I hope it will look something like the pic below. I'm pretty sure my my Faxon Gunner 5.56 barrel doesn't have QPQ treatment to the extension, but it works great. I think the QPQ setup will do just fine for my needs and I'm excited to have the opportunity to do this build.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10355[/ATTACH] (Source= firststrikehunting.com, whom also advertise that "The QPQ coating makes them very easy to clean")

I am sure it will be like that. I think that it will end up working out in the end. Personally just hate cleaning the lugs on the extention. Something that the military ingrained in me. I do know many a tests have been done on coatings and the such as far as performance, longetivity like in the millions, etc. I do know that they military found that many of them where not worth the costs. IE like the Carrier being Chrome plated. The coatings really did nothing for it. So in the end I am sure we would be fine without the highest speed coatings like tin. I must say from Personal experience though that some types of coatings, like TIN though do help prevent Carbon Buildup. I have a Agency Glock 19 Barrel tin and a Carrier as well tin. The cabin wipes right off of the carrier without cleaner and dont get any buildup at all. I like that part of it, though the coating alone has no noticable effect on performance otherwise from tests.

Comment

• win.308stealth
                                Bloodstained
                                • Jan 2015

Is it safe to say we can see these start arriving before Christmas? Or are the holidays going to throw everything off?

Comment

Working...
                                X