• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dega37
    Bloodstained
    • Nov 2014

Full length sizing problem

Have an interesting sizing problem when I reload. I have applied lube but still shaving brass and doesn't appear to go all the way down to the extractor groove, and the base extends about .001" beyond the spec per the Lee case gauge. Anyone have thoughts?

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users like dega375.

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users like dega375.

Sized not over-cammed: http://imgur.com/eqRoINm
    Sized over-cammed: http://imgur.com/trzrFID

Both have same overall length; Left -Fits in Gage but possibly over bumped; Right - slightly protrudes from bottom: http://imgur.com/nH3Wjf9
    In a comparator the left is .012" longer than right, and the case gauge has a difference of .015" between the go and no go.

Better view of bulge starting to shear: http://imgur.com/Ua6b5Z7
    .442" vs .446" - .004" difference in the web bulge
    If I complete full cam, the sheer becomes too wide to even fit in the case gage and is unuseable
    Last edited by dega37; 11-03-2016, 01:29 AM. Reason: Added Picture
  • rwh
    Warrior
    • Jun 2014

I can't see the pictures.

Comment

• JASmith
      Chieftain
      • Sep 2014

The images suggest that the base of the sizing die has a sharp edge and did not get the chamfer it needs.

Compare it with other sizing dies so you can be better informed before deciding to return it for adjustment or replacement.
      shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
      -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• LR1955
        Super Moderator
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by dega37 View Post
        Have an interesting sizing problem when I reload. I have applied lube but still shaving brass and doesn't appear to go all the way down to the extractor groove, and the base extends about .001" beyond the spec per the Lee case gauge. Anyone have thoughts?

Apparently these images cannot be viewed, is this an Imgur problem?
        D37:

Images came through fine for me.

If you are using a Lee sizing die, throw it and the seating die into the trash and buy a set of dies made by any other manufacturer.

If not, what brand die are you using?

LR55

Comment

• dega37
          Bloodstained
          • Nov 2014

I'm using a redding with a neck bushing. Seating is the forster ultra micro.

Comment

• dega37
            Bloodstained
            • Nov 2014

JA, have you had a die do that before that you had to return?

Comment

• JASmith
              Chieftain
              • Sep 2014

Never, and almost all of them will size all the way to the base.

That's why I suspect your die may have slipped through a QC check.
              shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
              -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• dega37
                Bloodstained
                • Nov 2014

Originally posted by JASmith View Post
                Never, and almost all of them will size all the way to the base.

That's why I suspect your die may have slipped through a QC check.
                Well that is unfortunate. I guess I will have to send it in then.

Comment

• din
                  Warrior
                  • Feb 2015

Originally posted by dega37 View Post
                  Well that is unfortunate. I guess I will have to send it in then.
                  Sending it back sucks, but at least you know it's not something you were doing that was causing the problem.

Comment

• dega37
                    Bloodstained
                    • Nov 2014

Do you guys have to over-cam your redding dies to set the shoulder back? Is there a non-full length die made for only bumping the shoulder?

Comment

• hbp
                      Unwashed
                      • Nov 2014

Redding makes a competition shell holder set (#11612) that will allow you to adjust your set back without having to use a lot of cam over. Some cam over may be desirable in order to keep the cartridge concentric and square to base of the brass. The tolerances of the press and the alignments of the dies may make cam over necessary.

Comment

• Klem
                        Chieftain
                        • Aug 2013

I don't think you have too much to worry about where the size of your chamber is concerned.

Your case gauge is showing that a fired case exceeds SAAMI specs;

Apart from the initial stretching of a new case in the first fire forming, from then on they should be fine. As long as you only size them back by .003" then the case life should be normal, the rifle will function reliably, and the chamber is as safe as any other. If you size them back to SAAMI however you will be experiencing more stretch than necessary and those cases won't last as long.

When I size mine back .003" they still sit proud of the 'No-Go' top level of the gauge.

As for the squeezing of the case in the die. Unsure here. It could be fine and screwed in too much, or it could be faulty because it is too tight. It could also be fine and your cases are getting a work-out being sized back to SAAMI after coming out of a wide (as well as long) chamber.

Comment

• Klem
                          Chieftain
                          • Aug 2013

One further thought... it could also be that the die is still coated with packing grease from the factory. Wouldn't hurt to give it a quick scrub with a cleaning brush and degreaser?

Comment

• Rickc
                            Warrior
                            • Aug 2016

Originally posted by Klem View Post
                            One further thought... it could also be that the die is still coated with packing grease from the factory. Wouldn't hurt to give it a quick scrub with a cleaning brush and degreaser?
                            Lots of.people miss that step. They are coated with a protective grease.

A new die should be cleaned throughly. I just use hoppes #9

In fact I clean them periodically to remove any buildup of case lube. It will hold any dirt or grit that happens to get in there.
                            Last edited by Rickc; 10-31-2016, 09:28 AM.

Comment

• SDguy
                              Warrior
                              • Oct 2015

I like to go a step beyond cleaning and give all new dies a good polishing with Flitz. A nylon brush lightly loaded up with Flitz in a cordless drill & cycled through the die for roughly 90 to 180 seconds goes a long ways to minimizing the force required to cycle the brass through the sizing process.

Necking brass down to diffrent calibers led me to realize the benefits of polishing dies of any MFG origin. No measurable size change is recognized, yet there sure is a noticeable change in resistance.

Comment

Working...
                              X