• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CrisAnderson27
    Bloodstained
    • Sep 2016

12.5" Pistol

Well guys...I've decided to get rid of my 16" 5.56 ArmaLite, and build a 12.5" pistol based Grendel unit to take its place. When paired with my 20" Grendel rifle...I should be pretty much covered, and won't have to divide up ammo types anymore.

The receivers are both Anderson stripped, with an Anderson lower parts kit. I'll be using a Guntec pistol buffer tube with a standard carbine buffer and spring (at first anyway) The barrel is a BHW light contour (I ordered medium, but they called and said they had the light contour in stock and would toss in an adjustable gas block lol) in shot peened black:

All in all it should be a fun little gun I'm hoping.

That said, I'm not 100% sure what direction to go with on the bolt. BHW said a .125" 7.62x39 bolt will work fine. On their website though, it says it has to be a .136" bolt lol, then proceeds to only give a headspace option for the .125" unit. The chamber is apparently the .264LBC.

Anyway, once that little issue is ironed out, and I think I'll use this unit to do the ironing: http://www.primaryarms.com/am-10-08-...8-m16-7.62x39/ ...I'll be good to go. Everything is ordered to build the gun except the BCG and charging handle, and the flash hider.

Oh, speaking of the flash hider...do any of you know a good unit for a 6.5 that redirects forward? I've never shot an AR pistol...but I've heard that the redirects are a life saver for the user with the short barrels. I was only able to find one unit, which was a multi-caliber from .308 down to 6.8. I'd rather have something less ugly though, and 6.5 specific lol:

Any help would be awesome .
  • Klem
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

What you are talking about is a linear muzzle device. Don't expect much in the way of recoil reduction but they do lower the blast/noise behind the barrel.

There are cheaper options than the Claymore. JAL and Black River Tactical make dedicated 6.5mm linears. PWS makes a pricey 30cal at $150 but it looks like some thought has gone into it. All 5/8*24 thread only.

There won't be any noticeable difference in rearward sound between a 30cal and a dedicated 6.5 muzzle port. It's all about eliminating ports that point anywhere other than forward.

Comment

• CrisAnderson27
      Bloodstained
      • Sep 2016

Thank you for giving me the proper terminology to search Klem!! Also for the links and info . With the right search input...I've found a ton of options...most around $50, and made in the USA.

Some are pretty cool looking too.

Comment

• Klem
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by CrisAnderson27 View Post
        Thank you for giving me the proper terminology to search Klem!! Also for the links and info . With the right search input...I've found a ton of options...most around $50, and made in the USA.

Some are pretty cool looking too.
        Made in the USA - But of course!

Comment

• biodsl
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2011

That said, I'm not 100% sure what direction to go with on the bolt. BHW said a .125" 7.62x39 bolt will work fine. On their website though, it says it has to be a .136" bolt lol, then proceeds to only give a headspace option for the .125" unit. The chamber is apparently the .264LB.
          When placing the order there's a field for comments or a message. You need to request the .136 headspace in that field since they don't provide the option in the drop down (??). Seems silly, but that's how BHW does it.
          Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• CrisAnderson27
            Bloodstained
            • Sep 2016

Ahh, odd. It turns out that I was ordering from the wrong website anyway. Immediately after ordering I called to verify that they would ship the in Stock barrel. They didn't have any record of an order lol. So I gave him a confirmation number, and he had to go find it to put it through.

Super nice people over there though. I just hope the bolt I order works properly lol.

Comment

• CrisAnderson27
              Bloodstained
              • Sep 2016

So, all the parts are finally ordered .

