any chance of grendel for less pelt damage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sneaky one
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Tools, have you tried the 100 barnes at lower velocities ? If you want, send me some , I'll cut them to 75 -80 grns. to cycle thru the action at decent enuff speeds- can always use a lighter buffer.. Way less sewing for you.

What's your avg. shot distances ?

That vmax is too destructive on pelts. I wish the barnes 110 solid was still on the market. Maybe Tronald Dump will help us out. Hanka's machinist guy in Cali is fly by nite, but, he could make solid pills - if the gov. would ease the restriction of brass solid pills. They are used in Africa on big game.

RS has made some on his lathe,,, hmmmmm. As long as they are not for sale as retail- all is legal! There ya go guys, I found a way for y'all again ,. RS, get ready !!!!!!

Ricsmall forum member, I better text him , hang on a bit...

But here , they defeat body armor, ---really? It's not bonnie & clyde times here ,

Is dammitman listening? Guess we'll find out .
    Last edited by sneaky one; 12-11-2016, 12:14 AM.

Comment

• dammitman
      Warrior
      • Dec 2012

i like that idea. i dont get as much a chance to test bullets on realistic targets unless actual targets and i really dont want to mess up the few i get to shoot. i bet thata a solid bullets would be good for just 2 holes unless it tumbled after entry. i will keep an eye out for this to develop. nice pics of actual damage done. i did get a bobcat friday late afternoon but used my 22WMR ruger american. one small hole in, no out.

Comment

• toolsofthetrade
        Warrior
        • May 2011

sneaky, I have not yet tried the barnes on them, most of my shots hover between 50 and 100yds with a few out to 200 and some less than 50, i have given some 100 TTSX to a buddy of mine to try out, just waiting for results on game

as shown in the top coyote, that is average pelt damage, unless you hit bone, ive had some that didint expand and some that didint exit
        these ones were shot with the 95gr VMAX

Comment

• Coty
          Unwashed
          • Sep 2015

I shot a raccoon at about 30 yards with Barnes TTSX 100 grain. When I shoot deer, I do a heart / lung shot to avoid shoulder meat damage. My experience is that the 100 gr TTSX blows right through deer and leaves a pencil size exit wound. I shot 4 deer this year with the TTSX and switched to 123 gr Hornady SST for the 5th one, a buck. The SST did a lot of damage and did not exit the other side, hitting rib, heart and lung. Back to the raccoon. I hit his shoulder on the opposite side and it pretty much took the leg off. I guess the closer range and bone. If you got a soft tissue shot it might work.

Comment

• Trapper
            Bloodstained
            • Sep 2014

As much as I love my Grendels, I coyote hunt all year around and use a .20 Practical with a 35 grain Berger bullet and 22 grains of IMR 4198 and get 3750 fps out of them. 95% of the time they don't come threw both sides. My Grendels are tough on coyotes, and making for creative sewing.

Comment

Working...
            X