• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jmondy1284
    Unwashed
    • Dec 2016

Grendel first timer

hey guys, I don't really forum well and am brand new to the 65 world... I already have my build started and don't need much help in that area but any useful input is always nice... the real reason for this thread is reloading anyone with insight for reloading this caliber would be awesome... ie. websites, load data case recommendations. thanks guys.
  • LR1955
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by jmondy1284 View Post
    hey guys, I don't really forum well and am brand new to the 65 world... I already have my build started and don't need much help in that area but any useful input is always nice... the real reason for this thread is reloading anyone with insight for reloading this caliber would be awesome... ie. websites, load data case recommendations. thanks guys.
    JM:

Welcome!

The Grendel Reloading forum and the various stickies about loads and load data would be good places to start.

Also, a good idea is to buy the Grendel Reloading handbooks that LRRP52 sells. They are the most complete guide to reloading for the Grendel you will find.

LR55

Comment

• jmondy1284
      Unwashed
      • Dec 2016

awesome.. thanks ill be sure to check all that out.

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Welcome to the forum jmondy1284!

Comment

• Drillboss
          Warrior
          • Jan 2015

In addition to reload data, the handbooks include extensive information about reloading the Grendel and the performance of the round.

AmmoGuide.com contains an extensive database of handloads, including 669 for the Grendel. The site does charge a nominal subscription fee for the data.

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

Welcome aboard!

I will say that when I build an AR15 nowadays, it might as well be a different gun compared to how I approached their assembly in the early 1990s through early 2000s.

I figured that after a dozen or so in those early days, I knew all there was to know.......not even close.

Working with this cartridge, getting into the retro stuff, looking at what some of the accuracy shops do, and shooting a lot of high volume in the Arctic has really opened my eyes.

Picking Bill Alexander's wealth of knowledge about it opened the metallurgy and processes to levels that I had never even heard of, but made a lot of sense. I recently learned from him that he was trained by Eugene Stoner himself at one of the Royal Ordnance sessions where they had Stoner come and school them on the history, strategic steel selection for parts on the AR10 vs. AR15, how the bolt steel selection changed with the AR15 and why, and a bunch of other things I never knew he knew, even after knowing him for several years and picking his brain.

It's astonishing how much information and experience just one man has accumulated not only on the AR15, but on optics, metallic case cartridge technology, developmental systems, and anything arms-related. I think he spent a lot of time working on mechanized armor as well, which makes small arms engineering challenges pale in comparison.
            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• The Profit Joseph Sith
              Warrior
              • Nov 2016

Seasons greeting's! And welcome a hoard...i mean aboard! I HIGHLY recccomend anyone cast thier chamber to create rounds made specific to that firearms chamber. Just like the military sniper armories do. It's pretty simple and the alloy isn't to expensive. I use a product called Cerro safe made from a local company called alloy or hitech alloy. The old guy who owns it is SUPER NICE awesome dude. Plus if your into machining there's alot of cool stuff you can do with his other products. They also sell to major companies such as brownells and Boeing to name a few. The guys old school friendly I'd just rather deal directly with him.

In theory I guess you MIGHT be able to cast your entire bore to inspect the rifling as well. And although I'm not quite pro at the ins and outs of reloading yet...but I'm SURE Lee, RCBS, Forster, Wilson or some one will make a exact sizer bushing or cut the sizer die to match your chamber exactly if you send them the chamber casting.
              AR chambers are a little bit of a pita to cast I roll up a piece of PTFE or Teflon tape so it fits kinda snuggly in the extension lugs so it doesn't fill the area under them or you'll never get it out.

Read this for more info on Casting gun chambered. http://hitechalloys.com/hitechalloys_009.htm

Comment

Working...
              X