• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ahillock
    Warrior
    • Jan 2016

Help building 6.5 Grendel pistol/SBR

Looking for some thoughts and help building a 6.5 Grendel pistol/SBR. Going the pistol route first to see how I like it + see if any changes to SBR rules in the upcoming year before I commit to the $200 tax stamp.

I'll be going with the 12" Faxon group buy barrel. Other than that I don't have anything else planned. Probably go with a Shockwave Blade Pistol stock. Most likely a red dot with a potential magnifier?

No strong ties for lower or upper. Probably go with an Anderson or Aero Precision depending what has the best deal.

Any other thoughts?
  • Bigs28
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2016

I may have missed something but the only possible changes i have seen about nfa items has been suppressors. I didn't see anything in the hearing safe act about sbr's.

Comment

• ahillock
      Warrior
      • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Bigs28 View Post
      I may have missed something but the only possible changes i have seen about nfa items has been suppressors. I didn't see anything in the hearing safe act about sbr's.
      I said I want to see if any changes happen to SBR and the National Firearms Act. I don't want this to get into a political discussion, but with Trump + control of both houses I am interested in seeing what happens in the upcoming year before plopping down another $200 and waiting 6 months. Regardless or that issue, it doesn't affect this build as it will be a pistol build first. Whether I go for the $200 tax stop doesn't matter for the purpose of this thread. Thanks.

Comment

• Josh
        Bloodstained
        • Oct 2016

I've got an Aero non-FA upper for mine. I'll be using a B5 pistol grip, Geissele 9.5" Mk4 or Mk8, a 1.5" reflex mount from Diversified Machine, a Form 1 suppressor, a Vortex Strike Eagle in an Aero mount, undecided on the stock. Bolt will probably be a JP, and I've got a JP full mass carrier that I'll probably use. Trigger will be an SSA-E, I've got about half a dozen of them sitting in my parts bin.

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

Hearing Protection Act will likely lay foundation for getting SBRs off the NFA Tax License registry, which is not well recorded BTW.

Anyway, I would go the same route for the build: 12" barrel, pistol tube + Shockwave, but I would consider the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x scope instead of a RDS for my region.

East of the Mississippi, a RDS or low magnification optic makes a lot of sense too. Out here in the West, I would do at least a 1-4 if not the 1-6, or if money isn't an issue, the NightForce 2.5-10x24.
          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• ahillock
            Warrior
            • Jan 2016

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
            Hearing Protection Act will likely lay foundation for getting SBRs off the NFA Tax License registry, which is not well recorded BTW.

Anyway, I would go the same route for the build: 12" barrel, pistol tube + Shockwave, but I would consider the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x scope instead of a RDS for my region.

East of the Mississippi, a RDS or low magnification optic makes a lot of sense too. Out here in the West, I would do at least a 1-4 if not the 1-6, or if money isn't an issue, the NightForce 2.5-10x24.
            Thanks LRRPF52. I'm here in MI, so I thought a RDS would work well. I have a 16" that I have magnification on already. I'll have to think about that and see if I want to stick with the RDS idea or consider a low magnification optic.

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

If you're in the thick of the woods, an Aimpoint or other RDS makes perfect sense.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• ahillock
                Warrior
                • Jan 2016

Still trying to decide on the hand guard length for the 12" barrel. I like the look of the Noveske KX3/KX5 look on a pistol/SBR.

I like the look of that, until I decide if the suppressor route is one I want to do in the new year. Problem with those Noveske flash suppressor is that they weigh 7 ounces are are slightly over 3" in length. Not sure if I want that extra length + weight on a pistol/sbr.

Comment

• explorecaves
                  Warrior
                  • Sep 2014

I just ordered this for my 12 inch group buy build...

Comment

• jim_bob
                    Warrior
                    • Jul 2014

I like the 1-4 VXR Patrol on my 11.5" Grendel. I can use it as a red dot or put it on 4x to see what I'm contemplating on shooting. Been able to let a few smaller bucks walk due to the 4x. I'm a big fan of Mega Forged uppers and lowers, they are quality. SLR makes some sweet handguards in various lengths to complement that 12" pipe.

Comment

• CrisAnderson27
                      Bloodstained
                      • Sep 2016

Love my 12.5" pistol. Well, technically it's no longer a 'pistol', and is instead classified as a 'firearm' due to the vertical foregrip. I have a 10.5" pistol in .223/5.56 that takes up the truck/concealable point blank to 50yd role anyway...so no need to limit my Grendel.

I went with 3-9x32 for my optics btw. Im still exploring the various forms factors for optics though, so the glass on my guns are all fairly inexpensive, though they are all absolutely functional.

Weight on mine with the pig heavy scope is around 9.5lbs with a full magazine, but I also have a 10oz linear brake on there, which doesn't help.

All in all, I think you'll love your short barrel Grendel. Just remember, with a 100-123gr pill, your gun will likely still be within expansion velocity (+/- 1800fps) for quality hunting rounds out to 300yds plus. I know mine was putting Wolf 100g FMJBT rounds out at 2400fps average. That's why I chose an optic that would be useful up close, but could also stretch out a little at 9x. At 3x I can comfortably shoot my rig with both eyes open from point blank on out.

Comment

• wideglidejoe
                        Bloodstained
                        • Dec 2014

Not trying to hi-jack this thread, but for those that have replied that they already have 6.5 Gr pistols, are you shooting factory loads, or reloads with faster burning pistol powders for the shorter barrels?

Comment

• jim_bob
                          Warrior
                          • Jul 2014

I shoot factory Hornady 123 grain SSTs out of my 11.5" SBR. I haven't had any issues

Comment

• LRRPF52
                            Super Moderator
                            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by wideglidejoe View Post
                            Not trying to hi-jack this thread, but for those that have replied that they already have 6.5 Gr pistols, are you shooting factory loads, or reloads with faster burning pistol powders for the shorter barrels?
                            You don't want to change the propellant based on that, since it is burned mostly inside the case and maybe first inch of barrel.

As long as the port is the right diameter for the load/projectile/temp range, it will function.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• wideglidejoe
                              Bloodstained
                              • Dec 2014

jim bob & LRRPF52, thanks for quick replies! I'm just starting to play with a rifle upper in 6.5 Gr, I was thinking of putting together a AR pistol in 6.5 Gr too, just wondering if I could keep one stash of 6.5 ammo for both of them, or needing to keep separate loadings of 6.5 Gr, one for rifle, one for pistol. Thanks again, I'll keep watching this thread and others I've subscribed to concerning 6.5 AR pistols.

Comment

Working...
                              X