• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GarandThumb
    Bloodstained
    • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Sniper338 View Post
    I dont have a source for the info except my gun store has tried to get them and they were told they stopped making them and the 208 amax as well. So i havent been able to get them...

Maybe its just where im at.. but they cant even order them anymore..
    Gun stores are pretty much the worst place to get reliable info. The 123 amax is available online. Here's a couple of places that have them in stock:

Graf & Sons, the reloading authority, has a wide selection of reloading supplies, shooting supplies, ammo and more.

Hornady has replaced some of bullets in the AMAX line with ELD-M & ELD-X. Here's Hornadys own words:

All manufacturers commonly used polymer tips in high BC bullets melt in flight.Hornady engineers discovered that commonly used bullet tip materials in streamlined, high BC bullets melt and deform. Although not a significant issue affecting moderate BC conventional tipped varmint and hunting bullets, aerodynamic heating causes BC reduction and degradation of accuracy, particularly at extended ranges (400 yds +). To counter this effect, Hornady identified a heat resistant polymer and developed the Heat Shield tip. This revolutionary new tip creates the perfect meplat (tip) with exceptionally consistent results from bullet-to-bullet and lot-to-lot.
    More info here: http://www.hornady.com/store/ELD-Match

Rest easy, I seriously doubt the 123 amax goes anywhere. If it does, it would only be replaced by an ELD version. Either way, given the lower velocities we get with the Grendel it's a non issue for us.

Comment

• GarandThumb
      Bloodstained
      • Jan 2015

Originally posted by keystone183 View Post
      Can anybody actually CONFIRM this??!??!? I can't find it, but maybe my google fu is weak...

Yes i already ordered 500 more.......
      This is how needless panic buying starts. We'll see a lot more of come Nov :P

Comment

• Threefeathers
        Unwashed
        • Sep 2016

I picked two boxes up today in Tucson.

Comment

• nimitzman
          Bloodstained
          • Mar 2016

those amp 140 gr go through the same hole at 100 in my howa 6.5x55 old style match bullets drop deer where they stand in same

Comment

• dammitman
            Warrior
            • Dec 2012

just the bullets for handloading or the loaded amax rounds from the factory?

Comment

• Kilco
              Chieftain
              • Jan 2016

They are still making the 123 amax. I believe a 112gr ELD 6mm bullet is in the works, but don't hold me to that.

Comment

• Cockednlocked
                Bloodstained
                • Jun 2016

From looking at the ELD prices as compared to AMAX, seems as though Hornady thinks more of them than they do the AMAX. I use AMAX primarily because they are about $0.07 to $0.10 cheaper per bullet than SMK. If The ELD prices are as high as SMK, I'd just as soon use SMK's. Sierra has the 130TMK as well as the 123 MK, and the prices fall directly in line with the ELD prices.

I sort of wish there were more non-reloading Grendel shooters at my range, so I could get another, cheaper, source of brass to offset the increasing cost of reloading. It's getting so the only way to reload cheaper than factory is to get as many loads as possible from each brass case.

Comment

• Kilco
                  Chieftain
                  • Jan 2016

ELD-M is still cheaper than the SMK with B.Cs that are higher than the $15 more a box bergers, and the BC is confirmed by Doppler radar, and has proven accurate with all of my drops out to 800 yards. The ELD-X is still slightly cheaper than SMK and $5 a box cheaper than the TMK line AND can be used to hunt reliably. I took a 850 pound moose this season using the 143 ELD-X going 2800 out of my 260 rem. One shot, double lung and pass. I'm a firm believer in the ELD line and looking forward to the 123/130 ELD release down the road, more than happy to pay .07 cents a bullet more than the AMAX.
                  Last edited by Kilco; 10-15-2016, 05:37 PM.

Comment

• 1911man
                    Warrior
                    • May 2015

I would love it if they came out with a 123 ELD provided there is a jump in BC like there was from the 140 Amax to the 140 ELD. I used to load `140 Amaxes in my Creedmoor and now use ELDS and they are the real deal. I think the BC jumped .60 from the Amax to the ELD though. One problem is that the actual BC of the 123 Amax has been debated. Some tests have shown it to be significantly less than the advertised .510.

Comment

• lrgrendel
                      Warrior
                      • Jul 2013

Powdervalley also has them for $24.52 a box....

Comment

• JASmith
                        Chieftain
                        • Sep 2014

Has anyone called Hornady directly to get their statement on the fate of the 123 gr AMAX?
                        shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
                        -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                          Administrator
                          • Feb 2011

Yes, see post #12 this thread. Kmon called and Hornady debunked the rumor.
                          :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• lokepup
                            Unwashed
                            • Jan 2017

The new Hornandy reload guide..

has the 123 and 120 GR AMax listed as discontinued.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                              Super Moderator
                              • Sep 2014

123gr AMAX is being replaced by 123gr ELD-M.

They are streamlining production with one source of polymer tips over to the heat shield tips, to include the AMAX.

There isn't any reason to keep the old tips in production anymore.

123gr ELD-M is an AMP jacket design with a better boat tail than the 123gr AMAX, with the new tip, so BC is higher, but bullet construction is the same with jacket and core.

We had this conversation with Hornady last week at SHOT.
                              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• BjornF16
                                Chieftain
                                • Jun 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                                123gr AMAX is being replaced by 123gr ELD-M.

They are streamlining production with one source of polymer tips over to the heat shield tips, to include the AMAX.

There isn't any reason to keep the old tips in production anymore.

123gr ELD-M is an AMP jacket design with a better boat tail than the 123gr AMAX, with the new tip, so BC is higher, but bullet construction is the same with jacket and core.

We had this conversation with Hornady last week at SHOT.
                                Hornady's website lists 123 A-Max G1 = .510; 123 ELD-M G1 = .506

Either the A-Max is overstated and Hornady never bothered to fix the listed G1, or they are the same with .506 being closer to reality...which?
                                LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
                                Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

Working...
                                X