• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SSK shooter
    Bloodstained
    • Aug 2015

.277 Predator?

I was looking on ar15performance.com and came across the 277 predator. They are saying it's a 6.5 Grendel case necked up to .277, and capable of pushing a 130gr bullet to 2650fps from a 20" barrel. Has anyone used anything like this or done the number crunching to see if it's worth persuing as a wildcat? If what they say is true it should outperform the 6.8spc and not need a larger mag and lower to make it work properly. It's supposedly going to be available sometime this fall. Love both of my Grendels and can't imagine why I would need one, but I'm curious about it.
  • JASmith
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2014

The case volumes for the two cartridges will almost identical, byt the 6.8 runs at a higher pressure, so beating the SPC e velocity would be challenge.

It will, however, accomodate longer nosed bullets. These will have better ballistics coefficients so there is a possibility it will be flatter shooting

Not sure that it will shoot flatter than the Grendel because the 0.264" bullets are sleeker.
    shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
    -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• Kilco
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2016

Sounds cool, but the 6.5G would still have superior ballistics in every way. Even if you could do that with a 130gr .277 bullet, due to much higher SD and BC the 6.5 would be a better penetrator, and even if the .277 started 100fps faster at the muzzle, by 2-250 yards the 6.5 would be going the same velocity if not faster.
      Believe me im a fan of all the AR wildcat variants (.277 wolverine/6mm mongoose/25-45 sharps/6mmAR.. But every time you crunch the numbers the 6.5G is best all around ar15 cartridge for MY purposes. (hunting, mid-long range shooting, low recoil got wife and kids) Only other ar15 cartridge I use is a 556 for high volume plinking.
      I always dig a new AR15 cartridge, But its easy to see How Bill A decided on the Grendel design, and still today its yet to be matched in efficiency.
      ONE wilcat ive been trying to work with myself is taking a Remington 30 AR and necking it down to 6.5... PTG is working on a reamer for my smith atm.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
        Administrator
        • Feb 2011

It's a cool idea and the 6.8 Grendel is what the 6.8 SPC should have been from the beginning. Those were the very first words out of my mouth after Gary Roberts announced the 6.8 SPC on his tactical forum, and sparked a years-long brouhaha.

No mammalian target will feel the difference between a 6.5 or a 6.8 Grendel, but 6.5mm bullets will post slightly better exterior ballistics and so it retains an inherent accuracy edge.

Anyway, let wildcatters give it a shot, but — as always — be very, very, VERY careful trying to duplicate their posted velocities.
        :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

Working...
        X