Warrior
    • Dec 2014

Never ever thought of that thanks klem

Comment

• am4966
      Chieftain
      • Jul 2014

Originally posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
      I don't see this as an either/or question. It all depends on where/how you are hunting. When I need to be low or have access to a table, bipods are the way to go. To be portable, mono, bi, and tripods are the way to go, but versatility can often become an issue. Often, the most versatile for use are bulkier or heavier.

I am often on the move, covering long distances with frequent, where speed is sometimes important, short setups, on varied terrain. I like a little more stability than a bipod, so I use Primos Trigger Sticks. The full size version works fine for kneeling or standing and can be made to function for when you are sitting on your butt, but the last option is far from ideal. The Trigger Stick monopod works fine if you like monopods, but the bipod concept does NOT work.

If I was going for longer stands in a singular location or where swiftness of deployment isn't an issue, I would go with a setup more like LRRPF52.

There is no one answer, just preferences for different sorts of scenarios...
      I think 00Spy hit it out the park with his thoughts. I also where some have use a mono pod as a walking stick if your in terrain where it's applicable for one. I think depending on where you hunt and how you hunt. Some field testing would be called for and you'll gravitate to one that you're comfortable with and can be used to fill your needs.
      12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
      Surge - Rugged Suppressor
      Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• Rickc
        Warrior
        • Aug 2016

I think if you are going to use shooting sticks you need to practice with them. First time I tried them I did awful. Put them away for a while. Then later I tried them again with less expectations. After a few range sessions I was much better. No doubt in my mind the tripod ones would be better but how much stuff can you carry.

I have a bipod but using it hunting where I live doesn't work you have to get above grass and brush level.

Here is a great idea if you have a Porter to carry all your stuff and an unlimited budget. Better for an AR than the hog saddle I think

Comment

• Jackem
          Bloodstained
          • Dec 2014

Atlas bipods and 3 sets of dowels for extensions; 1ft, 2ft, and 3ft. I made a leather bino mount to fit over the bipods when not attached to the rifle and end using the setup much more while glassing than shooting. The 2 footers are especially handy and I use them to steady the binos sitting on the ground or in a vehicle. The long ones I use with stool beside my vehicle so I can brace my upper body and end up with a very stable position.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Rickc
            Warrior
            • Aug 2016

Originally posted by Jackem View Post
            Atlas bipods and 3 sets of dowels for extensions; 1ft, 2ft, and 3ft. I made a leather bino mount to fit over the bipods when not attached to the rifle and end using the setup much more while glassing than shooting. The 2 footers are especially handy and I use them to steady the binos sitting on the ground or in a vehicle. The long ones I use with stool beside my vehicle so I can brace my upper body and end up with a very stable position.
            I have an atlas. How are you attaching them to the legs?

I found out.really quickly getting you back up against.a tree or something really steadies thing up. It is that back and fourth motion that kills me freestanding.

Comment

• Moonshine44
              Bloodstained
              • Sep 2015

I use a pair of homemade shooting sticks that are height adjustable based on how far you spread them. With a little practice they're quite stable.
              If it ain't fun, why bother doin' it?

Comment

• Jackem
                Bloodstained
                • Dec 2014

Originally posted by Rickc View Post
                I have an atlas. How are you attaching them to the legs?
                After removing the end pieces from the Atlas's legs and extending them the dowels slide up inside. I put a thin coat of epoxy on the dowels to snug them up.

Comment

• Chrazy-Chris
                  Warrior
                  • Aug 2015

I didn't know what it was so I googled "Pig Saddle" ...good times.

I use a set of off-brand shooting sticks that are pretty much tent poles with a rubber piece connecting them. They came with a little belt holster thing that actually works quite well and they are fairly quiet walking around, but not deploying.

Comment

• Chrazy-Chris
                    Warrior
                    • Aug 2015

So now that I've been researching pig saddles and hog saddles and monkeys in cowboy hats riding pigs and all these things, I have a question - is it kind of like shooting off a swiveling bipod where there is enough play that you can make adjustments but not so much play that it remains steady? This is the only way I can picture these working. What is the most economical setup including the saddle, tripod head, and tripod?

Finally, wouldn't this serve the same role for cheaper?

Obviously you couldn't use it with grandpa's 700bdl but we're on an AR forum here.

Comment

• Von Gruff
                      Chieftain
                      • Apr 2012

Originally posted by Chrazy-Chris View Post
                      http://www.larue.com/larue-tactical-...y-rail-adapter

Obviously you couldn't use it with grandpa's 700bdl but we're on an AR forum here.
                      That aint necessarily so with many of us being bolt rifle guys. I was about to say something ungentlemanly but held back, however, the forum title is 6.5 Grendel with no specifics for the type of rifle the cartridge is used in.
                      Last edited by Von Gruff; 11-05-2016, 01:34 AM.
                      http://www.vongruffknives.com/

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Exodus 20:1-17
                      Acts 4:10-12

Comment

• biodsl
                        Chieftain
                        • Aug 2011

Originally posted by Chrazy-Chris View Post
                        Not that much cheaper. The LaRue adapter has to be used with a Manfrotto heavy duty head that retails at around $180.

Discover the best camera and video camera tripods, monopods and photography accessories from Manfrotto.
                        Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

Working...
                        X