• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Redomen
    Warrior
    • Jun 2016

Upper reciever and compensators

Howdy Horde. I was wondering how the forged uppers compare between PF and Aero Precision. They are about the same price wise. I am also looking for a few good compensators. I need one for my 16" group buy and one for the 18" when it arrives. The 16" is a combo hunting/SHTF piece and the 18" will be strictly a hunting rifle.
  • Texas
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2016

I bought two aero receivers and the parts kits fit perfectly.

Most of the manufacturers use the same base forging, and with today's CNC machines, the tolerances are pretty much the same. Our machine produced eight lowers in 102 minutes.

Comment

• Retro
      Warrior
      • Jul 2016

Aero uses the same foundry as Anderson. They both come out of the Cerro foundry

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

PF forged uppers fit very tight in my experience.
        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• din
          Warrior
          • Feb 2015

Originally posted by Retro View Post
          Aero uses the same foundry as Anderson. They both come out of the Cerro foundry
          Yes, but they aren't finished to the same specifications. Cerro only produces the forgings, the machine work is done by someone else. I haven't heard of any issues with AP lowers, but I've heard of numerous problems with Anderson lowers.

That said, buy from PF.

Comment

• CrisAnderson27
            Bloodstained
            • Sep 2016

I've built 5 guns with Anderson lowers, all from different suppliers. Never had a single issue.

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

I built a custom AR for a friend's daughter with an Anderson lower.

The pistol grip screw threaded channel was too short for a standard grip screw, so I had to use a Magpul short grip screw. Easy fix, but something I've not seen before having built untold guns since the 1990s.
              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Djamiller
                Bloodstained
                • Jul 2016

Can't comment on anything else because I've never used anything else but I can tell you my aero has been good to go, didn't even require any lapping on the face to be true.

Comment

• Slappy
                  Warrior
                  • Feb 2014

Both Aero and PF are great products and have never had a problem with either one of them. Aero does offer them in different colors now. Mark can also Cerakote them for you too. BANG BANG!!

The other day you just missed a new brake just for Grendels from Odin!! PF has good brakes too. AR Performance makes a good muzzle device also. BANG BANG!!

Comment

• Retro
                    Warrior
                    • Jul 2016

Very true. I've only used the Anderson 80% lowers and I do the machining on a Bridgeport milling machine. If there is any problem (which there isn't) I only have myself to blame. I've done four of them and haven't had any problems. As far as the grip screw Anderson only threads 3/4" into the lower. Before I assemble one of their receivers I run a 1/4 X 28 tap thru the receiver and there is no problems with it.

Comment

• just_john
                      Chieftain
                      • Sep 2012

With many AR builds behind me, have had to re-tap the grip hole several times with no singular vendor being the sole culprit ( frequently put a set screw there to take out some of the M/S trigger creep ). This is an equal opportunity short-coming among vendors.

Comment

Working...
                      X