What's Your Favorite Load Development Methodology?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Harpoon1
    Chieftain
    • Dec 2017

Is it where 2 or 3 charges has roughly the same fps ?
    Correct.

One version of that method. https://youtu.be/ZVqXLqNk-9E
    Last edited by Harpoon1; 09-24-2021, 02:11 PM.

Comment

• Oso Polaris
      Warrior
      • Apr 2019

Jack Neary (Competition Benchrest Shooter who has been part of Team Lapua and Team Vihtavuori). He did a discussion on Load Development (series of short videos ranging from 5min-10 minutes long) that covers various aspects. Yes, it is geared toward competitive shooters, but there is some great advise on brass prep, seating depth, etc. They are worth watching.

Comment

• Lemonaid
        Warrior
        • Feb 2019

I am mentioning this method with some caveats. Mostly bolt actions, and just for getting small groups at 100 yards and it is still in a work in progress.
        When doing load development for a new bullet powder combo I measure to see where the bullet hits the lands and subtract .020 for seating depth.
        Using published load data, I start a bit below midway for the starting load and go from there in .3 grain steps to about .5 grains below max, 3 or 5 rounds each. It usually generates about 5 or 6 different loads.
        Testing the loads at 100 yards usually finds two loads that are very accurate. I'll then load 10 rounds of those best two loads and see how they do to find the best of the best (sometimes is almost a tie.)
        This has worked great for .308 Win, two different .223's and my fast twist 6PPC. The one time it didn't seem to work at all was with the 6 ARC, Lever and an old box of 90 grain flat base Speer bullets in an AR platform.
        Unknown how this method does for SD's or longer ranges. Unknown if a different starting seating depth works well.

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

Pre-2020:Post-2020: "Finally scored some primers from a scalper with my Biden-su bucks. Down to the last keg of powder, just gonna load as many rounds as possible with the tips I have and seal them in a container. Does the rifle go bang when I pull the trigger and the bullet exit the muzzle? Good enough."
          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Dt219
            Warrior
            • Nov 2020

Haha love it LR

Comment

• Zeneffect
              Chieftain
              • May 2020

now i want a labradar for that dual velocity check arrangement.

deprime, clean, lube, resize, clean, deburr/chamfer, anneal, primer, powder, bullets. If looking at AMP's data the resizing does considerable work hardening. I'd like to relieve that stress prior to firing as that will introduce its own. Without the floating die system and astronomical alignment + favorable solar winds I feel this is the best time for it.

run .3 grains up from what I determined safe based on 3 published references. If none exists, go by quickload only and best guess based on burn rate + projectile weight and start low.

shoot at "sighter" grid targets so I always have a 1" reference at all times, measure 5 rounds over magnetospeed to see what sucks and what doesnt. retest with 20 rounds of best node and tune from there. If groups look interesting at 100 yards, move to 300 yards and repeat test with 20 shots of same charge, but testing seating depths (4x 5 shot groups.)

determine best group and reload 20x more of same. re-test for velocity, sd, es, group. if all good, write it down, load a few and put it away. move onto next projectile.

Though joking there is a bit of truth in what LR said. For me, its hard to keep a stock of any one type of projectile as I cant seem to get my hands on any more than 200 or so at a time, and usually its stuff ive never tried before.
              Last edited by Zeneffect; 10-01-2021, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X