• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kswhitetails
    Chieftain
    • Oct 2016

Now, for the field tests!

I've been eying parts for a Grendel build for a while, and finally decided to just go ahead and "surprise" the wife with a new gun. (She doesn't shoot... yet)

I really wanted another upper I could throw on my BCM Recce, and after some lengthy consideration the 6.5 Grendel won out over building an AAC. Where I hunt I have the opportunity relatively often to take game beyond 300 yards. So far have been too shy to do so because I can't afford to practice with factory .270 ammunition as often as I should to take a shot at that distance. I don't want to be wounding game. The steel cased Grendel rounds are a potential cure for that, or at least I hope they are.

I wanted to take the Recce to the woods, and was going to do so. However I convinced myself that because I see game beyond 200 yards more often than closer, having a semi-auto weapon capable of ranging that far was worth the investment. (both of my bucks were taken just shy of 260 yards with my dad's .270 Interarms Mauser) My 1896 30-30 only goes with me to the scrub, and gets lots of action there, but I'm getting older and recovery is getting tedious!

So, here goes:

For barrel I decided to go with William Beene's Ar15performance Predator series 20 inch 1 in 8.5 5r button barrel in 416R stainless.

I went with Brownel's forged black upper,
    rifle length black nitrided gas tube and roll pin,
    and upper receiver parts kit.

Seekins precision adjustable gas block (the barrel is dimpled, and placing the gas block set screw in the dimple puts it up against the shoulder, anyone else have experience with this? I thought there should be a .010 or so gap. Do the guys over at Seekins machine the block to butt up flush?) (Brownel's)

A CBC Industries 15 inch keymod

YHM thread protector also in 416R (Brownel's)

Nikon M223 mount (Brownel's)

Nikon Active Target Special 3-9x40 BDC. Cabela's bargain cave)

PWS keymod mount for a Harris 9-13 inch bipod (too tall without but great with a heavy coat of winter gear...) (also Brownel's)

This isn't an ad for Brownel's but I have no problem telling folks who I trust and whom I buy things from.

I had to get the dremel out and machine the screw holes in the CBC Industries handguard because I had some trouble lining up the rail. My A-rententative side showing...

SAM_0004_opt.jpg

I still need a BCG to throw the Grendel bolt in so I don't have to pull any pins other than the takedowns to switch calibers. Anyone sitting on an unused carrier?

I'm really impressed with the PNT trigger from BCM, but I wonder if I shouldn't just build a new second lower with something like a Larue MBT or the like and dedicate it to the Grendel. I'm not sure the wife could be sold on that at the moment...

All said and done, minus the optic which I already had, I'm at $514.65 to my door for the complete upper. This includes one box of Hornady 123gr SST and two STONER 5 rd mags from Midway.
    Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.
  • jim_bob
    Warrior
    • Jul 2014

Nice looking upper. Might as well build it a lower while you are at it! Let's see some groups.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
      Chieftain
      • Oct 2016

Thanks! I should be getting to the range this weekend to do the initial (figure out what I did wrong building it) shooting session. If all goes well, which I fully expect it to, then sight in and initial grouping will commence. Any information on barrel break in? This is my first brand new barrel, I want to treat her right.
      Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• RicosRevenge
        Warrior
        • Jan 2016

Awesome and thanks for getting someone else into the sport!

Comment

• LR1955
          Super Moderator
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Kswhitetails View Post
          Thanks! I should be getting to the range this weekend to do the initial (figure out what I did wrong building it) shooting session. If all goes well, which I fully expect it to, then sight in and initial grouping will commence. Any information on barrel break in? This is my first brand new barrel, I want to treat her right.
          KSW:

Take out the rifle, get a zero and do some practice. At the end of your practice, clean the barrel as you would any other barrel.

Pretty simple.

LR55

Comment

• CrisAnderson27
            Bloodstained
            • Sep 2016

Sounds a good bit like my build (in this forum below your links). I took used the Predator 20" barrel. I opted for the heavy duty bolt...750XD if I recall?

If your gun is anything like mine...you're going to love it .

Comment

Working...
            X