• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RicosRevenge
    Warrior
    • Jan 2016

rabid,

Last year was my first year to hunt deer with an FFP scope (Khales 624i - more about last year later). I actually didn't notice much difference in a hunting scenario because I basically set the magnification on 12x and left it - even for the 40 yard shot I took on one of my doe (I just chose the one hair that I wanted to hit... LOL!). The illumination on the Khales is really good. As it got darker I could dial the amount of light down enough to eliminate the "halo" effect and I was left with a clean reticle that wasn't distracting at all.

I have shot a bunch of pigs with my .556 AR with a Vortex Razor 1-4X which was FFP as well and REALLY liked it. The difference with the lower power FFP scopes is that when you crank a 1-4x down to 1x the reticle is so small that you can use it with the illumination like a red dot.

Back to hunting last year... I was running my competition based AR-308 last year and found that it was really cumbersome in a 4x4 box blind. That is what prompted me to build the Grendel. Shorter AR based package with a good round especially for my shots. However, before I completed the Grendel I switched my competition rifle back to a bolt gun and ended up with a Desert Tech SRS A1 in 6.5x47 Lapua. So, now comes the fight on which one to use in a blind. The 26" barreled DT is actually shorter than the 18" Grendel by a couple inches and I have a load now using the Hornady 140 SST that shoots around 1/2 MOA. Grrr... I may need to flip a coin.

Here is a shot from the blind last year with the .308:

Comment

• rabiddawg
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2013

Now I'm wondering two things.

Perhaps the higher end stuff is just better than my viper.

Did I crank up the power trying to see the reticle in low light then hit the illumination resulting in too much reticle. Hmm. Gonna have to re-evaluate this.
      Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• RicosRevenge
        Warrior
        • Jan 2016

Only one thing to do... try it out tonight after dark! Ha!

And yeah, glass makes a huge difference in resolution and light gathering. They are expensive because they are worth it.

Comment

• Flyguy11
          Warrior
          • Nov 2015

Originally posted by pathfinder397 View Post
          First attempt at adding pics here, only a teaser for now.
          Use Photobucket.com and post the direct link; easiest way. I too struggled with this.

Comment

• keystone183
            Warrior
            • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Flyguy11 View Post
            Make life easier with a Syrac Ordnance adjustable gas block. It is detented meaning there is only one set screw that clicks in place and stays in place.
            http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...SYRAC+ORDNANCE
            Have been some complaints re syrac lately on several other forums....and their FB page, apparently. I have one of their blocks, but i prefer the SLR. I don't know if this can be substantiated or not, just an FYI....

Comment

• RicosRevenge
              Warrior
              • Jan 2016

Also, JP severed their ties with Syrac... won't say why though... hmmm...

Comment

• rabiddawg
                Chieftain
                • Feb 2013

Uh oh. I've got two syracs.
                Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                  Chieftain
                  • Oct 2016

I had the same idea with cheaper parts on the outside. The 15" is nice on the longer barrels though. Also lets you put a pod further downrange for more stability. YMMV...
                  Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• pathfinder397
                    Unwashed
                    • Oct 2016

The build is done, just waiting on the Vortex Viper 6.5-20 x 44 scope. I will post a few pics soon!
                    Last edited by pathfinder397; 12-15-2016, 03:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X