• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scout_vet
    Unwashed
    • Jun 2016

Choices for build

I'm looking to get my first 6.5 Grendel. Ive narrowed it down to 3 choices. I'm not much for bolt actions. They all seem the same. I had my fill of ARs in the army looking for something different. So thus I have these: Mini 30 Grendel, VEPR, or Troy PAR.

Mostly this will be used for medium game (deer almost exclusively as I am in WA state and there isn't a lot beyond that) and range work.

Mini Grendel: probably the most expensive but not by much. Guessing 1600 could be more could be less. 16-18" barrel. The downside is magazines. I'm limited to ruger 5 round 6.8 and hoping the 20 round promags work well enough for the range.

The vepr isn't more for the base rifle than the base mini 30. But I have to get a stock adapter, folding stock, handguard, scope mount the price isn't dramatically less. While its a better situation for the mags the problem becomes availability.

The Troy PAR would probably be a little more for the base rifle the I need a barrel, bolt, folding stock adapter, and stock. Though using regular AR mags makes things easier. However finding a place to weld up the hole for the gas system. Again I don't think it would be much different in price.

I'm not interested in tactical stuff just fun at the range and hunting. I hunt a lot in the woods and the edges of clear cuts so I don't want a long barrel. 18" is the longest I will consider. I don't mind having smaller mags just as long as they work. Does anyone have any of these can tell me what they are like to live with day to day? Or as a rifle to grendelize? Obviously I wouldn't do the mini work but the others I would do myself as much as possible. Though I cant weld so I wouldn't do the barrel for the PAR. The last item is I have to think about resale. If Kel-Tec ever actually puts out the 6.5 Grendel RDB I will probably pick one up. Considering the length of time it took for the RFB and RDB I'm not going to wait but will think about it if/when that day comes.

I only own 1 other rifle a savage 116 30-06. I don't plan on getting another intermediate rifle so I cant get all three or even two of them. I have no interest in the Howa rifles. I may even look into selling my savage if I can decide on a non-bolt action rifle for Roosevelt elk.
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Have you looked at K-Var for Molot VEPR rifles? K-Var sell a lot of AK parts and rifles and they list 16", 20.5" and 23.5" 6.5 Grendel VEPR. I think I would lean towards the VEPR and the VEPR can be modified to accept 6.5 Grendel AR-15 mags. I'm not familar with the Troy PAR but I don't think I would want a converted Mini 30 to 6.5 Grendel. The Mini 30 has been converted to 6.5 Grendel but I just don't like the Mini with longer heavier barrels, basically boils down to personal choice and your wallet.

I to would be intersted in a RDB in 6.5 Grendel as I already own a Tavor and like bullpups.

Last edited by VASCAR2; 11-12-2016, 11:36 PM.

Comment

• scout_vet
      Unwashed
      • Jun 2016

Ok I like the vepr and expected some extra weight but I'm not carrying around a 9.5 lbs rifle in anything less than a .308 family caliber.

Comment

Working...
      X