• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

Laser bore sighting devices

Are the grendel and ak cases close enough in dimensions to use a ak case bore sight device in a grendel chamber.

Had a freind unload a few items on me and one of them is a lil ak case laser bore sighter, can it work in the grendel.
  • NugginFutz
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

If the neck size is true to the real deal, that 7.62 will not slip into your Grendel's chamber very far.

Personally, I find bore sighters highly overrated. 2 shots at 25 yards to get on paper, zeroed for windage. 3 more shots at 100 for a proper zero. Essentially the same # of rounds expended.
    If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• Klem
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2013

Nuggin is right...

I have never seen a laser boresighter that is as accurate as real bullets. You're going to have to expend the same number of rounds checking anyway.

Comment

• Rickc
        Warrior
        • Aug 2016

Originally posted by Klem View Post
        Nuggin is right...

I have never seen a laser boresighter that is as accurate as real bullets. You're going to have to expend the same number of rounds checking anyway.
        This one will get you on the paper. Switching scopes around from 20 moa rails to 0 moa.rails.can be difficult. Bought this one just.to make.life easier.

Today sighted in a new rifle as a test. Started at 100 yrds instead of the usual 25. First shot.was 8" high and 2" left.

Comment

• Klem
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Rickc View Post
          This one will get you on the paper. Switching scopes around from 20 moa rails to 0 moa.rails.can be difficult. Bought this one just.to make.life easier.

Today sighted in a new rifle as a test. Started at 100 yrds instead of the usual 25. First shot.was 8" high and 2" left.

http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/332...rGnBoC0jDw_wcB
          Looking through the barrel will get you on paper as well. Not saying they don't work but they are no better than your eyeball.

Might be a bit quicker than pulling your gun apart, if that justifies the cost.

They have their uses...for example, being deployed somewhere and you can't shoot live rounds before heading out.

Or zeroing an M14 and you don't have a 90 degree bore mirror (and the spud on the muzzle variety is OK with the long flash eliminator), or you don't want to simply shoot at 25 and make gross adjustments first.

Or as a prop in a science fiction series (Westworld...the 'laser transceiver' cut out of the hosts arm).

Last edited by Klem; 11-13-2016, 05:10 AM.

Comment

• diddlyv
            Warrior
            • Aug 2016

I mount the gun pretty solidly, in the lead sled for bolt guns or my caldwell tack driver for ARs find the target at 100 and adjust the scope on target. I really like to shoot either a bolt or AR off the lead sled for the first shot. Fire the shot with the crosshairs in center of bull. Adjust the sled so that the cross hairs are back on center of bull then adjust the cross hairs to the bullet hole. The rifle is now zero'd. Adjust the sled to center crosshairs on bull shoot the shot to verify. I don't have a lazer bore sighter but can see the utility for lever guns and M-1 or M-14 style arms. Those having arguably the best sights ever put on a battle rifle rather begs the question as to why one would use a scope. With my M1A I found I could shoot better with the irons than the scope, mostly because of how high the scope ends up being when mounted. With proper cheek rests etc extreme accuracy for long range sniping can be achieved and in that role the scope is a good idea. For hunting at ranges I am comfortable in shooting game say 300 yards I find the irons satisfactory for shots where the animal is not hidden in the shadows then optics rule.
            Queen of Battle
            Follow Me

Life NRA, DAV ,VFW, SASS

Comment

• Klem
              Chieftain
              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by diddlyv View Post
              I don't have a lazer bore sighter but can see the utility for lever guns and M-1 or M-14 style arms. Those having arguably the best sights ever put on a battle rifle rather begs the question as to why one would use a scope. With my M1A I found I could shoot better with the irons than the scope, mostly because of how high the scope ends up being when mounted. With proper cheek rests etc extreme accuracy for long range sniping can be achieved and in that role the scope is a good idea. For hunting at ranges I am comfortable in shooting game say 300 yards I find the irons satisfactory for shots where the animal is not hidden in the shadows then optics rule.
              If you can shoot better at 300 with iron sights then all kudos to you - I cannot. I use a scopes because they are simply more accurate than iron sights. Plus they see more detail and as you say, are better at light gathering than the naked eye.

The M14/M1A was never designed to mount a scope. The short-medium range SOCOM system is a clumsy fix. One mount that is a thoughtful design is the Canadian CASM. It fits to the top of the receiver through the rear windage knob assembly (so you have to remove the rear sight assembly). Then you screw the front and back to push against the frame - So four points of contact. Other mounts that screw into that little threaded hole on the side or sit on the handguard are hopeless at keeping zero and are way too high. The CASM is as low as you can get a Picatinny rail, and with low rings you don't need too much padding on the rear stock.

Comment

• Slappy
                Warrior
                • Feb 2014

Originally posted by nugginfutz View Post
                if the neck size is true to the real deal, that 7.62 will not slip into your grendel's chamber very far.

Personally, i find bore sighters highly overrated. 2 shots at 25 yards to get on paper, zeroed for windage. 3 more shots at 100 for a proper zero. Essentially the same # of rounds expended.
                yup^^^^ bang bang!!

Comment

Working...
                X