• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Coty
    Unwashed
    • Sep 2015

Swimming in November

It's been a pretty good year for me so far. I've hunted 3 weekends and have 4 deer and a hog, all with the Grendel. I had one really odd one. I shot a doe at 157 yards while she was standing by a pond. She ran into the pond, swam half way across and then sank out of sight. It was late in the day so I grabbed my gear and went down to the pond to figure things out. For 15 minutes she was completely gone. Finally, she floated up a bit and I could see her just below the surface. I was afraid to leave and get a rope or something, thinking she would sink again and be gone. I found the longest stick I could find, unloaded my pockets and went in. Thankfully, I could reach her when I was waist deep. Didn't think I would need a boat for deer hunting.

The next morning I shot this 6. He was a big bodied deer, but just a 6. My Grendel is in this photo.
    Attached Files
  • Kilco
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2016

Wow very glad you were able to recover her! Doe are especially delicious. Damn fine buck by the way too.

Comment

• Fredman
      Warrior
      • Sep 2014

Wow! 4 deer in 3 weekends? What's for dinner?

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

Congrats.

When I lived in Maine, riding out to the islands regularly, I saw these weird animals speeding through the water like they belonged there. Turned out to be deer breaking contact from islands where hunters were taking shots.

They are one of the fastest mammals I've ever seen in the water-truly impressive swimmers.
        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Les
          Warrior
          • Oct 2016

Had a buck do that to me one time to get away, damndest thing I'd seen up till then. Looked like he was born there.
          Nebraska Firearms Owners Association. https://nebraskafirearms.org/wp/

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
            Administrator
            • Feb 2011

Wow! Cool.
            :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• bwaites
              • Mar 2011

Like this guy? https://youtu.be/zkrLn1WxF5Q

Comment

• Les
                Warrior
                • Oct 2016

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
                lol, very similar but without music.
                Nebraska Firearms Owners Association. https://nebraskafirearms.org/wp/

Comment

• explorecaves
                  Warrior
                  • Sep 2014

My dad had a similar experience with his first buck he got pistol hunting (.454 Casull). Not a perfect placement of the shot and went for a swim in the nearby pond. He stripped down and pulled the buck closer to shore so he could finish him off. As soon as the feet touched ground again it swam back out. Ended up the first shot was a lung shot and the buck ended up drowning. My dad got to go for another swim to drag the guy out of the water.

Comment

• Roe
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2014

Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Working...
                    X