• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ahillock
    Warrior
    • Jan 2016

Talk to me about SBR 6.5 Grendel setups

Anyone on here have extensive history with a 6.5 Grendel SBR? What length would you recommend? Any advice on things to do or not to do?

My current Grendel is a 16" build. Looking into doing a future SBR build.
  • ahillock
    Warrior
    • Jan 2016

Also I know about the not using a lower previously registered as a long gun and to use a fresh virgin lower for the build. I plan to go the AR pistol route and then submit tax stamp paper work to get the rear stock approved.

Thread is more about getting ideas and advice for a short barrel setup.
    Last edited by ahillock; 11-25-2016, 05:23 AM.

Comment

• Texas
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2016

We have had the best success with 11-12 inch barrels in 6.5 Grendel and 5.56X45.

Comment

• ahillock
        Warrior
        • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Texas View Post
        We have had the best success with 11-12 inch barrels in 6.5 Grendel and 5.56X45.
        Any barrel manufacturers in particular?

Comment

• Texas
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2016

I have been using primarily Sabre Defence barrels in 6.5 Grendel which can still be picked up reasonably. You may want to consider the 12" group buy now available through this group, the experience with the other length barrels has been excellent from the reports.

Comment

• ahillock
            Warrior
            • Jan 2016

I'll need to consider that Faxon group buy. I had heard Ballistic Advantage was going to get into 6.5 Grendel barrels and was considering waiting to see what they put out. But maybe the group buy is the route to consider.

Comment

• cory
              Chieftain
              • Jun 2012

You can't go wrong with the Lilja 11.5" or 12.5".

My Lilja 11.5"
              "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• LRRPF52
                Super Moderator
                • Sep 2014

It's the most potent combination you can have in a compact AR15, with expansion out at distance for hunting, low recoil, and ease of maneuver.

10.5" gives you expansion out to 260yds with the 123gr SST, and 700yds with the 129gr ABLR, which is more than twice the distance you would engage medium game at in most cases.

The 10.5" 6.5 Grendel with 129gr ABLR maintains 900ft-lbs of energy out to just over 275yds, and 800ft-lbs to almost 375yds if you care about ft-lbs.

11.5" with a 129gr ABLR gives you:

100yds 2066fps 1223ft-lbs
                200yds 1928fps 1065ft-lbs
                300yds 1796fps 924ft-lbs
                400yds 1671fps 800ft-lbs

12.5" 129gr ABLR
                425yds 1674fps 802ft-lbs

123gr SST at 2320fps mv
                300yds 1816fps 900ft-lbs
                375yds 1702fps 791ft-lbs

Just for reference using a 20" barreled .30-30 with a 150gr RN Hornady:

175yds 1599fps 852ft-lbs
                200yds 1515fps 764ft-lbs
                Last edited by LRRPF52; 11-26-2016, 04:31 PM.
                NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• ahillock
                  Warrior
                  • Jan 2016

Thanks LRRPF52. That is some nice data. I'm considering the group buy for the 12" just for entry cost + support forum group buy + to try and see if I like the short length. 12" seems like a decent length to start with. Can always cut it down or get another barrel one day.

Comment

• ahillock
                    Warrior
                    • Jan 2016

Originally posted by cory View Post
                    You can't go wrong with the Lilja 11.5" or 12.5".

My Lilja 11.5"
                    Beautiful. Any idea what the weight is?

Suppressors work ok with standard Grendel rounds?

Comment

• Jakal
                      Warrior
                      • May 2014

This thread fit the best for my post, not trying to hi-jack the thread. It's more about the load development and the results with a short barrel.

Gun:

12.5 Lilja Barrel + Heartbreaker Comp
                      Geissele SSAE trigger
                      LaRue Mount
                      Ziess 3-9x50 Conquest
                      Seekins lightweight rail
                      Seekins Billet upper
                      Seekins Low-profile adjustable gas block
                      The Jack billet lower by Spikes
                      Thordsen MFA Saddle cheek assist
                      BCG Gunfighter Mod4 Charging handle
                      CrossTac sling
                      Houge Overmolded Pistol grip

]

The Load:

129grain Nosler AccuBond Long Range
                      27.0 grains of XBR8208
                      CCI450
                      Hornady case
                      COAL: 2.26
                      2160 fps

The Results:

2 big Does in 2 days, only pics of first doe as second doe was a repeat of first doe, only difference; exit wound on second deer blew out its other shoulder and still exited.

150 yards from stand
                      slight 1/4 towards me shot
                      went in under right front armpit, blew out a rib, made a mess of everything inside
                      exit mid section before diaphragm after blowing out another rib.
                      exit hole about 1-1/2 inches wide
                      she ran on pure adrenaline maybe 50 yards, crashed and piled up.

