• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cory
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2012

Organizing Brass

This question is for y'all who shoot multiple Grendels. How meticulously do you separate your brass between rifles?

I've been organizing my brass by which rifle it was fired from and how many times it has been fired. Frankly this is becoming a pain in the butt. I'd like to stop separating spent brass between rifles unless there's a specific reason why I should continue.

I measured the headspace of spent brass from my 16" bartlein and 11.5" Lilja. It's only a ~0.005" difference. 1.223" and 1.228" averages.
    "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin
  • D.Davis
    Warrior
    • Sep 2013

Cory, If you are shooting from a semi-auto you need clearance to function properly. That means resizing the case more for semi's. So if the case holds the same load it is not that important of a detail to seperate the cases. I do not think we can shoot the difference anyway. shoot more, sort less. Dave.

Comment

• terrywick4
      Warrior
      • Sep 2014

Don't sort the brass just send it to me.

In the four grendels that I reload for I haven't had any problem with mixing brass but I do check everyone after sizing in case guage to make sure the shoulder is bumped far enough. I made the mistake one time with the 223 and check them all after sizing now.

Comment

• Jakal
        Warrior
        • May 2014

3 Grendels 1-20" Bartlein 1-20" Lilja and 1-12.5" Lilja. The Bartlein shoots Lapua and the other 2 Hornady brass.

The Bartlein chamber is a little longer than the Lilja's, which run the same.

1.524 brass shoulder fired from the Bartlein and 1.519 brass shoulder fired from the Lilja's, so I just sort by brass vendor and set my full length sizing die accordingly to .003 bump and run lots of 100 or more..

Got some Cerrosafe, gonna cast each one so I know what's really going on.
        ""Come taste my Shillelagh you goat-eatin bastard!""

Comment

• diddlyv
          Warrior
          • Aug 2016

I have used cerrosafe in bolt guns, sharps and remington rolling blocks. Kinda scared of pouring it into an AR chamber given the locking lugs. Do you folks ever experience problems??
          Queen of Battle
          Follow Me

Life NRA, DAV ,VFW, SASS

Comment

Working...
          X