• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 1075 tech
    Warrior
    • Apr 2015

First Grendel deer x2

Took 2 whitetail doe this morning. Shots were about 15 seconds apart.

First was the larger one, frontal shot through chest at maybe 30 yards. Left lung was liquified. No exit. No bullet recovery.

Second shot on smaller doe entered left side just behind shoulder. Same distance. Punched a fist sized hole through ribs, penetrated the heart and both lungs. Again, lungs were liquified. No exit. Found small piece of lead just under the skin below the stomach.

Both shots were 123SST factory loads. Barrel is 16" AA.PART_1480274927888_KIMG0217.jpg
  • Kilco
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2016

Hell yeah that is some awesome shooting! Obviously your hunt speaks for itself, but how are you liking that particular Barrel?

Comment

• 1075 tech
      Warrior
      • Apr 2015

As my first Grendel build, I don't really have anything to compare the barrel to. As for the Grendel over all, I can say that I don't think I would have gotten that second shot with my 308 bolt gun.

Effect_20161031_213305.jpg This 5 shot group (I pulled the flyer) with 123 SST.

NCM_0024.jpg This 10 shot group with 120MPT Wolf Gold.

As a hunting build, I'm happy with the performance.

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

Congrats on meat in the freezer!
        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• 1075 tech
          Warrior
          • Apr 2015

Thanks. The Grendel will be going back out the next 2 weekends. My daughter still has two doe tags and we both still have our buck/bear tag. I have room for 1 maybe 1 1/2 more deer in the freezer. If we get any more than that, they will be donated (several processors belong to the Venison Donation Project that accept donations of extra venison for distribution to shelters, food pantries, etc).

I need to work on better shot placement, going for head/neck shots, rather than the traditional behind the shoulder shot, if I'm going to continue using the SST. It worked well on the larger doe, but the smaller one suffered an incredible amount of damage to the ribs and shoulder.

Comment

• Slappy
            Warrior
            • Feb 2014

Nice going! Backstraps and tenders=Good eats!! BANG BANG!!

Comment

Working...
            X