• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bigs28
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2016

Help me choose

I only have the budget for 1 of the following.

1 piece scope mount (currently have basic weaver rings that don't elevate the optic high enough for comfort but does work)

Jp silent capture spring

New trigger (most likely geissele)
  • Kilco
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2016

Scope mounts! Nothing else matters if you can get comfy behind the gun in different positions. Spring and trigger are both nice upgrades, but not required.

Comment

• WanderingZero
      Bloodstained
      • Jul 2016

I agree with Kilco. Scope mount first. Trigger would be my second priority. The spring, in my opinion, is more of a "luxury" upgrade than something really necessary.

Comment

• CrisAnderson27
        Bloodstained
        • Sep 2016

I was always taught that the first thing you do when setting up any firearm to shoot...is close your eyes, and bring it to firing position. Then open your sighting eye. Assuming you have reasonable form...if the scope/optic/sights are out of alignment, that's the first thing you fix. A mediocre gun can be fired effectively by a comfortable, competent shooter. A great gun in front of an uncomfortable, compromised shooter will never be more than mediocre.

Comment

• Drillboss
          Warrior
          • Jan 2015

My vote is going with the trigger. The standard, mil spec, AR trigger is horrendous.

Assuming you can see through the scope, go with the trigger.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2015

One peice scope mount, the grendel is a AR not a bolt action, if your scope is sitting to low with rings get the scope mount first and you will much happer.

If the scope is too low you will never be comfortable shooting it and you never will be as accurate as you could be.

After the scope mount and when you have the funds then get the trigger.

Comment

• Klem
              Chieftain
              • Aug 2013

$180 'Silent' spring
              'Silence' + BOOM! = BOOM!

$3 Normal Spring.
              'Boing' + BOOM! = BOOM!

$180 is going to go a long way if you are tight with money. Especially in the context the 'silent' spring is not going to help you get rounds on the target. The other two will. I would drop the spring from your list.

Comment

• Retro
                Warrior
                • Jul 2016

The mil spec trigger is easy to improve with a little bit of polishing the hammer sear and the trigger contact points with a fine stone and some elbow grease. That doesn't cost anything other than time.

Comment

• CrisAnderson27
                  Bloodstained
                  • Sep 2016

Originally posted by Retro View Post
                  The mil spec trigger is easy to improve with a little bit of polishing the hammer sear and the trigger contact points with a fine stone and some elbow grease. That doesn't cost anything other than time.
                  Funny, I was just about to post this exact thing. I was talking to a friend about it the other day. He uses the JP enhanced reliability springs, and when he installs them he adds a dab of flitz to the mechanism. A piece of paracord to pull up on the hammer while pulling the trigger, and he says they polish pretty quickly (you can feel a major difference after 20 trigger pulls). But even better, there's no chance of over polishing, or rounding anything off. I've felt the triggers on his rifles...and they're impressively smooth and crisp. That's actually what caused me to ask him about it. I called BS when he smiled and told me they were mil spec lol...then he explained.

Comment

• Les
                    Warrior
                    • Oct 2016

Trigger.
                    Nebraska Firearms Owners Association. https://nebraskafirearms.org/wp/

Comment

• Bigs28
                      Chieftain
                      • Feb 2016

Ok so jpscs is out. I'm Going to be shopping the black Friday sales. If they are good enough maybe i can get both the trigger and the mount. Looking at geissele triggers. If anyone has scope mount suggestions, i will take them.

Comment

• RicosRevenge
                        Warrior
                        • Jan 2016

I use a PEPR mount on most of my ARs because they are solid and don't break the bank (around $70). Leaves other cash free for new stuff.

I have had one on my "go to" .556 for years holding a 1st Gen Razor 1-4x and I haven't had any issues.

Comment

• Josh
                          Bloodstained
                          • Oct 2016

Aero makes a great scope mount that's lightweight and pretty inexpensive. And look at the Geissele G2S, it's a bit cheaper than the SSA, regularly $165 but you can find it on sale for as low as $105 or so.

Comment

• Chrazy-Chris
                            Warrior
                            • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Bigs28 View Post
                            Ok so jpscs is out. I'm Going to be shopping the black Friday sales. If they are good enough maybe i can get both the trigger and the mount. Looking at geissele triggers. If anyone has scope mount suggestions, i will take them.
                            Check out the Larue MBT - it's supposed to rival the Geissele SSA-E and it's only $125 (although slow shipping times right now since everyone wants one). That should leave you enough cash to find a budget one-piece mount. Check out SWFA, a rebranded Burris PEPR. The Aero looks nice, too. You might be able to save some money by going used.

Comment

• kb18no1
                              Bloodstained
                              • May 2015

Originally posted by CrisAnderson27 View Post
                              Funny, I was just about to post this exact thing. I was talking to a friend about it the other day. He uses the JP enhanced reliability springs, and when he installs them he adds a dab of flitz to the mechanism. A piece of paracord to pull up on the hammer while pulling the trigger, and he says they polish pretty quickly (you can feel a major difference after 20 trigger pulls). But even better, there's no chance of over polishing, or rounding anything off. I've felt the triggers on his rifles...and they're impressively smooth and crisp. That's actually what caused me to ask him about it. I called BS when he smiled and told me they were mil spec lol...then he explained.
                              Mr. Geisselle has said to grease your trigger and not to clean. Over time the gun powder residue and grease will polish and improve the trigger.... basically the same as adding a metal polish like flitz.

Comment

Working...
                              X