• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Holyfather12
    Bloodstained
    • Jan 2016

How to measure COL and scale recommendation

Sorry noob question here. From reviewing the posts I've seen most reload measurements are done in COL. For the reloading I have done so far I have just used a micrometer to measure the tip of the bullet to the the end of the case head. I feel like I'm getting a lot of variance with the plastic tips on the Hornady bullets. What is the best way to measure COL and what will I need to buy in addition to my micrometer?

On a side note I'm looking to upgrade my scale. Right now I use a beam scale. I was looking to upgrade to a digital scale. Had the Gempro 250 in mind but am open to suggestions.

Thanks guys
  • Drillboss
    Warrior
    • Jan 2015

Look at Rabbit's recent post on OAL. I think the answer to that question is there.

I'm not convinced a digital scale is an upgrade to a beam. Granted, I didn't spend much on my digital scales but I found myself going back to the beam for trickling precise charges.

Comment

• NugginFutz
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2013

Beams don't lie ... they just take their time telling the truth.

My thoughts are that unless you're a serious bench rest contender, 2 digits of precision are irrelevant. 1/10th grain is still likely finer than most of us can see at average shooting distances.

I've got two digitals, including the one that came with my RCBS Chargemaster 1500. It has never drifted on me, and has +/- .1 grain accuracy. I've loaded ammo with single digit SD's using the CM1500. I'll also say that it is far faster than trickling into a single or double beam scale. All charges I've ever checked from the RCBS have all proven true, when checked with my (seldom used) beam scale. The battery powered Franklin? Useable in the field, but only in a pinch.
      If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• biodsl
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2011

[QUOTE=NugginFutz;139500]Beams don't lie ... they just take their time telling the truth.[QUOTE]

NugginFutz speaks the truth. I've been using a Gempro 250 for a few weeks now. It drifts between .02 and .08 grains, some days worst than others. I don't know that I'm loading more consistent ammo, but it is a little quicker than a beam scale.

Read the reviews on Amazon. Understand what you're getting and have realistic expectations. If you still want it, go for it!
        Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• Holyfather12
          Bloodstained
          • Jan 2016

Cool. Maybe I'll just stick to the beam scale. Thanks for the help

Comment

• Rickc
            Warrior
            • Aug 2016

measure overall length to the ogive of the bullet not the tip.

Lock-N-Load® Bullet Comparator & Inserts Lock-N-Load® Bullet Comparator Measuring cartridge lengths across the bullet tips is not a reliable (or repeatable) method for meas...

I believe in 2 scales. When they both agree then I am pretty comfortable with the charge. I have a scott parker tuned Ohaus 10/10, A chargemaster and 3 gempro 250's. Always trickle on one and check with another one for my precision loads.

I also have a Harrell powder measure. For just regular shooting ammo I adjust my charge and start dropping charges. Might check weight every 10 or so charges. This is the fastest way to charge cases and works just fine for me.

Comment

• Drift
              Warrior
              • Nov 2014

Ahhh.. what are you calling that length of the Cartridge from the tip to the base, if not the Cartridge Overall Length? I find that length is a useful length when I need to know overall length to load the bullet into a magazine. The Length to Ogive is a different and useful length when trying to find the distance to the lands; which in turn effects pressure and accuracy.

Comment

• Bill257
                Bloodstained
                • Oct 2015

Good choice sticking with the beam scale. When trickling up to a desired charge, the beam scale moves like there is a gear between the trickler and the scale - my electronic scale took a few seconds to register... slowed the process way down and more importantly didn't raise my confidence I was loading "better".

A set of check weights is a good investment in my opinion and a lot cheaper than a good e-scale! (had to go down the new must be better than old path to learn this)

Comment

• Rickc
                  Warrior
                  • Aug 2016

The prometheus is the most accurate powder dispenser. It uses a beam scale.

An open-source monitoring system with a dimensional data model, flexible query language, efficient time series database and modern alerting approach.

Comment

• Rickc
                    Warrior
                    • Aug 2016

Originally posted by Drift View Post
                    Ahhh.. what are you calling that length of the Cartridge from the tip to the base, if not the Cartridge Overall Length? I find that length is a useful length when I need to know overall length to load the bullet into a magazine. The Length to Ogive is a different and useful length when trying to find the distance to the lands; which in turn effects pressure and accuracy.
                    Sure you need to measure to the tip to make sure you aren't over mag length but for.consistency measuring overall length to ogive is the correct way to go. Your seating.die does not seat from the tip either. New reloaders are often confused by the variations in overall length when they measure to the bullet tip.

Comment

Working...
                    X