• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 1075 tech
    Warrior
    • Apr 2015

123 SST performance (on deer). Need alternate bullet ideas

Mods, if you think this should be in ammunition/reloading section, feel free to move it.

First time ever hunting with the Grendel and first time ever using the Hornady SST. Took two doe. The bullet did its job as both deer dropped within 20-30 ft.

However, The small doe suffered an incredible amount of damage to the shoulder/ribs. The bullet entered the side just behind the shoulder. There was a small hole completely through the heart. Both lungs were liquified. There was no exit. A small piece of lead was found just under the hide below the stomach.

There was a hole through the ribs large enough to put my fist through and every rib was broken from the sternum.

Granted, this was a small doe ~60# shot at maybe 30yds. But the shoulder was so blown up that it and that side of ribs was basically wasted.

I guess my question is, what bullet to use to minimize meat damage?

I am using a 16" AA barrel. The majority of my hunting is within 100yds. I may, on occaission, have the opportunity to get out in excess of 300. I'm at about 300'ASL.

Would the copper solids such as the TTSX be a better choice or should I look at a typical cup and core non ballistic tip?
  • mdram
    Warrior
    • Sep 2016

any bullet can cause meat damage.
    its all about shot placement

i use anything from a 30-30 to a 300 wby.
    there are only 2 shot placements that minimize meat damage
    neck and head
    just some targets for printing
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...xQ?usp=sharing

Comment

• JASmith
      Chieftain
      • Sep 2014

I infer from the damage description that the range was short. Was there any indication you hit a bone?

Lead free bullets tend to not come apart the way you described for the SST.

As an example, the 100 gr TTSX will work very well as will any of the all copper 6.5 grain bullets. If you are not a reloader, Precision Firearms offers them in loaded ammo: https://secure.wf-api.com/www.precis...rnes-ttsx.html
      shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
      -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• thedudeabides
        Bloodstained
        • Jan 2016

Here are more options:

I use TTSX with great success; always get quarter size exits. I still lose more meat to excessive hemorrhaging than I do with a bow, but I don't have to worry about exploding bullets and lead fragments in my meat. SST and Amax are know to frag.
        Maybe soon, Hornady will offer a 6.5 Grendel GMX load
        18" .264 LBC BHW fluted barrel

Comment

• nuthead
          Warrior
          • Nov 2015

try a bonded bullet like an accubond or a monometal... the SSTs and Amaxs are soft
          Last edited by nuthead; 12-05-2016, 03:36 AM.

Comment

• 1075 tech
            Warrior
            • Apr 2015

Originally posted by mdram View Post
            any bullet can cause meat damage.
            its all about shot placement

i use anything from a 30-30 to a 300 wby.
            there are only 2 shot placements that minimize meat damage
            neck and head
            In hindsight, yes, I should have taken a head shot. However, I have shot plenty of deer using either 308 or 12ga slug at various ranges without this much damage.

Comment

• Kikn
              Warrior
              • Nov 2011

Originally posted by thedudeabides View Post
              Maybe soon, Hornady will offer a 6.5 Grendel GMX load
              A friend of mine shot an axis with his .260 remmingington.the bullet used was a factory load of the hornady GMX bullet. The bullet failed to open range was about 170 yards. He fired Additional shots to an animal to limit the suffering none of the rounds expanded. He had since tossed all remaining gmx rounds in the garbage.

I've had mixed feelings about using TTSX bullets on THIN skinned Game a well. although wound chanel is sever and massive blood is lost. Every deer I've shot with one has died but also ran a long way as well.

The thinking is that although the bullet has a specific amount of energy due to weight and speed. That energy is not being transferred to the animal and just punches a hole in it. Where as the cup and core and or bonded bullets will allow more energy transfer aka knock down power.

Comment

• WIshooter
                Unwashed
                • May 2016

Originally posted by 1075 tech View Post
                In hindsight, yes, I should have taken a head shot. However, I have shot plenty of deer using either 308 or 12ga slug at various ranges without this much damage.
                I have shot more deer than I can count with 12 ga slugs.
                The only time I had a deer get a 4 in hole and a rib blown out was a close range yearling.
                I'd say stick with the SSTs, sometimes things just get messy when you shoot a very small deer at close range and hit bone.

