• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WanderingZero
    Bloodstained
    • Jul 2016

Update: lightweight build dialed in and ready to hunt

Here's an update on my first build, posted a while back: http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...tweight-hunter

I think she's good to go. I worked up to 28.3 grains of XBR8208 in Lapua brass under a 120 grain Hirtenberger softpoint spitzer purchased in bulk from Grafs, 16 cents apiece for 1,000 - looks like they're sold out now though. I last chronoed at 28.0 grains and was getting around 2420-30 fps and had no pressure signs so I bumped it up 3/10 and figured I'd be in the neighborhood of 2450, which was what I was hoping to achieve out of the 16 inch Alexander Arms barrel.

I did not chrono at 28.3 but shot several groups and am achieving my goal of 1.5 moa, which is about as good as I can expect to shoot with a 2.5x scope, and more than adequate for deer out to maybe 200 yards but much more likely less than 100 for the kind of hunting I do. I see this carbine as sort of a modern equivalent of a Winchester Model 94 - a lighweight, quick handling piece for woods hunting.

I swapped out the flash hider for a muzzle brake sold on ebay by "McDonald Precision," which I'm guessing is a one man shop. For less than $30 delivered, I'm impressed. Fit and finish are nice, and it's very effective. There wasn't much recoil to start with but now it's practically recoilless. It's definitely directing gas backward from the muzzle as evidenced by soot on the handguard after a shooting session. The brake has no wrench flats; I mounted it using a knurled lock nut and thread locker for timing. If you're considering ordering one of these brakes just be advised that it appears they are made to order; it took about a week after I placed my order for it to be shipped.

I had previously sighted in with the flash hider in place and found that point of impact had shifted maybe an inch to the right at 100 yards with the brake installed. I adjusted the scope slightly for windage after shooting the group in the photo below.

I'm running the JP adjustable gas block wide open and getting consistent ejection about 6-8 feet to the 3-4 o'clock position.

I've also added a Way of the Gun Proctor sling, which necessitated adding a short rail section for the front attachment. Still beats the heck out of a QD swivel price wise though. I'm liking the sling so far - weighs next to nothing and doesn't rattle or get in the way. It was much longer than necessary for my usage (no body armor etc to wear it over) but I found that it's just about perfect with the rear loop tightened up as far as it will go. I trimmed probably a foot of material off that end after adjustment. With the front loop also tightened up it works for both normal over the shoulder (non-tactical) carry and also as a hasty sling. There's still plenty of adjustment in that front loop that I could use if wearing especially heavy clothing or if I needed to put it over my back, as I might do if dragging out a deer.

Hunting season is under way here in Montana and I've carried this rifle up and down the side of a mountain once so far, enjoying the experience. I'll post an update in the hunting forum if I have something to report.
    Attached Files
  • 65Whelen
    Warrior
    • Sep 2014

I like your thinking. Built one very similar. How much does yours weigh? I just posted my sight-in result. Mines is right at 7lb w/mag.
    WI deer hunting coming up so I took the Grendel out to the range to make sure everything is as it should be and once again the Grendel exceeded my expectations. Shoots a 5-shot group Sub-MOA at 200yrs. I built this for my brush gun, 100yds tops. So when it shoots good at 200 I'm tickled. The gun: 14.5" Sabre barrel
    Last edited by 65Whelen; 10-31-2016, 09:53 PM.

Comment

• WanderingZero
      Bloodstained
      • Jul 2016

That's some nice shooting Whelen. I can see we were thinking along the same lines. Mine came in just barely over 6.5 pounds with an empty magazine, before I added the sling and swapped the flash hider for the muzzle brake, which is a little heavier, but overall it's still pretty light.

Comment

• jim_bob
        Warrior
        • Jul 2014

A nice looking and good shooting blaster. Good luck in the field!

Comment

• diddlyv
          Warrior
          • Aug 2016

Good job on lightening. My 16 incher with Leupold mod 1 3-9 x 40 comes in at 7.8 without mag
          Queen of Battle
          Follow Me

Life NRA, DAV ,VFW, SASS

Comment

Working...
          X