Howa Mini Action 6.5 Grendel, Extra Magazines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wganz
    Bloodstained
    • Apr 2015

The LGS is closed today but I'll stop by on the way home tomorrow and check how many rounds can be loaded in a magazine.

Comment

• Matt @ LSI
      Warrior
      • Nov 2015

Originally posted by wganz View Post
      The LGS is closed today but I'll stop by on the way home tomorrow and check how many rounds can be loaded in a magazine.
      i assure all of you that the 6.5 grendel mini actions as well as the 7.62x39 mini actions only come with a 5 rd magazine.
      Howa has only ever manufactured the one magazine body size that accomodates 10 .223 sized brass and 5 grendel or 7.62x39 brass.
      when we made the catalog, we had not yet received the grendel or 7.62x39 rifles.
      anyone stating that they can put 10 rds in the grendel magazine is simply wrong, 10 rd magazines simply do not exist.

i apologize for the confusion on this, ive tried to make it very clear as to what they actually hold.

Comment

• kymountainman
        Bloodstained
        • Nov 2016

Originally posted by Matt @ LSI View Post
        i assure all of you that the 6.5 grendel mini actions as well as the 7.62x39 mini actions only come with a 5 rd magazine.
        Howa has only ever manufactured the one magazine body size that accomodates 10 .223 sized brass and 5 grendel or 7.62x39 brass.
        when we made the catalog, we had not yet received the grendel or 7.62x39 rifles.
        anyone stating that they can put 10 rds in the grendel magazine is simply wrong, 10 rd magazines simply do not exist.

i apologize for the confusion on this, ive tried to make it very clear as to what they actually hold.
        I see what you're saying Matt@LSI.

However, I was in contact with Brett today, and he has since dropped the conversation. It started out as a "sorry there's nothing I can do, but I will sell you a second magazine at a discounted price" email. After informing him that I am a seasoned Outdoor Writer and a member with POMA ... he dropped the conversation and hasn't responded. I'll keep you abreast on how this pans out.

Comment

• adamjp
          Warrior
          • Oct 2014

Originally posted by Matt @ LSI View Post

You have made is extremely clear, as have others who received these rifles early on. You cannot help it if people do not read anything but their own posts.

Comment

• Stevil
            Banned
            • Dec 2015

whilst on the topic of magazines, I had both my 223 HB 20 inch and 6.5 Grendel 22 inch Sporter out as Im sanding the barrel channel out to fit so that the HB fits the sporter stock.

anyway comparing the internals of mags I decided to put the 223 mag follower in the Grendel mag, capacity jumped from 5 to 6 rounds, all bullets feed and functioned as normal.

Comment

• kymountainman
              Bloodstained
              • Nov 2016

Originally posted by adamjp View Post
              You have made is extremely clear, as have others who received these rifles early on. You cannot help it if people do not read anything but their own posts.
              I'm not trying to be a prick, but am I the only person having a "Duh" moment here?!?

My point is ... you can't expect everyone who owns a Howa Mini in 6.5 Grendel to join this forum to read his posts! Setting aside the fact that it took me over 6 months to get admitted into the forum, and even guys on the 6.5 Grendel Facebook Group stating that admins are slow to respond .... I jumped through hoops and finally got admitted with the help of an admin.

Beside that fact .... you can't expect a few comments by 1 person on a forum to be seen by people prior to purchasing the Howa Mini Action in 6.5 Grendel! I'm sorry, but that just won't hold up. They need to change the literature and tell every youtube reviewer to amend their videos.

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
                Chieftain
                • May 2012

any youtube reviewer or tester or magazine should certainly be able to count so that should have never been an issue, the catalog should certinly be updated

im not huge on the detachable mag at 5 or 10 rounds especialy given it is proprietary i would much prefer a bdl style magazine as seen in the rest of the line
                Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• kymountainman
                  Bloodstained
                  • Nov 2016

Originally posted by mongoosesnipe View Post
                  any youtube reviewer or tester or magazine should certainly be able to count so that should have never been an issue, the catalog should certinly be updated

im not huge on the detachable mag at 5 or 10 rounds especialy given it is proprietary i would much prefer a bdl style magazine as seen in the rest of the line
                  I could handle the 10 round detachable mag, but the 5 round is what gets me. I can understand if that's what they're limited to ... that's fine. I've already bought the rifle, so I have to live with it.

