• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

New Faxon Group Buy Build.

I decided to take advantage of the Black Friday sales to purchase the rest of the parts to assemble my 16" Faxon QpQ 6.5 Grendel. My goal for this build is a light weight inexpensive carbine. The carbine empty weight is 6.4 pounds with two Keymod rails attached with no optic or magazine. Total cost is right at $880.00 and here is a list of the Parts I used.

Anderson stripped lower
    Geissele G2S trigger group
    CMC lower parts kit
    DS Arms 6 position A-2 stock carbine buffer and spring
    A-2 pistol grip

Anderson stripped upper
    Brownell's forward assist and port cover.
    Rousch Sports ULS1 V2M2 Keymod Free Float HandGuard Forend 10 Inch
    Faxon 16" QpQ 6.5 Grendel barrel.
    Precision Firearms bolt and carrier group.
    Black Rain Ordinance gas block.
    Mid length gas tube
    A-2 Flash Hider.

I finished assembling the upper yesterday evening and shot 25 rounds through it today. A Friend used his lapping tool to face the front of the upper receiver. The barrel fit into the receiver without effort and was bedded with Permatex blue medium strength thread locker. The hand guard required all three supplied shims to properly align the hand guard.

The rifle functioned 100% with 20 rounds of Factory Hornady 123 grain A-Max and five rounds of Wolf 120 grain MPT. The barrel's accuracy seemed to improve the more I shot it. The wind was gusting from 10-18 MPH and it was approximately 40 degrees. Ejection was at 3 to 4 O'clock and very consistent. I used an old Tasco 2.5-10X44 scope in a RRA one piece mount to test the rifle. The rifle required no windage adjustment and very little elevation adjustment from where it was sighted in on my Tavor.

I'll eventually purchase a new scope and mount for the Faxon 6.5 Grendel. I'm still undecided on which scope to use but I'm considering either a 2.5-10 or 4-16 Vortex.

Here are a couple of pictures of my 16" Faxon build, I know I'm old school, I still like black.

This picture is of one of my first targets. There are two three shot groups. The first group had a flier that went low. The three circled bullet holes was a three shot group.

This five shot group had a flier on the second shot and was the furthest bullet hole to the right. The first shot was the furthest bullet hole to the left. My next shot was next to the far left shot. The last two were right next to each other. The wind was gusting from four O'Clock but I had a couple of definite fliers today which I attribute to be a new unseasoned barrel.

Last edited by VASCAR2; 12-03-2016, 01:12 AM.
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

This last target is a five shot group of factory Wolf 120 grain MPT. The rifle will be a good shooter but conditions made it difficult for me to shoot to the rifles potential today. Each of these targets were shot at 100 yards off a bipod with rear bag on a wobbly bench.

Last edited by VASCAR2; 12-03-2016, 01:11 AM.

Comment

• Slappy
      Warrior
      • Feb 2014

Nice!! That will do! BANG BANG!!

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

Nice work. Did you use a rear bag when shooting?
        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

I actually had a bag under the pistol grip. I was shooting in a corn field at my house in a very open area. I was catching a lot of wind and wasn't very stable. To be honest I wanted to do a function check on reliability over an accuracy test. I tried to load some hand loaded 107 grain SMK's which wouldn't chamber. This brass had been shot in my other 16" Grendel and I'm not sure if the shoulder wasn't pushed back enough to function with the Faxon barrel.

When I get time I'll compare my brass between what was shot in the Faxon barrel and my other 16" Grendel. Regardless I think I'm going to like this Faxon build.

Comment

• Redomen
            Warrior
            • Jun 2016

Very nice

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
              Administrator
              • Feb 2011

Great report! Thanks for taking the time to write it up and include photos.
              :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• diddlyv
                Warrior
                • Aug 2016

Nice, as an aside picked up a proto 29 inch crows foot from midway looks like it should work with the rousch sports handguards
                Queen of Battle
                Follow Me

Life NRA, DAV ,VFW, SASS

Comment

• VASCAR2
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by diddlyv View Post
                  Nice, as an aside picked up a proto 29 inch crows foot from midway looks like it should work with the rousch sports handguards
                  Thanks for your help diddlyv my upper went together with no issues. I used a 10" cresent wrench and I don't think a crows foot or longer bar was needed on my upper to get the barrel nut tight. I'm sure it was at least 30 foot pounds. Mine took all three shims like yours but I really like the design of this hand guard. It is very light and the diameter is just right for my hand. My hand guard has excellent workmanship and you can't beat the price. I ordered the hand guard, A-2 Flash hider which included the crush washer plus a charging handle and got free shipping.

I think I might order a short keymod rail just long enough for a tactical light.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

I put another 50 rounds through my new Faxon today. Here is a picture of my first five shot group with Wolf 120 grain MPT at 100 yards. Just a little less than one inch. Cold bore shot was in the black. The temperature was 44 degrees shooting into an 8-10 MPH wind.

Last edited by VASCAR2; 12-06-2016, 04:48 AM.

Comment

• sneaky one
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

Nice work Vascar. Like me, everytime I get out shooting- it's always windy. Same deal for many of us.

Real world hunting conditions we call it. Yeah, we could all upgrade our shooting rests.

If an inch group can be maintained in the wind- through the brush, branches= a deer!

Comment

• jim_bob
                        Warrior
                        • Jul 2014

Nice build and great shooting! Can't wait to get my 16" Faxon build together, seeing all of these great range reports.

Comment

Working...
                        X