BFT - Why 4150cmv over 416r for the group buys on the 6.5grend barrels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bob4432
    Warrior
    • May 2016

BFT - Why 4150cmv over 416r for the group buys on the 6.5grend barrels?

Maybe my search was off, but as title says, why not 416R on the Grendel group buy barrels? Question comes completely out of curiosity. Appreciate you putting these together 👍. Understand they would be a bit more $.

Bob
  • 762n40
    Bloodstained
    • Oct 2015

Not sure why but I'd like to see a group buy barrel in stainless with 3 groove rifling. 18" with mid gas or 20" with rifle gas. 16" works good but noise is a factor with short barrels and that is important to me as to avoid.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
      Administrator
      • Feb 2011

Yes, keeping the price in check was a consideration. When putting the first buy together I didn't want Faxon to reinvent the wheel entirely, it was enough of a risk to have them do a cartridge they'd never done, so I wanted to flow with what they were used to. Not only that, but these barrels were intended to fill a hole in the market, to give the 6.5 Grendel community something not available elsewhere.

What are the pros and cons that I should be aware of regarding 4150CMV vs. 416R stainless? Let's assume both are QPQ nitrited.
      :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• bob4432
        Warrior
        • May 2016

From what I have been told by Nathan himself, if my memory serves me correctly, is that at the very least all aspects of machining would be more precise since 416R is easier to cut than 4150CMV. Give me a couple days and I will find his pm or post that he responded so I can quote it directly.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
          Administrator
          • Feb 2011

More precise is good! Is it, then, a question of durability vs. precision?

Here's Nathan's post on CMV vs stainless on Faxon's blog.
          :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• bob4432
            Warrior
            • May 2016

BFT -
            Basically what you have linked to is what I was told, I couldn't find the exact quotes but that link summarizes it perfectly about the rifling being more precise. I was never given any type of % of difference so I don't know how the difference equates to real world shooting. I don't know how good of a shot one needs to be to take advantage of the difference. I personally would like to see at least 5 or 10 shot groups but that is just my opinion.

There is a YouTube video out there that compares an AK47 with I believe a chrome lined barrel vs a Faxon 416R govt profile barrel. They were shot full auto mag back to back until failure. Both got red hot, had some cook offs - they were tortured to hell. The end result was the Faxon 416R govt profile (in 5.56) did not shoot as many rnds but the difference was not many, 50 or so rnds if memory serves me. Is there any way for a 3R 16" in 416R group buy a possibility? I am looking to pick up a 5.56 416R govt profile for a build and see if 416R in 6.5Grendel is a possibility. Considering the 4150 16" is pretty much fully capable of sub MOA at least to 200yds, going to 416R can only make it better IMHO.

Thanks for setting these up, any chance you can put total barrel qty per each group in their perspective threads so we know where we as the readers know where things stand?

Again, thanks for all you have done,
            Bob

Comment

• RogueNathan
              Bloodstained
              • Jul 2015

The % difference is small, but comes down to does one want slightly better accuracy at the cost of barrel life?
              The Director at Faxon Firearms.

Please send us an e-mail anytime! Nathan.S@faxonfirearms.com

Comment

• wganz
                Bloodstained
                • Apr 2015

Originally posted by RogueNathan View Post
                The % difference is small, but comes down to does one want slightly better accuracy at the cost of barrel life?
                Given that we'll see porcine avionics before the Hughes Amendment is overturned to allow simple serfs, such as I, to have Full Auto; would a better way to look at this is that 416R provides a more accurate barrel at a lower cost?

Comment

• Texas
                  Chieftain
                  • Jun 2016

There are actually two Mil Standards for 4150 CMV -- Mil B and Mil S, the difference has to do primarily with the sulfur content in the steel. That being said, just because it is a mil std does mean it is the best material for the application -- it may be the standard that was set back as far as the 1920s and has not been changed because it is difficult to get it changed. I have looked at the standards over 70 years of production om M2s, and there are a lot of upgrades that would improve the weapon system which will never be made under the current approval structures.
                  The life of a barrel is more a function of how it is used and maintained than what it is made of when it comes to 4150 CMV or 416R stainless.

Comment

• am4966
                    Chieftain
                    • Jul 2014

416R the QPQ it, t that's what's we did with the Lilja group buy on sbr barrels a couple years back.
                    12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
                    Surge - Rugged Suppressor
                    Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

Working...
                    X