I just hope anyone, Pro Mag ... CProducts ....anyone, will come out with a secondary mag and not run into an issue like what I have with my SCAR17s. FNH didn't say anywhere on their literature that the SCAR17s has a proprietary magazine and is a completely different lower receiver than their Military offering. I bought one thinking I could just use my AR10 mags in it and got hit with a $50 bill everytime I purchased a FN Mag. That prompted me to spend another $300 on an aftermarket lower reciever that accepts AR10 mags.

I have a feeling AI or someone else will come out with a bottom metal solution to this Howa Mini magazine issue.

Comment

• hikfromstik
                    Warrior
                    • Oct 2016

Maybe in the near future we'll see pacific tool and gauge trigger gaurd/ mag inlet with AICS mags in the mini. These guns are hot at the moment. ShotShow is near and I'm sure we'll see more goodies for the mini and the world of grendel. Brownells just sent out their catalog and the Howa mini with LSS chassis was the featured front page story.

Comment

• adamjp
                      Warrior
                      • Oct 2014

Originally posted by kymountainman View Post
                      ...you can't expect a few comments by 1 person on a forum to be seen by people prior to purchasing the Howa Mini Action in 6.5 Grendel! I'm sorry, but that just won't hold up. They need to change the literature...
                      Yes they do. They should have issued a new one when they found the error.

Perhaps LSI would care to issue their 2017 catalogue early in order to fix the misinformation?

Comment

• Matt @ LSI
                        Warrior
                        • Nov 2015

Originally posted by adamjp View Post
                        Yes they do. They should have issued a new one when they found the error.

Perhaps LSI would care to issue their 2017 catalogue early in order to fix the misinformation?
                        when i have the completed catalog i will post it. currently finalizing it.

Comment

• 85_Ranger4x4
                          Warrior
                          • Nov 2016

Originally posted by kymountainman View Post
                          I wouldn't have bought this model had I known it only had a 5 round mag with it! That kind of defeats the purpose of having a magazine fed rifle!
                          You are coming from a different angle but to me the perk of a detachable mag in a bolt action rifle is you don't have to dump all the rounds out of the rifle when you leave to go get lunch/go home/jump a fence...

Just pop the mag out, cycle the one out of the chamber and you are empty.

As a shotgun deer hunter (have to cycle them thru the gun to unload it) digging rounds out of the snow/grass/weeds in the dark gets old pretty fast when you are already cold and want to go home.

Comment

• kymountainman
                            Bloodstained
                            • Nov 2016

Originally posted by 85_Ranger4x4 View Post
                            You are coming from a different angle but to me the perk of a detachable mag in a bolt action rifle is you don't have to dump all the rounds out of the rifle when you leave to go get lunch/go home/jump a fence...

Just pop the mag out, cycle the one out of the chamber and you are empty.

As a shotgun deer hunter (have to cycle them thru the gun to unload it) digging rounds out of the snow/grass/weeds in the dark gets old pretty fast when you are already cold and want to go home.
                            I come from 'Deep Woods Hill Country' here in Kentucky, and I have lost more than one small magazine on a hunting trip. Try going 6 miles into the 'Backwoods' for a day of Squirrel hunting ... only to find out that you dropped your spare Marlin .22 magazine back at the truck when you got out that morning.

Granted, 5 round magazines are fine for guys who have a "5 round limit" during hunting season, but here in Kentucky it is a 10 round limit.

Comment

• jason miller
                              Warrior
                              • Dec 2016

Just picked up a Mini in Grendel. It's my second Mini. I would have rather had a blind magazine or a flush floorplate- especially in the Grendel since it only holds 5 rounds. I'm hoping an option becomes available for either a floorplate or a more compact magazine. And anything that would allow a little longer COAL would really take the cake.

Comment

Working...
                              X