• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dega37
    Bloodstained
    • Nov 2014

129Gr Accubond LR

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users like dega375.

For those interested I have a 24" barrel and used two different powders.

CFE223 30.3gr - 2516 Avg FPS w STDev 14.87 FPS
    - dirty powder, smaller granules so easier to fill case but annoying to get an accurate grain weight with tweezers
    IMR4166 25.5gr - 2273 Avg FPS w STDev 14.90 FPS
    - slow, accurate, clean powder, large granules so easier to get an accurate grain weight with tweezers
  • JASmith
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2014

I have had the same experience on occasion. Hornady did a good job of creating a seater plug that works for my 20 caliber bullets.

Forster should be able to the same but not likely in time for this year's hunting season.

Did you get the rings with compressed loads only?
    shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
    -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• dega37
      Bloodstained
      • Nov 2014

I didn't feel much resistance, but there did appear to be compression. By the way the picture above was more pronounced than my experience, more like a slight ring, but still noticeable and would expect change bullet trajectory.

So did you just contact the company and ask how much it would cost to get a custom seater or do they have some profiles on file and might get lucky?

Comment

• JASmith
        Chieftain
        • Sep 2014

Hornady asked be to send samples of the bullets so they could make the plug match my profile.

I have been told that it can be a DIY effort by using a bit of valve grinding compound and lightly turning the plug while in contact with the nose. I had time and the fee was small enough that the lazy part of me kicked in.
        shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
        -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• dega37
          Bloodstained
          • Nov 2014

The lazy and non-experienced part of me agrees with you JAS. I'll post what Forster says when I get a chance to call them.

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

You need a VLD seater plug.

I've never seen anything like that seating with basic Hornady dies though, and I've loaded a lot of the 129gr ABLR.
            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Jakal
              Warrior
              • May 2014

My Redding dies do this also, the more compressed, the more deformation. I tried AR-COMP, CFE223, XBR and TAC. All but TAC are compressed. Called Nosler and they daid this was correct but accuracy should not be affected.
              Shot some last week out of my 12.5" Lilja pistol. Had several 2 hole groups, shooting at 200 yards. 27 grains XBR. 2160 fps.
              Last edited by Jakal; 10-24-2016, 08:47 PM.
              ""Come taste my Shillelagh you goat-eatin bastard!""

Comment

• dega37
                Bloodstained
                • Nov 2014

I called Forster and the engineer stated that I might have the older variant seater stem, and to send it in with some bullets. He stated that they don't make custom stems, however. Unfortunately, it appears that all of the 129gr Accubonds are all sold out so this might have to wait.

LR, I think the Forster die came with a VLD stem. You haven't had any deformation with the Hornady dies? I assume you have had some compressed loads from some of your posts.

Jakal, it is difficult for me to believe that this would not have an impact on the ballistic coefficient.

Comment

• Jakal
                  Warrior
                  • May 2014

That's what I thought also. This has got to mess with the BC.

Might try manventureoutpost.com. They had 24 units in stock last week.
                  ""Come taste my Shillelagh you goat-eatin bastard!""

Comment

Working...
                  X