• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tommag
    Bloodstained
    • Oct 2015

Lapua vs Hornady brass

While priming brass this morning, I noticed a difference between the two brands. My lapua brass has been handloaded only, while the Hornady is from factory loads. The Hornady is once fired, while the Lapua has been fired four times. All brass has had the pockets cut square with a uniforming tool.
    The primers seated much easier with the Hornady brass. I don't know if the pockets start out a touch larger with the Hornady brass, but it appears that the Lapua is a little tougher.
    I've used primer pocket looseness to cull my brass on improved cartridges as it is the only sign of problems in improved cartridges. ( no case stretching/incipient case head seperation)
    Has anybody else noticed this?
  • Rickc
    Warrior
    • Aug 2016

There is no comparison

Lapua is far superior

With Lapua you leave those primer pockets and flash holes alone

Comment

• SDguy
      Warrior
      • Oct 2015

***** Lapua - IMHO nothing else compares

1st IMHO nothing else compares to Lapua from a durability standpoint. Over all quality tends to be by far better with Lapua as well, all prep work is done out of the gate.

Either one can work for you mind you. If you wish to shoot your brass a lot my experience is you will be money ahead with Lapua.

Still don't hurt to shop around for Lapua as prices can and do vary a lot.
      Last edited by SDguy; 10-17-2016, 03:18 AM.

Comment

• tommag
        Bloodstained
        • Oct 2015

That is the impression I'm getting. I bought 400 at .80 each. Looks like it will last me a while. Now, I'm seeing a buck or so a piece.

Comment

• kmon
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2015

Originally posted by tommag View Post
          That is the impression I'm getting. I bought 400 at .80 each. Looks like it will last me a while. Now, I'm seeing a buck or so a piece.
          At a buck each, 10 loadings that is ten cents for brass per shot. Remember many report up to 20 loadings from Lapua, I am not to that count yet, which would put the case cost at a nickel a shot which is only a little more than the primer and less than the powder or bullet for a loaded round.

Brass already being prepped is another big plus for Lapua brass.

Comment

• 1075 tech
            Warrior
            • Apr 2015

Originally posted by SDguy View Post
            1st IMHO nothing else compares to Lapua from a durability standpoint. Over all quality tends to be by far better with Lapua as well, all prep work is done out of the gate.

Either one can work for you mind you. If you wish to shoot your brass a lot my experience is you will be money ahead with Lapua.

Still don't hurt to shop around for Lapua as prices can and do vary a lot.
            Bullits.com $86/100

Did a quick Google search. This was the cheapest I found.

They also had CCI 41 primers on sale for $34 and change/1000 if you bought 5 boxes. $9.95 shipping and $20 Haz-mat fee. Cheapest I've seen on line in a while and lowest Haz-mat fee I've seen.
            Last edited by 1075 tech; 10-17-2016, 10:46 PM. Reason: Added info

Comment

• bwaites
              • Mar 2011

I have yet to lose a Lapua case to a loose primer pocket, and I have 20 plus reloads on some of mine. You can't read the headstamp on some of them, but the pockets are still tight. If I get 4 reloads from Hornady I feel good about it.

I had quite a bit of .338 Lapua brass from Hornady, I see them start coming apart after 2-3 reloads, and the primer pockets are noticeably opening after 2 reloads. The same occurs with Norma brass.

I'll be buying more Lapua .338 brass.

Comment

• Klem
                Chieftain
                • Aug 2013

tommag,

What primers are you using?

Comment

• Kilco
                  Chieftain
                  • Jan 2016

I use my semi-auto rifles in the field so much that losing them in inevitable. Plus the nature of a semi-auto is very hard on brass, from being stripped from magazine and being slammed into battery to the abrupt ejection. Lapua is far better in quality, but I only forked out the cash for lapua brass on a semi-auto once (ar-10 chambered in 260 rem) and I bet I'd either lost, or banged up the brass so bad that is wasn't worth the investment. Also, reloading for a semi-auto you really should be full length sizing everytime, which works the brass quite a bit, shorting it's life. For that reason in my semis I use whatever I can get my hands on at a reasonable price.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                    Super Moderator
                    • Sep 2014

My CFE223 loads 31.2gr with 123gr AMAX or SST and Lapua brass come out looking almost new.

I have lost one piece of Lapua Grendel brass in 7 years now from using too much Imperial sizing wax, which over-worked the neck and caused a split.

I switched to spray-on and haven't had an issue since.

I use a brass-catcher at the range, so no problems retaining brass.

I also use a lot of Hornady brass. Can't say I have lost one yet either.
                    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Rickc
                      Warrior
                      • Aug 2016

brass catcher is the key. no lost brass, brass stays clean and no bending over to pick it up. A wonderful thing.

Comment

• tommag
                        Bloodstained
                        • Oct 2015

Klem, I used 7 1/2 in this batch.

Comment

• Kilco
                          Chieftain
                          • Jan 2016

Brass catcher is a good idea... I probably should have invested in one long ago...

Comment

• Rickc
                            Warrior
                            • Aug 2016

The one I use is very inexpensive. I have tried fancier ones but none have worked as well as this very simple one. Takes a little time to get it.broken in and adjusted properly. Don't get frustrated with it the first time you use it. Easy to adjust by just bending.the wire support. The velcro strap takes a while to break in.

Comment

Working...
                            X