• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hartj17
    Unwashed
    • Aug 2014

Texas Hunting

My 12 and 13 year olds have finally decided they want to give hunting a go. They have all been through the hunter safety course, and have had multiple times out at the range. They have always said they are not interested in hunting until now.

My question for you guys here in Texas is where is the best place to look for hunts? They really don't care what we hunt, but I'm thinking something other than birds. Thoughts?
  • Les
    Warrior
    • Oct 2016

Originally posted by hartj17 View Post
    My 12 and 13 year olds have finally decided they want to give hunting a go. They have all been through the hunter safety course, and have had multiple times out at the range. They have always said they are not interested in hunting until now.

My question for you guys here in Texas is where is the best place to look for hunts? They really don't care what we hunt, but I'm thinking something other than birds. Thoughts?
    I believe a little more info might be required. Thats kinda like asking what car is the best to buy. But I'm not in your state.
    Nebraska Firearms Owners Association. https://nebraskafirearms.org/wp/

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
      Chieftain
      • Sep 2013

I would suggest going over to Texas Hunting Forum to the outfitters section and find a guide or hunting ranch near you.
      The original Texas Hunting Forum - discuss deer, quail, duck, goose, turkey, hog and everything else we hunt in Texas, buy and sell in the classifieds or just shoot the bull with like minded folks!

All things considered, hogs might be the best option for hunting. You can go somewhere that will put you in a stand over a feeder and you and your kids could shoot some pigs. Targets may be larger in size or bigger in numbers and give you better opportunities. Plus, there will be no Bambi-factor as might come from killing a first deer.
      Kill a hog. Save the planet.
      My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• kmon
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2015

Agree with DNS, also look at the exotic hunting forum on that site.

Another option is the Texas Youth Hunting Program. There are still some deer and hog hunts listed in which the signup deadline is in the future. http://tyhp.alamark.com/youth-hunter...hunt-schedule/

TYHP would most likely be the lowest cost route to go on and is available for youth 9-17 years of age, check it out. The turkey hunt I help with each year is already listed March 17 to 19 on the John Boerschig ranch.

Comment

• RicosRevenge
          Warrior
          • Jan 2016

Hunting birds can be a lot of fun for kids... but with 2 brand new hunters; I am with you on finding something different that is not so time intensive on you as the guardian.

The TYHP is a great opportunity that is starting to die off a little unfortunately as less young people are hunting.

I would Google "Central Texas Hog Hunting," look at the ranches offering hunts anywhere from $200-$2,000 per gun and start making phone calls. Usually when you call a ranch you are going to talk to the owner or a guide. Unless you roll with bank "like that" I would explain your situation and ask if they can help you out. You may find someone that wants to help you out simply because it adds to their future client prospects.

Comment

• Slappy
            Warrior
            • Feb 2014

From San Anton up towards you there are many places that have 1, 2 and 3 days hunts. As stated (Tx Hunting Forum) from above I did see a place that offers a goat, hog and a doe and it seemed like a resonable price. There are many options and prices ranges. Good luck and hope the kiddos whack something!! BANG BANG!!

Comment

• hartj17
              Unwashed
              • Aug 2014

Thank youfor the replies guys!!!

Comment

Working...
              X