Comment

• 1075 tech
                  Warrior
                  • Apr 2015

Originally posted by JASmith View Post
                  I infer from the damage description that the range was short. Was there any indication you hit a bone?

]
                  Yeah. If I could run fast, I could've jumped it and stabbed it. Seriously though, she was maybe 30 yds. I missed the shoulder blade but probably hit a rib. Hard to tell since they were destroyed.

A few years ago, I shot a small buck at about 50 yds in the same spot (just behind shoulder) with 150gr 308 using a Remington Core-Lok. Complete pass through double lung/heart without any other damage. Entrance and exit holes were nearly the same size.

I appreciate all the replies. All in all, I should have taken the head/neck shot. This Grendel is so easy to shoot. Light, short, minimal recoil, and I can get 1/2" groups at 100 so it's plenty accurate enough.

Have one more weekend to try. Then it's bow/muzzleloader for the last weekend.

Comment

• sneaky one
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

1075, the lighter monos are the best option for the Grendel. My last years deer was taken with a 77 grn. GMX -21 yds. just under 3000 fps. Entered the shoulder muscle just behind.
                    Minimal meat damages. These don't Explode , like a std. cup core pill.

Hit spinal column 7 " behind the center of shoulder, fist sized hole, then down through heart lungs. 26" of penetration.. 280 lb. live wt. buck- built like Rambo.

Speed is key with a bullet almost strong as steel. NO lead in the crockpot !

Help me keep after Hornady for lighter pills.

Barnes are std. copper............ recycled plumbing pipes
                    Last edited by sneaky one; 12-05-2016, 11:52 PM.

Comment

• Slappy
                      Warrior
                      • Feb 2014

HEAD SHOTS!!! Nice going. ABNG BANG!!

Comment

• Rugerfan.64
                        Warrior
                        • May 2014

Sierra 120 gr Prohunter. Great bullets, in my experience they don't come apart at 2500-2600 fps. Penetrate completely , which aids in blood trailing. I don't like the plastic tipped bullets. They may shoot great, but for hunting they don't meet my expectations. Sierra Prohunters shoot very well for paper too.

Comment

• Cornbread
                          Warrior
                          • Dec 2015

the sst is a fragmenting bullet. The good is they don't run far. The bad is you need to keep it in the lungs away from the shoulders to avoid meat damage or shoot for the neck. Not a fan of the solid copper bullets. Just my .02. Really wish there were more factory loadingps from the big manufacturers in the grendel. If you reload the nosler partition is an awesome bullet.

Comment

• JASmith
                            Chieftain
                            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Cornbread View Post
                            the sst is a fragmenting bullet. The good is they don't run far. The bad is you need to keep it in the lungs away from the shoulders to avoid meat damage or shoot for the neck. Not a fan of the solid copper bullets. Just my .02. Really wish there were more factory loadingps from the big manufacturers in the grendel. If you reload the nosler partition is an awesome bullet.
                            Fragments? Under what conditions? The tests shown in Chapter 6 of the Grendel Reloading handbook suggest they expand nicely even at the highest Grendel impact velocities.

Aiming for the lungs gives an excellent chance for a long run. Might be better to aim for the top of the heart and accept some meat damage if a shoulder happens to be in the way.
                            shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
                            -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• 1075 tech
                              Warrior
                              • Apr 2015

Originally posted by JASmith View Post
                              Fragments? Under what conditions? The tests shown in Chapter 6 of the Grendel Reloading handbook suggest they expand nicely even at the highest Grendel impact velocities.

Aiming for the lungs gives an excellent chance for a long run. Might be better to aim for the top of the heart and accept some meat damage if a shoulder happens to be in the way.
                              Not so much fragmenting, but in both of the deer, the jacket and core experienced complete separation. I haven't had a chance to weigh the remnants.

PART_1481370567445_KIMG0223.jpg

This remnant of the jacket. Bullet entered at the base of throat, passed through left lung, traveled full length of deer and was recovered just below the hide on the top of the hindquarter.
                              Last edited by 1075 tech; 12-10-2016, 10:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X