Pros; Everything about this gun is great, small profile, lightweight, very accurate and the load is devastating.

****Thanks LRRPF52 for the heads up on the 129 Nosler!, haven't had a coyote come thru yet but can imagine they won't get far with this!*****

Cons: Need hunting hearing protection for left ear as the "EAR-SLAP" is pretty bad. Had enough time to insert a formable ear plug before the shots.
                      Last edited by Jakal; 07-31-2017, 05:20 PM.
                      ""Come taste my Shillelagh you goat-eatin bastard!""

Comment

• Beerswimmer
                        Warrior
                        • Dec 2015

Nice Jakal!! I paid for one of the 12" Faxon barrels in the group buy. Mine will be a pistol with a Shockwave brace.

Next spring/summer I'll be filling out forms for SBR and a suppressor once I'm done moving.
                        UT ALII VIVANT !!!

Comment

• Chrazy-Chris
                          Warrior
                          • Aug 2015

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                          It's the most potent combination you can have in a compact AR15, with expansion out at distance for hunting, low recoil, and ease of maneuver.

10.5" gives you expansion out to 260yds with the 123gr SST, and 700yds with the 129gr ABLR, which is more than twice the distance you would engage medium game at in most cases.

The 10.5" 6.5 Grendel with 129gr ABLR maintains 900ft-lbs of energy out to just over 275yds, and 800ft-lbs to almost 375yds if you care about ft-lbs.

11.5" with a 129gr ABLR gives you:

100yds 2066fps 1223ft-lbs
                          200yds 1928fps 1065ft-lbs
                          300yds 1796fps 924ft-lbs
                          400yds 1671fps 800ft-lbs

12.5" 129gr ABLR
                          425yds 1674fps 802ft-lbs

123gr SST at 2320fps mv
                          300yds 1816fps 900ft-lbs
                          375yds 1702fps 791ft-lbs

Just for reference using a 20" barreled .30-30 with a 150gr RN Hornady:

175yds 1599fps 852ft-lbs
                          200yds 1515fps 764ft-lbs
                          What makes the ABLR better at 400yrds than the SST? From what I can figure, the SST will have a higher velocity and more energy. I assume this is because the ABLR claims to expand better at lower velocities? I'd like to see a side by side comparison with ABLR vs SST at 1600 fps or so.

On a different note - question to the OP: Why have such a long muzzle device if a short barrel is what you're after? Not knocking your choice, just generally curious. It seems like that length would be better suited with a few more inches of barrel to add some max effective range to your rig. Judging by your shooting on that doe, reducing recoil for followup shots isn't really necessary I'm assuming that brake certainly isn't helping the "ear slap" mentioned.
                          Last edited by Chrazy-Chris; 11-29-2016, 01:44 AM.

Comment

• Jakal
                            Warrior
                            • May 2014

Chris,

I am not the OP but have the post on top of page 2. I originally had a Lilja thread-protector on the muzzle and not the comp. I changed it out due to follow up shots as you mentioned. And you are right it does not help any on the Ear-Slap. I may change back out to the thread protector. But the gun is running great right now and if I change back out, I may have to rework my load. Also, it helps that I can lay the gun across my shooting rail without it dropping thru! Going from 26-20 inch barrels, I don't notice the extra 2.5 inches.

Hornady suggest a minimum impact opening velocity of 1800 fps for the 123 SST BC of .510. The Nosler 129grain ABLR BC of .561 will open down to 1300 fps. That helps with the distance you can take game. I wanted this gun for deer and coyotes. Had 4 coyotes run out in about 30 minute span last year and wasn't set up to take them (using a 458 SOCOM last year). That has all been rectified!
                            ""Come taste my Shillelagh you goat-eatin bastard!""

Comment

• LRRPF52
                              Super Moderator
                              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Chrazy-Chris View Post
                              What makes the ABLR better at 400yrds than the SST? From what I can figure, the SST will have a higher velocity and more energy. I assume this is because the ABLR claims to expand better at lower velocities? I'd like to see a side by side comparison with ABLR vs SST at 1600 fps or so.

On a different note - question to the OP: Why have such a long muzzle device if a short barrel is what you're after? Not knocking your choice, just generally curious. It seems like that length would be better suited with a few more inches of barrel to add some max effective range to your rig. Judging by your shooting on that doe, reducing recoil for followup shots isn't really necessary I'm assuming that brake certainly isn't helping the "ear slap" mentioned.
                              ABLR has a .553 G1 BC (Litz), compared to the SST's .462 G1. ABLR expands fully as soon as it enters, and has the longer expansion threshold down to 1300fps, making it an excellent choice for an SBR. The BC and weight help it retain energy better than most other hunting bullet choices for the 6.5 Grendel.
                              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                              X