Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • quadfather03

6.5 grendel and 450 bushmaster

Here is my 6.5 grendel and my 450 bushmaster.

How do you like the 450? I have thought about one, but what advantage does it have over something like the 7.62x39? I know they are pretty much limited to about 200-300 (maybe) so I'm not sure it's my cup of tea, but I hear they are completely and utterly devastating on anything they hit...

Comment

• StoneTower

The 450 is in the same class as the Beowulf. You are not going to reach out to 450 yards (unless you are an expert and aim at the sky) but you will crush anything under 200 yards. The 7.62x39 probably has more usable range with quality loads & a quality rifle, but it is not goin to crush the target like a big bore. They are two different tools.

Comment

Yea, I knew that, my bad. Bad comparison... I guess there really isn't anything to compare it too other than the 50, and since it's bigger, it's obviously going to have the + and - for that... I was thinking the 39 due to the accuracy issue... (yes, I know it's more accurate than that, but not much more...). What grain of bullets do you shoot for it? I have always been interested, but if I can kill it with my 308, why not just do that??? What is the advantage other than if you are shooting super thick skinned game?

Comment

• jwilson1985

450 ballistic cart scroll down http://shanedaughtry.com/450bushmaster.aspx
          50 beowulf ballistic chart scroll down to 16" http://www.alexanderarms.com/images/...ballistics.pdf
          450 is limited to pistol rounds 300grn is pushing it 50 beowulf has up to a 600grn

Comment

• jwilson1985

and nice rifles justin

Comment

• StoneTower

There are other big bore ar15 uppers also such as the 458 SOCOM.

It is my understanding that the 450 as well as the other big bore uppers can be extremely accurate if used within the range that they are designed to work.

The 7.62x39 in itself does not have accuracy issues. The problem comes in when you shoot cheap surplus in AK rifles that are designed to shoot within a circle that is eight inches at 100 yards. Remember that the 7.62x39 is that case that the 220 Russian is based upon which developed into the 6mm PPC & the Grendel.

Comment

• bwaites
                • Mar 2011

My Beo is very accurate out to 200 yards, with easy sub MOA groups. This was 5 shots when I re-zero'd at 100 yards from 200.

The 2 lower shots in the T were the first 2 of the 5 as I adjusted the scope.

Comment

• jwilson1985

yep all have their place i guess im just sold on a 50 i mean with all 3 rounds realisticly 300 yrds is it so why not go bigger lol ,well inless your in ca

Comment

• StoneTower

50 caliber is not the problem in California. The 50 BMG is specifically banned for import or new manufacture but other 50 caliber rifles are ok. There is a slightly shortened and imroved version of the 50 bmg that is not listed in the ban that is legal to own, shoot and to import into California.

Comment

• quadfather03

First off i had a dpms lower i picked up cheap and needed an upper, i found this upper in a gunshop and it was considerably cheaper than the 50's ive seen. After mating the 2 Ive decided to put an eotech or aimpoint on it instead of the scope and use it for close quarters hog hunting and home defense. Everyone around here has the 50 and im big on being different.
                      Last edited by Guest; 10-26-2011, 02:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jwilson1985 View Post
                        and nice rifles justin
                        I agree!

Comment

• jwilson1985

justin when your not busy we need to shoot before i have surgery,,,need to sight mine in after a cerakoted it and me and erik are gonna plat with buffer weights and springs to get the recoil on the beowulf reduced the goal is 75% nit that it bothers me but if we can get the recoil down that much rapid shots and follow ups awesome and easy

Comment

• quadfather03

Thanks guys for the comments. If you guys wanna experiement with the 450 on recoil id gladly offer up my rifle for experiments just as long as i get to keep the results after lol. Just text and we can work out a day shoot. My 200 yard range is open or we can call the gun ranch down the road and make arangments for there i heard he has 1000 yards.

Comment

Working...
                            X