Anderson Stripped Lower (with transfer fee): $84.00 - www.primaryarms.com
              Anderson Stainless Lower Kit: $39.00 - www.aimsurplus.com
              Anderson Stripped Upper: $49.00 - www.primaryarms.com
              Strike Standard Charging Handle: $17.99 - www.primaryarms.com
              Anderson Upper Parts Kit: $19.99 - www.primaryarms.com
              Guntec Pistol Buffer Tube - $39.99 - www.aimsurplus.com
              Kak Shockwave Blade: $49.95 - www.primaryarms.com
              Generic Quad Rail Handguard: $39.99 - www.ebay.com
              BHW Adjustable Gas Block: $0.00 - www.blackholeweaponry.com
              Anderson Stainless Gas Tube: $9.99 - www.primaryarms.com
              BHW 12.5" Barrel: $290.00 - www.blackholeweaponry.com
              Anderson M16 7.62x39 w Bolt : $129.00 - www.primaryarms.com
              Linear Machined Muzzle Brake: $79.00 - www.ebay.com
              24 Round Magazine: $19.70 - www.shopalexanderarms.com

Total - $867.60 (plus about $30 total in shipping)

It's a little more than I planned on spending (sub $700 was the goal)...due to a few things driving the price up. The bolt was $30 more than I planned, and I wasn't originally going with the Blade stabilizer (I did it purely for looks lol), so that was another $50. The muzzle brake was also another $30 more than I planned lol...but it looks pretty cool, and hopefully will work as well as it looks. Add the $30 or so in shipping and it comes out just about right.

Hopefully the transfer should be done by end of next week. The lower is coming in Tuesday, and they always put me on a freaking 3 day hold. Need to go ahead and get my CCW...but it's never a priority after I finish building or buying a gun, because I don't intend to buy or build another lol.

Anyway, I'll get some pictures when the parts come in. Really looking forward to playing around with this one!

Comment

• lead chucker
                Warrior
                • Sep 2014

Good luck on your build, you will love the shorty grendel. I use a 12.5" BHW barrel in my SBR, couldnt be happier with it, very accurate. I shoot suppressed, but I did get a linear comp for it just in case I wanted to use it without the suppressor. If your ever in the market for another look at the "Simple thread device" (STD), they work very well and small. A guy on the blackout board makes them. Oh and the adjustable gas block and H2 buffer will be your friend, happy shooting!

Comment

• Kilco
                  Chieftain
                  • Jan 2016

Pictures and Range report!!!

Comment

• CrisAnderson27
                    Bloodstained
                    • Sep 2016

Thanks guys!

lead chucker...any chance you have any video of it suppressed and unsuppressed? Also, what length can are you using? I'm very seriously considering running this pistol suppressed...but a 9.5" can off the muzzle kind of defeats the 'short barrel' concept, lol...so I'm undecided. I mean, at that point, it's the same length as my 20" hunting rifle with the brake!

Comment

• danm
                      Warrior
                      • Aug 2014

Nice! I'm in a similar process, BHW 12.5" light contour on order but I sent in my AA hard use bolt for matching... .136". I'll be using my existing 5.56 pistol lower and thinking maybe 2A Balios Light upper and rail...

Comment

• CrisAnderson27
                        Bloodstained
                        • Sep 2016

Sweet danm!! Looks like these pistols are more popular around here than I thought lol!

Comment

• danm
                          Warrior
                          • Aug 2014

Sweet danm!! Looks like these pistols are more popular around here than I thought lol!
                          Yeah, it's really funny listening to 'experts' saying that 6.5 G is only good out of long pipes and for long range...

Comment

• CrisAnderson27
                            Bloodstained
                            • Sep 2016

Right? From what I see, the Grendel does everything the 5.56 round does...just...well, better. There's a TON of 5.56 SBR/pistol builds out there!...but so few Grendels. I can't find a single video for a short barrel Grendel setup (which I will be remedying!).

I also thought I'd share a picture of the muzzle brake I chose. As I said it's a bit more expensive than I'd wanted...but I love the look, and the machine work looks top notch:

Comment

• CrisAnderson27
                              Bloodstained
                              • Sep 2016

Comment

Working...
                              X