Bit by the Grendel Bug building 20 inch.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • diddlyv
    Warrior
    • Aug 2016

Bit by the Grendel Bug building 20 inch.

Parts are starting to arrive. This is a totally schizoid project with a mix of super bargain parts and some pretty high cost items like the Luth AR MBA3 stock.

Received From Red Barn

Aero Precision stripped lower
    Aero Precision Upper with FA and Dust Cover installed
    CMMG Premium LPK
    Mil Spec Charging handle

Roush Sports
    Keymod Super Slim Free Float 15 inch Hand Guard with 6 Rail Sections $69.24 Shipped Free
    AR 10 A1 Flash Hider
    Was also looking at their milspec buffer tube and assembly on sale for $25 (currently out of stock)

Odin Works
    20 inch barrel (shipped should arrive Friday)
    Rifle length Gas Tube
    Clamp on Adj Gas Block

I am really liking the looks of the Luth AR MBA3 stock spec'd out in the Medic22 Mid price build in the AR part of this Forum

Undecided on trigger. Once again I will install the trigger that came with the LPK, probably decide it is abysmal and get another of the 3 lb RR 2 stage that I found for $85 shipped. I am also considering sending a trigger to Bill Springfield for the $45 magic 4 lb super crisp trigger job, trusting he knows how to polish enough to get things smooth without grinding off the surface hardening.

Also undecided on using stock A2 pistol grip or adding IMI Defense CG1 Pistol Grip like the one I put on my Rguns lower attached to the 16 inch Barrier Defense Upper.

The Vortex Viper 6.5-20 x 44 30 mm side focus arrived today. Good looking scope good clear optics think if was a pretty good value for the $329 Midway asked on sale with free shipping.

Still torn between the Warne 20 MOA 30 mm mount for somewhere around 120 or the $189 vortex 20 MOA mount. Trying to convince myself I actually need a 20 moa mount vs something like the standard Leupold 30 mm mount for $100.No Longer torn came off the big bucks

Got the American Defense AD-RECON-20 MOA 30 STD Riflescope Optic Mount, Black by American Defense Mfg. ordered on Amazon for $166 offered by Primary Arms.

I also received the brownells AR Receiver truing tool and lapping compound today. Eyeballing the upper receiver with the tool installed assuming the tool is square, the upper can stand some truing as there is daylight between the tool and the lower side of the receiver face when the upper side is in contact with the tool.
    Last edited by diddlyv; 10-06-2016, 04:59 PM.
    Queen of Battle
    Follow Me

Life NRA, DAV ,VFW, SASS
  • kb18no1
    Bloodstained
    • May 2015

Get a 20moa mount

Comment

• diddlyv
      Warrior
      • Aug 2016

seriously leaning that way. My 16 incher has the std non add MOA mount. The extra 4 inches on this one may make it a better longer range option worthy of the mount.
      Queen of Battle
      Follow Me

Life NRA, DAV ,VFW, SASS

Comment

• diddlyv
        Warrior
        • Aug 2016

Went with this mount

American Defense AD-RECON-20 MOA 30 STD Riflescope Optic Mount, Black by American Defense Mfg.

$166 on Amazon
        Queen of Battle
        Follow Me

Life NRA, DAV ,VFW, SASS

Comment

• diddlyv
          Warrior
          • Aug 2016

The Odin Works Barrel Arrives tomorrow. Looks like Saturday my niece's husband and I will have a bit of an assembly party. A few parts are still enroute but we are talking buffer tube assembly en route from Delta Team and the Luth MBA-3 found a decent price for that at CDNN sports.

Hope to hit the range Sunday but ya never know. Worst Case I will shoot the Upper on one of my lowers with a decent trigger. If the AD Recon 20 MOA base does not arrive I do have a couple of scopes that mount to a rail I can use, or even a set of irons. Will post pics and render a range report when I get a chance to shoot.
          Queen of Battle
          Follow Me

Life NRA, DAV ,VFW, SASS

Comment

• Fredman
            Warrior
            • Sep 2014

Larue are now making their own triggers. Might be worth looking into.

If you don't mind, what is the price tag now?
            Last edited by Fredman; 10-06-2016, 09:51 AM. Reason: Blasted spell check!

