Need Help selecting a barrel...............

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ahillock
    Warrior
    • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Christopher67 View Post
    Thanks!
    They are even trying to get the 16" group buy back up and running for another round. Will take some time to get 50 in again....

Comment

• Christopher67
      Warrior
      • May 2015

Originally posted by ahillock View Post
      They are even trying to get the 16" group buy back up and running for another round. Will take some time to get 50 in again....
      I would prefer the 16", but 18" wouldn't be bad either. Is there a chart that shows the differece between the 16, 18 & 20" barrels out to certain yardages? I'm going to be hunting whitetail & possibly coyotes.

Comment

• Cuppednlocked
        Bloodstained
        • Nov 2016

I believe there is data in the original 16" Group Buy thread. It's a few pages in and BFT was the poster.

Comment

• Cornbread
          Warrior
          • Dec 2015

Don't be scared away from the bhw barrel because of the type 1 bolt. As long as you have the right bolt for your barrel and headsoacing what does it matter? Also check out AR performance. He mainly does 6.8 but he has 6.5 G barrels in stock. Melanite 5r barrels that are plenty accurate( moa or less) and very reasonably priced. If money is not an issue Lilja has barrels in stock.They are pricey but they will shoot.

Comment

• Christopher67
            Warrior
            • May 2015

Originally posted by Cornbread View Post
            Don't be scared away from the bhw barrel because of the type 1 bolt. As long as you have the right bolt for your barrel and headsoacing what does it matter? Also check out AR performance. He mainly does 6.8 but he has 6.5 G barrels in stock. Melanite 5r barrels that are plenty accurate( moa or less) and very reasonably priced. If money is not an issue Lilja has barrels in stock.They are pricey but they will shoot.

AR performance, do you have a link? I just have a question, IF type 1 or type 2 doesn't matter so long as you're using the correct bolt with the correct barrels, then why bother with a SAAMI spec?

Comment

• Christopher67
              Warrior
              • May 2015

Originally posted by Cuppednlocked View Post
              I believe there is data in the original 16" Group Buy thread. It's a few pages in and BFT was the poster.
              Post #78? http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...l=1#post116959

Comment

• Cuppednlocked
                Bloodstained
                • Nov 2016

There is also some information posted by LRRPF52 from the reloading handbooks on arfcom. It was on the first page of the "variants" sub forum a few days ago.

Comment

• 85_Ranger4x4
                  Warrior
                  • Nov 2016

Nice thing about staying with SAAMI is if everyone did it the weird homebrew stuff would die out and make it less daunting for others to get into the caliber.

No idea where but somewhere in my research someone said there is a 50fps difference between a 16" and a 18".
                  Last edited by 85_Ranger4x4; 12-08-2016, 04:04 PM.

Comment

• Drillboss
                    Warrior
                    • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Christopher67 View Post
                    AR performance, do you have a link? I just have a question, IF type 1 or type 2 doesn't matter so long as you're using the correct bolt with the correct barrels, then why bother with a SAAMI spec?
                    The second post on this thread talks a little about the bolt difference.

I am looking to build my first Grendel and need suggestions/help. The local precision shooting shop is trying to dissuade me from the 6.5 Grendel because he says bolts are the weakest link. That they are just shaved out 5.56 bolts and that makes the head and extractor weak and prone to breakage (and this is not a dig on them,

Comment

• IceAxe
                      Warrior
                      • Jan 2014

I have a BHW 24 inch (264LBC), a PF 20 inch (SAAMI except for the Type 1 bolt) and a ARPERF 20 inch (not sure what Chamber) with his sinusoidal bolt and they all shoot sub MOA with factory Hornady.....so go figure. I am hoping to some day get a Faxon 20 inch (SAAMI) from the group buy, if people ever get off the fence.

Comment

• Frank45
                        Warrior
                        • Mar 2016

I had to wait more than I wanted for a Bartlein from PF. While it was excruciating it was worth it. Top notch. If only Mark sold big bore barrels I wouldn'the buy from anyone else, just order early in the build.

Comment

• 1911man
                          Warrior
                          • May 2015

Did OP ever decide on a barrel?

Comment

• Mike Wood
                            Bloodstained
                            • Nov 2016

I guess I got lucky. Called Satern two weeks back asking about a price on a 20" cut rifle barrel in a medium profile. They had one on the shelf...two days later I had it in my hands.

Comment

• PrecisionFirearms
                              Warrior
                              • Apr 2011

Originally posted by keystone183 View Post
                              Just as an fyi......I am on week 27 waiting on my PF criterion. It is to be nitrided, so that adds a bit of time....but yeah.
                              Email me!
                              "Precision - The Pinnacle of Perfection."

Comment

• Niles Coyote
                                Bloodstained
                                • Jun 2016

Originally posted by keystone183 View Post
                                Just as an fyi......I am on week 27 waiting on my PF criterion. It is to be nitrided, so that adds a bit of time....but yeah.
                                I don't feel so bad then, I'm just over 16 weeks on my bartlien stainless.
                                Last edited by Niles Coyote; 12-10-2016, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X