Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: OPEN Faxon 18" 65G Group Buy $185+S&H 40/50

Warrior
    Thank you BFT

Mine came in Saturday. Thanks for the effort in packaging, BFT; it arrived safe and sound. I'm putting together a build thread in another section of the forum. Weight as measured without red caps is 2lb 1.9oz on my scale. I'm stoked to get this thing going, but already ran into an issue with the muzzle device. Glad to see others haven't had the same issue. Happy New year, horde!
    “Excellence is doing a common thing in an uncommon way.”
    ― Albert Einstein

Unwashed
    Fell asleep at the keyboard! If not too late, would like to hop in for two, please! Love the 12.5 in barrel!

Bloodstained
    I was starting to worry when it hadn't come yesterday...but it was waiting on me when I came home today...thanks BFT and everyone that ordered to make this possible. Still not sure how I feel about the handguard, but I'll give it a go and see how it works out. Second Grendel done.

My Barrel and bolt arrived yesterday, thanks BFT !

Good lookin' build, Sean. Side charger?
    :: 6.5 GRENDEL :: Make ARs Great Again ::

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Bloodstained
    Quote Originally Posted by BluntForceTrauma View Post
    Good lookin' build, Sean. Side charger?
    Thanks. Yes, good eye. My first side charger. It's a BCA upper. I use my guns to hunt, so wanted to try a side charger to make it easier than having the handle under the scope.

Sean

Warrior
    Hey John, I know I said early on that I'd be in for 2. My brother and I were going to do builds. He can't right now. I'm somewhat computer illiterate and can't figure out how to email the form to you. I'll PM you with my shipping info. $$ sent via PP.

Thanks

In for one, payment sent.

Unwashed
    woohoo! Got mine yesterday. They are awesome! Thanks for organizing the group buy!

Good to hear!

Still got about 13 of these left.

Excellent hunting length.

Spread the word!

Bloodstained
    I'm very tempted to jump in on this but the mid-length gas system is what has me hesitant.

I'm thinking for 18" the gas really needs to be at least "intermediate" if not "rifle".

EDIT:

Has anyone put one of these together and shot it suppressed? Does it seem over-gassed? Is the impulse/dwell time too high?
    Last edited by RANGER; 01-11-2018 at 06:31 PM.

Bloodstained
    Quote Originally Posted by RANGER View Post
    I'm very tempted to jump in on this but the mid-length gas system is what has me hesitant.

I'm thinking for 18" the gas really needs to be at least "intermediate" if not "rifle".

EDIT:

Has anyone put one of these together and shot it suppressed? Does it seem over-gassed? Is the impulse/dwell time too high?
    I have heard of pistol (4"), carbine (7"), mid (9"), and rifle (12"). How does intermediate fit into these?

Sean

Am using MLGS in these 18s because that's what Bill Alexander recommended back in the day, and also because it allows the home builder to use more common gas tubes. Bill could have been wrong, but his opinion was that a RLGS on an 18" limited your ammo choices because it might not cycle all reliably, particularly weaker ammo (Wolf steel-case) or lighter bullets.

Having said that, yes, I do like to use as long a gas system as possible for "softer" shooting.

One runs into the same issue with a 12.5 and deciding between a CL or ML gas system.

Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by BluntForceTrauma View Post
    Am using MLGS in these 18s because that's what Bill Alexander recommended back in the day, and also because it allows the home builder to use more common gas tubes. Bill could have been wrong, but his opinion was that a RLGS on an 18" limited your ammo choices because it might not cycle all reliably, particularly weaker ammo (Wolf steel-case) or lighter bullets.

Having said that, yes, I do like to use as long a gas system as possible for "softer" shooting.

One runs into the same issue with a 12.5 and deciding between a CL or ML gas system.
    My Ballistic Advantage 18" barrel has a rifle length gas tube and I thought that was great.

I only shot it once but it often did not eject completely with Wolf steel cased ammo. I reported it on one of the threads here.

Midlength may have been better, as Bill has stated. I need to shoot more and buy barrels less since I have less experience with each barrel.

Bloodstained
    I believe the problem with RLGS arises when shooting unsuppressed. Attaching a can increases dwell time and in turn reliability.

I think that is why ODIN works went with an "Intermediate" length system. Off the top of my head I believe it's either +1" or +1.5" over midlength.

So it's good compromise for shooting suppressed/unsuppressed.

EDIT: for me, any more I shoot everything suppressed if possible. It's not even a "cool guy" thing....I have so very little hearing left that I do what ever I can to protect it. (shooting with a can still hurts for me and I wear plugs and muffs along with a can)

Warrior
    Mine arrived yesterday!! Very cool! I hope it shoots as well as the first edition Faxon 16" I have. Unfortunately, it'll have to go to the parts pile until spring when I'll get time to do something with it.

In for one, along with some bolts. Email inbound. Thanks!

Gents, 10 left. Beautiful length for handy hunting rifle!