Comment

• diddlyv
              Warrior
              • Aug 2016

here it is
              Grendel Build
              Odin Works
              Barrel 405
              gas block tube thread protector 95

Red Barn Armory
              upper, lower and parts kit
              and charging handle 242

Rousch Sports
              forend and AR10 flash hider 83

Delta Team
              buffer assbly and ambi
              sling mount 37

CDNN Sports
              Luth MBA-3 156

Primary Arms (Amazon)
              mount AD Recon 20MOA 166

Midway
              scope Vortex Viper 6.55-20
              44 mm 30 mm tube
              Dead hold reticle 329

1018 rifle 495 glass and mounr 1513 total
              There a 9.00 ball end allen screwdriver to adjust gas block included and a redundant thread protector $12 so the rifle alone is a bit under 1000 right now but could go $85 to 250 more depending on final trigger or only about 50 more if I go the Bill Springfield rework option. Having just got some 600 grit lapping compound I may find a piece of glass and polish the trigger myself a touch. May also add a $30 IMI Defense CG1 pistol grip vs the A2 that came with the CMMG premium LPK

CLearly I could have saved close to $100 with a lesser stock option. Think I did well with the lower for$75 and the upper for $90. A couple of months back I got lower complete from Anderson for $90 but that deal was no longer available. The Rousch Sports Forend came with Barrel Nut, shims to align and 6 pieces of Rail. That saved $20 for a barrel nut and forend adapter. Also probably about $20 or more for the 6 pieces of rail. Plan to put 3 on this rifle and 3 on the barrier defense.
              Last edited by diddlyv; 10-06-2016, 04:57 PM. Reason: Additional info
              Queen of Battle
              Follow Me

Life NRA, DAV ,VFW, SASS

Comment

• diddlyv
                Warrior
                • Aug 2016

Got the Odin Works barrel today. Overall I am very impressed. No burrs, no sharp edges. No visible cutter marks.
                Can't wait to see how it shoots.

Prior to loading for it I did some measuring.

First measured factory Ammo with Loc N Load Bullet Comparator
                123 Amax to Ogive 1.668 to Tip 2.243
                123 SST to Ogive 1.659 to tip 2.242

Then using modified case took Chamber depth to Ogive and the resultant overall length

123 SST 1.738 .070 free bore aka Jump for SST factory and overall length 2.323
                120 GMX 1.724 and overall length 2.353

My magazine has 2.323 max opening

Any of you other horde members shooting an Odin barrel? Are my measurements any where near what you get in your barrels??
                Medic22 have you measured yours??

Will assemble the rifle over the weekend. Still will be missing a few parts may test fire upper on another lower if I get a chance otherwise will sit in safe until I can hit the range.
                Last edited by diddlyv; 10-06-2016, 11:14 PM.
                Queen of Battle
                Follow Me

Life NRA, DAV ,VFW, SASS

Comment

• diddlyv
                  Warrior
                  • Aug 2016

I used the Brownells tool to true the receiver today. Pretty simple procecure. Stabilize the Upper. Oil the portion of the tool that is inserted into the Upper, add lapping compound to the part of the tool that rubs on the front of the receiver. Chuck tool up in a 3/8 drill run 15 seconds. Clean receiver and tool. Inspect to see if at least 80% of receiver has cleaned up. Repeat all steps until satisfied that at least 80% has been trued. I went to about 98%. Also got word that my stock had shipped and the buffer assembly has had the shipping label generated so all should be here shortly. Tomorrow will assemble the upper completely and the lower minus the buffer assembly and stock. Plan to shoot the upper on an existing lower Sunday with Hornady factory SST and Wolf just to get an idea of how the gun will shoot. The scope mount should arrive Saturday.

