Buying a firearm and having a Medical Marijuana card?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mav714
    Bloodstained
    • May 2016

Buying a firearm and having a Medical Marijuana card?

I'm wondering if anyone can answer a question for me? Ohio has just recently passed medical marijuana law. It's going to take us a couple years to get up and running with it ore importantly I'm curious how it will impact the Fed laws of buying a gun. On the ATF form 4743 it asks if your addicted to marijuana etc..? What happens if you've got a MM card and the ATF sees it on a background check? See where I'm going? I heard from a guy in Michigan that said you can't buy a firearm if you have a medical marijuana card. .
    Why doesn't the form ask if your a alcoholic? DUI?
    Anyone from other states with MMcards please help out?
  • montana
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2011

If you have a MMC in Montana you are in violation of federal law and will be denied approval from purchasing a firearm.

Comment

• kb18no1
      Bloodstained
      • May 2015

Weigh your risk/reward... also consider who may win the upcoming election.

Firearms are far more important to me than mmj.

In Colorado, I believe they say the mmj database is private. Problem is - I just don't trust the government, especially since one party wants to completely disarm Americans and strip there constitutional rights.
      Last edited by kb18no1; 11-05-2016, 12:15 AM.

Comment

• Frank45
        Warrior
        • Mar 2016

In CA if you have a card, no guns. At my lgs a couple months ago and the owner told me about a guy getting denied earlier that day.

Comment

• rabiddawg
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2013

I believe the issue is state vs federal.

States may allow mmc but it violates federal law and the Feds are the ones who give the ok to buy firearms.
          Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• TitanNV
            Bloodstained
            • Dec 2015

Yep, weed is illegal according the the Feds, regardless if your state is okay with allowing illegal drugs in your state.

Until the Feds change it, if one must choose between exercising 2A rights, or getting high.

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

ATF just updated the 4473 to specifically to prohibit medical marijuana users, regardless of legality in your State.

I'm not stating an opinion, just what one of the many updates was to the 4473.
              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Schrambo
                Warrior
                • Oct 2016

And its worse if you have C3 goodies... I won't get a card even if it is legal (now true in where I live in MT)... Too much database sharing will occur in the future...

And I was living in CO with they legalized recreational use... It went to hell quickly there...
                Last edited by Schrambo; 11-20-2016, 03:27 AM.

Comment

• Drift
                  Warrior
                  • Nov 2014

Yes. The forces that want to limit our 2nd Amendment Rights are using the Federal marijuana laws have found a weak point in the armor. They will exploit that weakness. It's what they do. (left or right of center it's the same goal) How long until a MMC will preclude a person from a CCW licence? How much longer after that will a hunting licence be forbidden for people with MMCs?

Comment

• stanc
                    Banned
                    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Mav714 View Post
                    On the ATF form 4743 it asks if your addicted to marijuana etc..? What happens if you've got a MM card and the ATF sees it on a background check? See where I'm going? I heard from a guy in Michigan that said you can't buy a firearm if you have a medical marijuana card. .
                    Why doesn't the form ask if your a alcoholic? DUI?
                    Undoubtedly because consumption of alcoholic beverages is not in violation of Federal law.

If Prohibition had not been repealed, and alcohol use was made legal at the State level, it's a safe bet that such a question would be on the 4473.

Comment

• stanc
                      Banned
                      • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Drift View Post
                      Yes. The forces that want to limit our 2nd Amendment Rights are using the Federal marijuana laws have found a weak point in the armor.
                      I wouldn't characterize this as "a weak point in the armor." Since use of marijuana violates Federal law, the ATF has no real choice but to address the matter with the update to the 4473.

How long until a MMC will preclude a person from a CCW licence? How much longer after that will a hunting licence be forbidden for people with MMCs?
                      Since those licenses -- like the MMC -- are issued by the individual States, what rationale could be used for denials?

Comment

• Drift
                        Warrior
                        • Nov 2014

So (trying to get back on topic) to answer Mav 714s queston. Most of us here believe that a MMC and a form 4473 to be (at least) a potential problem if you go that rout to obtain a firearm.

Comment

Working...
                        X