any chance of grendel for less pelt damage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dammitman
    Warrior
    • Dec 2012

any chance of grendel for less pelt damage?

i would love to use my light 16 inch grendel for some bobcat dispatch but with as little pelt damage as possible. maybe lower loaded velocity 95 grain bullets? of course i understand that shot placement is most important but what about it? maybe just a bad idea. i have a rather heavy 22 magnum bolt action but it is heavy and cumbersome. thought about lower loaded 223 but everything i can read says wont cycle in AR platform. also trouble is just as likley a coyote will be called into the mix so it would be nice to have a bit more firepower than a 22 magnum. any ideas?
  • Kilco
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2016

I'm not sure that 6.5 Grendel is the key for minimum pelt damage.. I use a 17 Hornet for minimum pelt dmg. Pin hole entrance and never an exit wound. A youtuber did a test wit the hornet and found it wouldn't even exit a 12oz coke can.

The long 6.5 bullets are known for penetrarion, just the opposite of what you are looking to do.

If you are determined though, I would look at the 6.5 grendel handloading books LRRPF52 has with some excellent expansion charts at different velocities so you will know what to expect.

Comment

• dammitman
      Warrior
      • Dec 2012

I think your right for sure. I really dont want to need another caliber but, if i must! A friend of mine has a 17 hornet and like you, says its perfect. How about that hornet on a coyote? I suppose shot placement would be the factor there. I will check my grendel manuals for that data though. Thanks!

Comment

• Kilco
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2016

17 Hornet with a decently places bullet will drop a coyote in its tracks. Most yotes here in Maine are anywhere from 30-40 pounds (adults anyways). I've tried the 204 ruger, and was getting softball sized exit wounds.. biggest cartridges I've tried that won't mangle pelts are 17 Hornet, 17 Fireball, 17 remington, 20 vartarg, 20 practical, and 221 fireball. Out of all of those the 17 Hornet is the most chambered and easy to get reloading supplied, as it's a Hornady developed cartridge, and Hornady does a hell of a job keeping there cartridges alive and thriving.

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

I know people scoff at the 17 HMR but I have friends who have taken numerous coyotes with the 17 HMR but they won't shoot them at great distance. If a 17 HMR will work I have no doubt about a 17 Hornet. I wouldn't hesitate using a 17 HMR on a Bobcat. If I was going to use my 6.5 Grendel I'd use some 85 grain Sierra varmints but I still think they would do a lot of damage. I'd be interested in seeing what a 107 grain Sierra Match King would do to a bobcat. I know people don't recommend FMJ but a FMJ on a bobcat would leave a diameter hole in and out. Lapua sells several different weight FMJ and it would be interesting to see what a 110 grain PPU FMJ would do. From my water testing the 110 grain bullet would zip right through but you have more down range hazard.
          Last edited by VASCAR2; 12-07-2016, 03:47 PM.

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
            Chieftain
            • May 2012

you could also try the nosler lead free balistic tip varmint bullets, i have played around with the 55gr 6mm and the the 40 grain 223 the both turn to dust inside a milk jug

that said there ar 2 schools of thought when it comes tp pelt preservation high velocity bullet that explodes or moderate velocity bullet that does not expand or tumble for 2 small holes my go to is just a simple 22lr as long as the range is close and just put it in thier ear
            Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• dammitman
              Warrior
              • Dec 2012

Im looking for a 17 hornet barrel for my older contender pistol. I have read they made them but havent seen if they were 10 inch or 14. I would like a nice condition blued one. I will be hunting that down and in the mean time i have a 22WMR bolt action ruger to use. A new quest has begun,,,,,

Comment

• VASCAR2
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

This thread prompted me to conduct a test that I have been considering for some time. I've used the 6.5 Grendel on varmints but I wasn't cocerned about saving the pelts. I'm not sure this will be of any benefit but I found it to be an interesting test.

My personal opinion and observation is that there is no significant difference in penetration or expansion/tissue destruction between the three most common light weight varmint bullets (85 grain SV, 90 grain TNT or 95 grain V-Max) in 6.5 Grendel.

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...let-water-test.

Comment

• terrywick4
                  Warrior
                  • Sep 2014

why not just use a full metal jacketed bullet that is made not to expand? TNT and v max are made to expand and make big holes.

Comment

• toolsofthetrade
                    Warrior
                    • May 2011

95gr vmax

Comment

• VASCAR2
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by toolsofthetrade View Post
                      95gr vmax
                      Toolsofthetrade have you taken any bobcats or foxes with your 6.5 Grendel with 95 grain V-Max. If so what yardage and was there a lot of pelt damage?

Comment

• 85_Ranger4x4
                        Warrior
                        • Nov 2016

Are you trapping or hunting?

I trap raccoons and possums around my acreage, I use my .22LR rifle to dispatch them. It is pretty unhandy to shoot them in a live trap, I want to get a .22 pistol for it. You are chasing bigger stuff than me but when they are in a trap I don't really need a rifle to shoot something a foot or two away that can't go anywhere.

If you are hunting... disregard.

Comment

• toolsofthetrade
                          Warrior
                          • May 2011

yes ive taken a grey fox, blew through the shoulder, nothing a little sewing couldn't fix, no cats yet

Comment

• toolsofthetrade
                            Warrior
                            • May 2011

typical exit on coyote

exit on grey fox at about 50-60yds
                            Last edited by toolsofthetrade; 12-09-2016, 07:54 PM.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2011

I really expected more damage on the fox from the 95 grain V-Max. Thanks for the info toolsofthetrade.

Comment

Working...
                              X