The CMMG trigger in the LPK looks pretty good and well polished. Just for drill I ran it across my oiled black arkansas ever so slightly just in case of a burr. Given the LPK has milspec springs, I expect the trigger to be a tad heavy. I am wondering if it will be a decent breaking trigger. If not I will just go with a Rock River 3 lb match. If the CMMG trigger is adequate but just a bit too heavy, I may stick it in my DPMS HBAR that currently has a trigger with about 8.5 lb pull.
                  Queen of Battle
                  Follow Me

Life NRA, DAV ,VFW, SASS

Comment

• diddlyv
                    Warrior
                    • Aug 2016

Assembled the upper completely today. Who knew one could not find a 29 MM crows foot found in Phoenix. The barrel nut that came with the Rousch Sports Fore end has that size hex built in. Having trued the receiver, it took all 3 shims to get things to line up properly. Ended up using a cresent wrench to tighten the barrel nut. Given there is a 30 to 80 so odd FT Lb range, we are somewhere in there. Pretty sure I cannot approach 80 with an 8 inch cresent and am well over 30. Gas tube and gas block went on with no hassle. Witness marks on the barrel and gas block helped. Got the lower together with the exception of the Buffer assembly and butt stock that have yet to arrive. The CMMG trigger is not too bad. It is not gritty and pretty crisp break. No where near as nice as a RR match, but acceptable.

I will take the upper to the range tomorrow. Hope the mount for the Vortex Viper arrives today, if not will use one of my other scopes with a QD mount just to see group size.

The Luth MBA-3 stock arrived today as well.

The mount was in the mailbox today also. Scope mounted.

Will be able to hit the range in the AM to see how the Odin Works barrel shoots. Will try Hornady factory SST and some Lvr and SST bullets.
                    Last edited by diddlyv; 10-08-2016, 11:13 PM.
                    Queen of Battle
                    Follow Me

Life NRA, DAV ,VFW, SASS

Comment

• Kilco
                      Chieftain
                      • Jan 2016

VERY excited to see some pics and a range report!

Comment

• diddlyv
                        Warrior
                        • Aug 2016

Should get the buffer assembly monday. Will attempt pics of the rifle in its final form then. Hope to shoot a group worthy of a pic tomorrow.

Given I am testing the barrel with a rifle buffer tomorrow, I may just attach it to one of my carbine lowers and actually figure out the carbine setting then attach the rifle buffered lower and see how much farther I need to open the port for that. In any case I start 1 click open and shoot a single wolf and see if bolt locks open. Repeat until it does close it 3 clicks and repeat procedure with hornady SST which i believe will be hotter.
                        Queen of Battle
                        Follow Me

Life NRA, DAV ,VFW, SASS

Comment

• diddlyv
                          Warrior
                          • Aug 2016

Hit the range today. Shot a box full of Wolf after getting scope adjusted 15 rounds 4 inches wide and 3 inches high

6 shots chrony'd
                          ave 2600
                          High 2615
                          Loq 2579
                          ES 38 SD 14.4

then 3 groups of 3 of the Hornady 123 SST.
                          I got 2 of the groups chrony'd
                          Six shots
                          Ave 2525
                          Hi 2540
                          Low 2507
                          ES 33
                          Std Dev 13.7
                          Group 1 - .75
                          Group 2 - .825
                          Group 3 - .75

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Shot with an A2 lower as my buffer assembly is in the mail

I also shot my 16 inch BD Grendel today
                          16 inch chrony

Wolf 9 shots
                          Ave 2475
                          high 2485
                          low 2445
                          es 41
                          std Dev 12.2

123 SST Factory
                          Ave 2435
                          High 2452
                          Low 2426
                          ES 28
                          SD8.9

SST ave velocity difference between 16 and 20
                          2525 vs 2435 diff 90 fps essentially 15 fps per inch. Recognize there are a number of factors when having 2 different barrels vs one barrel cut and recrowned.

Pics of rifle when I get it all together
                          Last edited by diddlyv; 10-11-2016, 05:24 AM.
                          Queen of Battle
                          Follow Me

Life NRA, DAV ,VFW, SASS

Comment

• diddlyv
                            Warrior
                            • Aug 2016

Pics of the new baby

20ingrendel odin.jpgAfter a bit of drama we have achieved fully assembled 20 Inch Odin Works Barreled Grendelage. Some how misplaced buffer retainer and spring. Happily I had a spare LPK. I then managed to let the retainer and spring launch towards the backyard grass. Luckily the parts were found on the pavers 1/4 inch shy of the grass.
                            Queen of Battle
                            Follow Me

Life NRA, DAV ,VFW, SASS

Comment

• pathfinder397
                              Unwashed
                              • Oct 2016

this is a little late, but that is a good looking build! love the hand-guard!

Comment

Working...
                              X