• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • customcutter
    Warrior
    • Dec 2014

High Capacity Magazines in 1780's

I always hear that if the Founding Fathers had known about High Capacity Magazines they would have outlawed them. Well, the next time you hear that tell them to google the Lewis and Clark air rifle. It was designed in the 1780's by an Italian engineer for the Austrian army fighting Napoleons Armies. It was capable of holding 20-22 .46cal round balls and firing them accurately at 100yds in approx 2 minutes. Each rifle could fire 40 shots with a charged reservoir, and came with 2 extra reservoirs.

One of them was owned by a man who accompanied Lewis and Clark on their expedition to map the Northwest Territory, and Lewis used it to full advantage as you will see in the video.

• stanc
    Banned
    • Apr 2011

Challenge accepted.

I always hear that if the Founding Fathers had known about High Capacity Magazines they would have outlawed them. Well, the next time you hear that tell them to google the Lewis and Clark air rifle.
    The Founding Fathers held opposing views on a variety of issues, including gun laws. I wouldn't be at all surprised if some of them would've sought to restrict or ban weapons like the Girardoni air rifle.......if such guns had been repeatedly used to commit mass murder, killing large numbers of innocent men, women, and children as frequently as has occurred in recent decades.

Some interesting reading which shows how the "right to keep and bear" really was viewed back then:
    Gun Control Was the Rule in Colonial & Early America

In 1619, more than a century and a half before the American Revolution, the Virginia House of Burgesses passed a law making the transfer of guns to Native Americans punishable by death. Other laws across the colonies criminalized selling or giving firearms to slaves, indentured servants, Catholics, vagrants and those who refused to swear a loyalty oath to revolutionary forces. Guns could be confiscated or kept in central locations for the defense of the community. And in the late 1700s and early 1800s, states such as New Hampshire and Rhode Island conducted door-to-door arms censuses, acts which today would cause many gun-rights advocates to rise up in revolt and threaten armed retaliation but which were then considered both routine and necessary.

According to gun rights historian Clayton Cramer, concealed carry prohibitions were among the earliest types of gun control laws adopted in the years following the Revolution. The first such law was adopted in Kentucky and Louisiana in 1813, Indiana banned concealed carry in 1820, Tennessee and Virginia in 1838, Alabama in 1839, and Ohio in 1859.

https://riversong.wordpress.com/the-...ond-amendment/

Comment

• montana
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2011

Yup, there were low life people back then as today who believe in, slavery, repression, centralized authority and gun control. Luckily our founding fathers made it law that the right to own and bear arms is a Constitutional right. I still have not read any historical documents of any movement at that time period for banning the assault rifle of the 1800's the 16 shot Henry rifle. known as the rifle you loaded on Sunday and shoot all week long.

Comment

• stanc
        Banned
        • Apr 2011

Originally posted by montana View Post
        Yup, there were low life people back then as today who believe in, slavery, repression, centralized authority and gun control. Luckily our founding fathers made it law that the right to own and bear arms is a Constitutional right.
        Heh, heh. It amuses me when folks today talk about the Founding Fathers as if they were unanimous in their positions on issues. Actually, they were as divided then as politicians are today.

Many of the Founding Fathers were what you call "low life" people, who owned slaves, denied women the right to vote, condoned sex with children, wanted a powerful federal government, and considered the RKBA to be for collective (not individual) defense.

I still have not read any historical documents of any movement at that time period for banning the assault rifle of the 1800's the 16 shot Henry rifle.
        I'd say that's because there was not the epidemic of mass shootings like those of the last few decades. Change the timeline in http://timelines.latimes.com/deadlie...ting-rampages/ to the late-1800s, and the weapon types to Henry rifles, and the odds are that such bans would've been enacted.

Shoot, there were gun control laws even in towns of the Wild West, as shown by the sign on Front Street of Dodge City, 1878:

Comment

• customcutter
          Warrior
          • Dec 2014

Stan, didn't issue a challenge, sorry that you took it as such. Hope you have a blessed day!

Comment

• montana
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2011

Stan as much as I would love to get into another lively debate discussing mass shootings vs. democide, assault weapons of past and present , I'll pass since Gene may put out a contract on me if I get another thread locked
            Last edited by montana; 12-03-2016, 07:22 PM.

Comment

• stanc
              Banned
              • Apr 2011

Originally posted by customcutter View Post
              Stan, didn't issue a challenge, sorry that you took it as such.
              My "challenge accepted" remark was meant in jest, hence the next to it.

Comment

• stanc
                Banned
                • Apr 2011

Originally posted by montana View Post
                Stan as much as I would love to get into another lively debate discussing mass shootings vs. democide, assault weapons of past and present , I'll pass since Gene may put out a contract on me if I get another thread locked
                No problema, Tom. I only wanted to express my thoughts, not get into a debate about a hypothetical issue.

Comment

• rabiddawg
                  Chieftain
                  • Feb 2013

Originally posted by stanc View Post
                  No problema, Tom. I only wanted to express my thoughts, not get into a debate about a hypothetical issue.
                  Hmm. I guess there is a first time for everything.
                  Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• stanc
                    Banned
                    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by rabiddawg View Post
                    Hmm. I guess there is a first time for everything.

Comment

• rabiddawg
                      Chieftain
                      • Feb 2013

Lol
                      Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• The Profit Joseph Sith
                        Warrior
                        • Nov 2016

Originally posted by stanc View Post
                        My "challenge accepted" remark was meant in jest, hence the next to it.
                        Jester's united local 419 here representing! Dont make me sick my laughing hyena..

In all seriousness though, check out the Puckle gun on YT chnl forgotten weapons...

As well as the Guycot 40 shot "chain gun"

And the more well known volcano...

I know the Puckle was made around then not sure about the others. And this was about high cap. NOT high firepower so...yeah that Puckle is friggin' SWEET!!

No matter what i think they knew EXACTLY what they were doing. The East India spice co.. the war of independence and then basically repeated AGAIN in the War of 1812... If you ask me British people haven't even really changed much since then. African apartheid, to many examples.. I'm looking at you.. they are still hated for good reason.. i had a team lead at Boeing who was south african and i didnt know. I told a mutual friend he acted like he was from South Africa to which he Said... You know he was right? I LOL'd entitled pompous pricks...
                        AAND.. I'm not saying they are all bad one of the best managers I've EVER had also worked there and was fired for basically nothing just going against the grain snd being kick ass! Good gun loving dude too!
                        Last edited by The Profit Joseph Sith; 03-23-2017, 09:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X